The Keep on the Borderlands - Location?

loki44

Explorer
Didn't the Greyhawk maps that have come with the last few issues of Dungeon include the "official" locations of many of the old mods? I'd have to pull mine out to know for sure.

diaglo

Adventurer
loki44 said:
Didn't the Greyhawk maps that have come with the last few issues of Dungeon include the "official" locations of many of the old mods? I'd have to pull mine out to know for sure.

the World of Greyhawk Folio (1980) had the locations of some of the modules listed.

i don't think B2 was one of them.

loki44

Explorer
diaglo said:
the World of Greyhawk Folio (1980) had the locations of some of the modules listed. i don't think B2 was one of them.

It's not listed anywhere I could see on the new Greyhawk maps. Not on the folio map either. I hadn't looked at that old folio map for quite some time and it had less detail than I remembered.

johnsemlak

First Post
I don't have it in front of me, but the (original) module does refer to the more civilized lands, 'the realm' as being located to the west I believe. It's pretty much the only geographical reference in the module beyond the wilderness map.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
I don't have it in front of me, but the (original) module does refer to the more civilized lands, 'the realm' as being located to the west I believe. It's pretty much the only geographical reference in the module beyond the wilderness map.

That's correct - which seems weird with it's placing in Greyhawk (the southwestern most part of the Yeomanry). Since the keep would then abut the Crystalmist Mts., that would make "The Realm" either the Dry Steppes or the Sea of Dust.

In addition to the western Pomarj, I'm looking at the Keoland/Grand March/Geoff/Sterich area. This would give Geoff or Sterich as possibilites for "The Realm" and the Rushmoors as a possibility for the "fens of the lizard-men".

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
those new WoG maps from Dungeon magazine have the locations of the old modules placed on the map. you might want to check that out and see if you can find it.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
BOZ said:
those new WoG maps from Dungeon magazine have the locations of the old modules placed on the map. you might want to check that out and see if you can find it.

Looked already at the location given in Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (extreme southwestern Yeomanry). It 'taint there.

George Kelley

First Post
I am wondering what is downstream of the Keep. There are deep hardwood forests in close proximity to a river, which means that the real wealth of that area is in timber industry. The hardwood logs could be floated down the river to a larger town where they can be milled into lumber and sold. Player characters can negotiate a percentage of the profits as stockholders as payment for the service of clearing out of the humanoids from the caves of chaos which threaten the Keep.

As the wild forests are harvested, fruit orchards and vinyards can be planted. Oak trees will be needed for barrel making, Wine and Cider can be floated downriver in keelboats to a larger town or city.

Remove ads