The Key to Victory

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Malaroc remembers the warrior from the battle but not his name, holding off a second he looks about to speak but Cedric beats him to it.

"I bet you are that Trinham fellow we talked to in are heads aren't you." he says with a smile.

"I am," Trinham answers turning back to look at the manor, then off towards the villiage. Trinham sighs as he notices Jareth didn't follow.

"I knew that Jareth guy wouldn't show up. You can always tell the ones with to much stubborness flowing through their veins. Even if you do only talk to them in your head. Come aboard, we are about to leave." Cedric says holding out a hand, then helping Trinham aboard.

The two are just about to start paddling when Trinham says hurriedly, "Wait! Hold on one second. Please." They hold as Trinham stares at the shore he just left. He holds out his arms and suddenly a white and orange cat leaps into them. "Your getting heavy." he says with a grunt turning to nod to the others he is ready to go now. "All that mousing and then lying around have made you fat Mogins."

The cat just looks at him through half closed lids as if saying "I am suppose to lie around it's my job."

The three men on the boat move through the waters of the river and head towards the otherside and uncertainty.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Trinham leaves for the boat and Jareth heads towards the manor, both leaving Lora standing alone. A commander with no force.

Jareth heads towards the manor but realizes excatly where the hydra is blocks him from using the main doors, unless he wants to fight his way to them. He quickly draws up what he remembers of the place and thinks he saw a flood gate on the river side wall.

[sblock=OOC] There is no stay away from the bridge to get to the manor unless you go around and through the river. I have attached a map I know it's been awhile since you probably saw one. X is the hydra's location. [/sblock]

Attachments

• eilean_donan_castle_scotavia1p.jpg
    eilean_donan_castle_scotavia1p.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 60

ghostcat

First Post
Trinham arrived at the boat slightly breathless. He may have had a lot of exercise in the lost few weeks but he is still far from fit. Settling down in the boat, with Moggins in his arms, he says "I know we have fought together and spoken mentally but we haven't been formally introduced. I'm Trinham Woods and this is my familiar Mogins."

Trinham listens attentively as the others introduce themselves and then starts looking at the strange boat. "Nice boat. Emma's I presume." he says to Malaroc. "By the way. Who or what is she? She ignored the question when I asked her."

The boat starts to approach the opposite shore, "So has anyone the foggiest idea were we are supposed to go from here? By the way. Has anyone brought any food?"

[sblock=OOC]Spellcraft check to identify boat and runes (1d20+12=32)
What a waste of a natural 20 :([/sblock]

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth curses as he sees the hydra blocking the way, and knows he can't make the swim to the river gate. His fists clench in anger and for one half-moment, he considers attacking the beast with his fire magic. He remembers his words, though, snarls again and spins around, heading for the army's new encampment. Fat lot of good you people did to help me, during that wonderful little incarceration earlier. The hydra can take you, for all I care.

The red-haired human walks briskly, looking for Fallon or his cart as he goes.

Myth and Legend

First Post
[sblock=Flashback]Lora was thinking of Mirella, her tutor. The townfolk knew her as "the witch that lives in the woods" and they avoided her, even shunned her when she came to buy supplies or trade herbs or potions for food.

But when their children got ill or when their livestock was dying of the Yellow Pus they suddenly remembered her and dared knock on the door of her secluded cottage. If a field withered, or if winter was taking too long to succumb to spring, they would immediately blame it on the witch. Fortunately Mirella was smart and understood their way of thinking, and never held a grudge.

The girl now remembered learning Ray of Stupidity. She had laughed - a rare sight beyond her thirteenth year. A spell that can make someone stupid almost called for pranks! Mirella had gotten a serious expression and shaken her finger - a more fright inducing sight then Lora's father raising his hand to slap her bottom.

"You must never use this spell on a man unless you want to kill him or you are prepared to nurse him back to health for weeks! Do you remember Will Tellerby, when he fell from his uncle's chestnut tree?"

Lora had nodded and replied: "Yes, he was lying in bed and couldn't move or talk, or even open his eyes."

"Well you will do the same thing to someone by casting this, and it will leave them as such for several days. Do you remember Will's mother? How much she cried until that priest came from the capital? Never use this spell unless you are full aware of what you are doing!"

Lora was sitting there, the autumn leaves blowing trough the half open door of the hut. A cauldron was bubling softly in the back of the room, and the air was filled with the smell of herbs. "So why are you teaching me then?!" The girl had replied with annoyance. Upon reflecting on this now, Lora was thankful that Mirella as a truly patient and good woman.

"Because it might be the only way you can survive the attack of an animal or worse - a monster. This spell severs important links inside a person's consciousness, leaving them unable to do anything but breathe. Target a bear or a wolf, and it will drop to the ground, completely helpless."

Lora had never cast this spell, until today. She had prepared it, carefully reading the incantations from her spellbook this morning, before the battle had started. She had not used it against the Treylor - a soldier dying by the sword was honorable. Being reduced to a vegetable made of flesh was not. Now it was time - the Hydra had resurfaced, just as Lora had planned.[/sblock]

There it was, huge, four headed and vicious, it's roar loud even from this distance. "It has four heads! Damn it!" for a moment Lora thought the spell would be ineffective. But it didn't harm the brain, it harmed the mind, the consciousness. And that thing was dumb enough to be lead astray by her Dancing Lights.

The girl got within thirty feet of the monster, her feet shaking as she dropped her glaive and formed the sign with her left hand, while retrieveing the small cone hat replica from her spell component pouch. Making the triangle sigil with her fingers, she uttered the words: "INJASA!"

A yellow beam shot out, bright and vivid, with a low humming tone emitting form it. Almost as if someone was thinking hard on a question.

[sblock]HP:20/20, Fort: +5, Will: +3, Ref: +3, AC: 13, Attack (handheld/missile): +4

0 level: Daze, Light, Message, Dancing Lights
1 level: Shield, Mage Armor, Benign Transposition x 2
2 level: Glitterdust, Ray of Stupidity x 21[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The three men in the magical boat reach the far shore of the river quickly and quietly. They pull up to a rather small beach like area that allows them to pull the boat up onto shore. The night is still new and the decide to venture further in before camping for the night.

But the forest is especially dark and noone wants to bring forth a light that might be seen across the river, so they only move about a half mile in before setting camp. The fire is small and in a shallow hole but at least it is some light in the thick dark forest.

Sitting close they hear a cry takin up by many voices, coming from Harkon.

"Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!"

[sblock=OOC] A little RP about what you plan, so I know but I'm thinking help will arrive before you know it. ;) [/sblock]

Jareth heads out into the darkness wondering where the camp might just be... and then smiles. Of course they will be close to the battlesite or at least someone will still be there taking care of the dead. He will find someone there to ask.

He sets out picking up his pace now that he knows where he is going. Only moments after exiting the farside of the villiage and following the road he hears the men of Harkon.

"Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!"

[sblock=OOC] Heading out will put you into this thread I will post you in tommorrow night after I decide whether or not there is something nasty out in the dark. [/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Lora approaches the bridge and sees the hydra towering over the edge it's head taking arrow fire from the battlements. Knowing she needs to get closer she advances cautiously towards the beast.

She starts to hear the sounds of men advancing from the gate. A charge has issued forth because the arrows aren't hurting the hydra. Throwing caution to the wind, Lora moves forward quickly or she knows more Harkon men will die, or worse... Arthur.

She gets close and sees men being flung back by the great beast as it's four heads swing to and fro, attacking all in it's path. Then she sees Vance and he sees her.

"Lora what are you... tal'wizen get to her! Get her out of here!" he shouts above the roar of the beast.

Lora stands resolute before the great hydra. A beast of strength, a monster of death. And the tiny woman seems like a fly next to a grizzly bear as she stands now in it's devastaing path.

"Lora!!" Vance yells desperatly from the other side, one of the creatures heads blocking his way as the other three heads eye Lora standing there. But she doesn't hear the cries of the men or of Vance. The only thing she hears is the voice of her tutor and the words of the spell coming from her own lips.

From Vance's limited view he sees only the halo of yellow light from the otherside of the hydra and then watches as the four necks all rear up and screech out in pain. The beast then claws at the ground but finds no perches, it tumbles back down the side of the bridge and lands half in and out of the river it looks dead it's necks all flailed about, but it yet breathes. The young lord looks back to where Lora stands, arms still extended and the tiniest yellow glow of her magic yet fading away.

Removing his helment he advances to where she stands and before reaching her he takes to one knee before her. "Mi'lady Loreen, I... I," he looks slightly abashed. And holds his sword before himself point down on the bridge. "I pledge myself to you and your cause, great lady." he says solemnly.

"Never will I allow any harm to come to thee. Never will I allow harm to come to those you hold dear. And never will thy know suffering while I still draw breath, this I do pledge to you." he says using an knightly oath from days long forgotten.

Rising he looks about to see the men of Harkon and Brend watching him. He then holds his blade aloof, "Three cheers, the savor of Harkon! Three cheers the Heroine of the Western Woods! Three cheers the Wizardess Winmer!"

The men of Harkon all raise their blades or bows and cheer.

Huzzah!! Huzzah!! Huzzah!!

[sblock=OOC] Let's continue the epic adventures of Lora here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/295897-off-war-duet-lora.html ;) [/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Trinham, Malaroc, and Cedric spend a quiet evening camping on the other side of the river. They had taken to bedding down, after no more roaring or cheering could be heard hoping for an early start.

The following morning the sit around the cold fire pit and chew on a tough breakfast of dried meat, washing it down with water. The only one who had brought any food was Malaroc and that was not enough for all three, and would not last their first day.

Cedric had just put his spellbook away (wondering when he would ever be able to master the more potent spells in it), and had just joined the other two when the group hears a crack of a stepped on branch come from not ten yards from them.

"Who's out there?" Cedric asks hand in his spell pouch. Far takes to the sky cawing but the mage knows the bird is just setting out to get a better look, and will warn him if nessacary.

"I am a guardian of these shores human. And you shouldn't be here go back to your side of the river." comes a feminine voice from behind the trees.

[sblock=OOC] Brush up on those survival skills LOL, just kidding. No init needed just let me know what you want to do and Lughart please give me a spell list for the day - thanks [/sblock]

Lughart

First Post
After the initial shock, Cedric realizes it is time for great caution. "Please hear us out. I think you may agree we have business here, should you let us speak our piece."

[sblock=OOC]Lvl 0:
Detect magic

Lvl 1:
Mage armor
Magic missile
Magic weapon[/sblock]

ghostcat

First Post
When Trinham hears the voice from out of the darkness his hand automatically moves towards his sword. Deciding that diplomacy is better than a conflict, he instead interlocks his fingers and puts his hands behind his head. Trying to make it clear that he does not intend to cast any spells. Trinham then calls out "Lady why don't you come out were we can see you. Its hard to talk with a disembodied voice."

Meanwhile Moggins makes himself scarce, hiding up a tree out of harms way.

[sblock=OOC]Attempt at Diplomacy (untrained (+4)[/sblock]

Remove ads