D&D 5E The Key to Having a Midnight Release at Your LGS May Be

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Just asking.

Seriously.

Back in the 3e days, I asked if they were going to have a midnight release. The owner hadn't thought about it. A month later, they had an awesome event for the 3e release.

Yesterday, I went to my LGS, and asked if they'd thought about having a midnight release for 5e. The owner hadn't, but he asked me some logistics questions, which I was able to answer. I volunteered to run the Starter Set for people from 8 or 9 to midnight. He's going to let me know in a day or two if we're a go. He seemed highly receptive to the idea; he just wanted to clear things with his business (and life) partner first.

So if you've a hankering for not getting enough sleep, but none of your LGS are having a midnight release party, try asking them. They may say "no", but they may also just have no idea of the interest.

This time around, there is also the distinction that WPN stores get the books a full 11 days ahead of Amazon. In my mind, the stores should push that benefit as hard as they can.

Thaumaturge.

Random edition-warring negation side note: I also attended a 4e midnight release. It just wasn't my idea.

Thaumaturge

It's a lot of fun. The 4e experience was my least favorite, because the store closed at their normal time, had us line up outside, and then opened at midnight. But even that was fun. It's neat to be surrounded by friends and strangers who are all excited about the same geeky thing you are.

The 3e midnight release that I used as a model for the 5e pitch was even better. For the people who haven't been keeping as close an eye on events as us, it's their first time to experience even the basic rules. We all get to talk about what we've heard and expect to be in the PH(B). I expect it to be a blast.

For 3e I was a, relatively, fresh faced college kid. Now I'm going to be the old neckbeard running the games.

And, man, midnight release for Win95? You know how to party.

Thaumaturge.

Talath

Explorer
And, man, midnight release for Win95? You know how to party.

Thaumaturge.

I think I was 12 and my dad asked if I wanted windows 95 on my computer when it released, and I told him no. He look kinda flabbergasted and asked me why, and I said "I know how to use ms-dos, I don't know how to use windows!"

Back to relevancy, I'll have to ask if Gamescape will do a midnight release party. I would go to that.

dream66_

First Post
My (notF)LGS is rather against the idea of DND in general not as much profit as Magic Cards and paintball accessories. and previously turned down the idea of Encounters hosted there as he didn't want to stay open past 7.

so yeah, unlikely.

I do have a friendly local game store that might be up for it, but I don't actually know when 5e is releasing. What do you think a release event should entail? One-shots?

Thaumaturge

"I know how to use ms-dos, I don't know how to use windows!"

This was my exact feeling about the situation.

I'll have to ask if Gamescape will do a midnight release party. I would go to that.

Let us know how it goes. :)

My (notF)LGS is rather against the idea of DND in general not as much profit as Magic Cards and paintball accessories. and previously turned down the idea of Encounters hosted there as he didn't want to stay open past 7.

so yeah, unlikely.

This is definitely a possibility. And I honestly expected a similar response from my LGS. The store owner felt burned by 4e. But he was surprisingly receptive and very positive on 5e.

That's not to say you are wrong about your situation. But to encourage people to take the chance; owners' minds can change. The worst that can happen is they take away your magic powers.

Thaumaturge.

Thaumaturge

I do have a friendly local game store that might be up for it, but I don't actually know when 5e is releasing. What do you think a release event should entail? One-shots?

If they are a WPN store, it releases Aug 8th (so Thursday night to Friday). If they are not, Aug 19th. EDIT: They should know which they are. If they don't, ask them when they got the Starter Set.

I'm planning on running the Starter Set. With the current set-up, I'll print out a bunch of Adventurers League log-sheets, and fill them out for people. That way, when we finish the first bit of the Starter Set, people have legal characters for any other AL stuff. This helps the store drum up interest for their other AL stuff (Encounters mostly), which is nice.

Thaumaturge.

>he didn't want to stay open past 7

I quit shopping at FLGSs that aren't open at night, particularly weekend nights. That's generally the only time I have to do any shopping.

That's one of the problems with a lot of small businesses. The owners want to keep the store open during the hours they want to work, versus the hours that people are more likely to shop there. Since the majority of customers at FLGSs are adults, evening hours make a lot more sense than morning ones, at least on weekdays.

Remove ads