• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Last Temptation of A Roper [In Nomine]

moritheil

First Post
A little background: For about four years, I GMed what is probably the world's longest-running, continuous, internet-based In Nomine story. (Beth McCoy/Neel Krishwani/Moe Lane fans, eat your heart out. :p ) It actually consisted of two campaigns, one set on the Corporeal Plane and one set in the Ethereal. By the end of the second campaign, time concerns made continuing impossible, and the projected third season never saw play.

Now, inspired by an idea I developed in Voadam's thread, I would like to run an In Nomine PbP. The fundamental basis for this campaign is that it is essentially a morality play; the mechanics of In Nomine lend themselves naturally to such a campaign taking place on the Ethereal Plane.

[sblock=original idea post]Due to the "temptation" bit, I was thinking more along the lines of:

An abnormally virtuous roper knows that there are no more of its kind around. Recently, a passing succubus took note of its virtue, and resolved to corrupt it and turn it around to the slaughter of hapless passerby. The roper wants to have offspring, but it does not want itself or its offspring to become the sort of aggressive monster that the rest of its kind is, doomed to know no better in life. The succubus knows that its failure to produce progeny due to its distance from its kind has embittered it, and regularly visits to drive home the point that now she and she alone can grant it progeny.

This encounter is thus a morality play; players get XP for defeating the succubus and driving it off, but more XP for forcing the roper to confront its inner demons and regrets and let go of them.

Actually, this would make one heck of a weird movie.

Maybe the succubus is just posing as a remaining roper that also survived the destruction of their kind. Maybe some deep, soul-burning urge to have progeny threatens to overwhelm its rational mind. Maybe even some combination thereof.[/sblock]

Note that default In Nomine is essentially "real world" with a fantasy backdrop and cinematic combat. However, unlike a standard morality play, the central figure here is a monster. (Technically speaking, it is an Ethereal being in In Nomine parlance.)

I will take at most two angelic and two demonic players. Ethereals will be considered, but must be nominally aligned with angels or demons in a strategic sense. The campaign will run until the roper makes its decision.

If you are confused as to what In Nomine's rules entail, here are some links.

As we know, succubus is not an official demonic band. However, there are numerous ways to fill that role within In Nomine mechanics: almost any demon of Lust, Impudite, Balseraph, or Lilim could do something very similar.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
*raises his hand*

Oooh! Ooh! Pick me!

I've never played before, but have the book and have been wanting to try it out.

:D

Vertexx69

First Post
Wow In Nomine, its been years! I have an old Impudite Temptress of Fire, Technology & Death Evangelina Desade :) but my book has been lost to the sands of time.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Since I have no experience, I'd guess angel would be easier for me to play.

Ambrus

Explorer
So the idea is to build a mixed angel/demon group? I'm a bit confused about the inclusion of a roper; your intention is to use the In-Nomine rules and characters in a D&D-style campaign setting?

moritheil

First Post
Ambrus said:
So the idea is to build a mixed angel/demon group? I'm a bit confused about the inclusion of a roper; your intention is to use the In-Nomine rules and characters in a D&D-style campaign setting?

Sorry, this bears explaining. The roper is an Ethereal (a being of dreamstuff given sentience by the thoughts and desires of all the humans who play role playing games.)

The setting will be from In Nomine. It just won't be focused on the Corporeal Plane the way most normal In Nomine campaigns are. :)

Regarding the angels and demons, no, it's not a mixed group that wants the same goal, but it is a mixed campaign. That is, the angels and demons are working at cross purposes; it's up to you whether or not you cooperate, negotiate a deal everyone can live with, betray one another, or openly fight (though open fighting in In Nomine tends to be highly counterproductive to everyone involved, as I'm sure veteran players realize.)

moritheil

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Since I have no experience, I'd guess angel would be easier for me to play.

Okay . . . have you got a character concept yet? Or questions? ;)

I suppose I should offer my observations on what Words might be suitable.

Immediately Relevant
Destiny, Animals, War, Dreams, Fire, The Sword, Creation

Acceptable
Stone, Trade, Flowers

Unlikely To Fit In
Lightning, Judgment, Wind

Totally Unsuited To Starting Players
Purity

Note that I have only listed the major Archangels. At this point in time, I'd rather not complicate things by offering any minor Superiors. They are less playtested and less thematically obvious, and I'm not likely to remember the rules properly. ;)

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
So the celestials are somewhere in an RPG-inspired area of the Marches trying to corrupt or redeem a single dream-spawned D&D roper? I have to admit that that's a, uh, pretty unique campaign theme you're pitching. May I ask, why a roper?

Remove ads