• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Joys of discontinued products

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
Hey all,
I've found a wierd habit in my RPG book buying of late. When a product line gets discontinued, especially a well-received or long-lived line, the likelihood of my purchasing those books goes way up.

I heard CoC d20 was going OOP... I bought it within 2 weeks.

World of Darkness gets scrapped...I bought several of the books, despite not picking up any in half a year (mainly becuase I'm not running it at the moment)

Shadowforce Archer discontinued...I know have the main book and will probably have several supplements soon.

Admittedly when a line is discontinued their books tend to show up in the Used bin quickly, and that helps, but as soon as an announcement comes out my wallet starts whimpering. I'll be picking up the book new or used pretty quickly.

Just wondering if anybody else has this odd little habit?

drakhe

First Post
kinda like your symptoms but not entirely...

It happens to me aswell, but only if the oop item is released as PDF. Did buy a sh*tload of ADND stuff as PDF and I've been looking hard at a lot of the stuff on SVGames, RPGNow and drivethrurpg....

Darth K'Trava

First Post
I don't buy stuff just because it's discontinued. I have a shortage of funds to do so with. And most gaming-related stuff I'm not interested in. I have picked up a few AD&D books for the "fluff value" in them that 3ed just doesn't have.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I understand this impulse. I have it myself. I saw the Complete Book of Necromancers a few weeks ago, and despite having a copy in electronic format (as the expansion for my copy of the Core Rules CD-ROM v.2 Expansion), I bought it anyway...though the $3 price tag helped in that regard.

scourger

Explorer
I think part of the attraction is scarcity. We want what is scarce.

Also, there is some appeal to something that is defined and closed. It's easier to get into a game that doesn't have a million new book coming out.

mossfoot

First Post
True enough. It would be nice to have a "complete" system that way, instead of something that always feels like it's in a state of flux.

Ahhh, if only I had my old Top Secret S.I. game... that rocked :D

Psion

Adventurer
Well, FFG started selling their Dragonstar setting book bundle cheap, and most speculate that we won't see anymore. It's a neat little setting, albeit some of the books are a bit weak.

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
Psion said:
Well, FFG started selling their Dragonstar setting book bundle cheap, and most speculate that we won't see anymore. It's a neat little setting, albeit some of the books are a bit weak.

Oh mannn...I've been looking at Dragonstar quite a bit lately. While if it got discontinued I definately would pick it up (I think the idea of "okay buy it now or I'll never see it again" is a big motivator), but I don't want the line to get canned.

hehe..if I keep this going I might end up being the 'bad luck of the line' guy...all the publishing companies will be sending me ads saying "please DON'T like our product". ;)

Last edited:

Cyberhawk said:
Oh mannn...I've been looking at Dragonstar quite a bit lately. While if it got discontinued I definately would pick it up (I think the idea of "okay buy it now or I'll never see it again" is a big motivator), but I don't want the line to get canned.
If you are interested, I have the Dragonstar Starfarer's Handbook and the Guide to the Galaxy that I'd be willing to trade or sell to you cheap. I got them in a trade, read them, but it's not my type of game. Nicely done, but not for me. If you are interested, PM me or post here.

Remove ads