• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Keep on the Borderland in FR?

The Big BZ

Explorer
I'm starting to prep the (fantastic) Goodman Game's update and want to site in the present day Forgotten Realms. Does anybody have any recommendations as to location? I want somewhere that has a genuine Borderlands feel but at the same time I want a current regional power that has a decent amount of 5e presence to have an a genuine interest in civilising it.

Thanks in advance!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Vaasa, Damara and Narfell are all less populated than some while having interesting civilization spots. They have that ''borderland'' feel to them, with a large portion of their respective territory being unoccupied. Its also a region that has a long history of devil worshiping, dark cultist making pact in remote locations and evil overlords assembling armies of beasties to invade their neighbor.

Their's also Citadel Rashemen, a small bastion in the Sunrise mountains, protecting the land against invasions.

The Big BZ

Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys! Silver Marches had been my first thought and maybe Cormyr but I'll have a a good look at those others mentioned now!

aco175

Legend
I would place it in an area I know well and have material on covering. For myself, I may go with the area east of Daggerford, near Loudwater. The wilderness is the approach to the desert and the civilization is the region around Waterdeep. I also do not have any problems with removing some mountains and towns to make way for the borderlands.

I second the Bloodstone Lands. They’re remote, but still have enough civilization that a fortified guardpost makes sense. But in full disclosure, I’ve been wanting to run a campaign in that locale for decades.

Vaasa, Damara and Narfell are all less populated than some while having interesting civilization spots.

Shiroiken

Legend
When my DM ran it during the playtest, he put it just north of Cormyr bordering with the Stonelands. The Bloodstone lands would probably also be really good, but wasn't it tamed?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
When my DM ran it during the playtest, he put it just north of Cormyr bordering with the Stonelands. The Bloodstone lands would probably also be really good, but wasn't it tamed?

Damara seems to be ok-ish and I would use it as ''the civilized place'', putting the Keep somewhere on the border between Damara and Vaasa (with the army of darknights from Castle Perilous) or on the border between Damara and Narfell. I would prefer Narfell because of the ''devil summoning'' theme.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The borderlands of Cormyr would be good.
If you are fully-updated, someplace around Eversult (where is that permanent sun hanging in the sky?) would also work.
The not-well-governed lands between Balders Gate and Tethyr / Amn could work also; there are a few monster-infested mountains / hill ranges in the region.
If you want a different feel, place the Keep so that Mulhorand is 'civilization'.
Impiltur has a demon problem, and so demons could be the power behind Evil Chaos.

Another possibility (takes more work): put the Keep and the Caves on an island in an ocean where pirates roam. The Keep was built to discourage piracy but discovered something else in their back yard.

Remove ads