• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The "Lawful" alignment, and why "Lawful Evil" is NOT an oxymoron!

You're falling into the trap that many fall into. Those things are what the LE character generally believes. They do murder people, so they don't care about life. Can he care about his wife's life? Yes, absolutely. Just because they generally have no care for life, doesn't mean that they cannot ever care about a life. The same goes for mercy. They are perfectly capable of showing mercy when it suits them or in specific instances, such as to children.

There are many degrees of evil. Not all evil characters commit murder. You can be lawful evil, or chaotic evil, and yet never have committed a murder in your life.

Many rich Wall Street bankers are probably complete psychopaths. They care not for others, and don't mind stealing from millions of people, as long as it benefits them. And yet they never commit murder in their life. Maybe that's because they are lawful, and respect the law. Maybe its because they simply think murder is wrong. Maybe a bit of both.

Celebrim

Legend
What I'm saying, is that a lawful evil character could be a freedom fighter. Do you disagree?

I'm not sure. I would say that it would be a very unusual circumstance and that to a certain extent, it would involve someone going against his own nature. In essence, the LE person would be acting out his honor, but believe that the group he held allegiance to was in the wrong, but that the code he adhered to prevented him from acting on this belief.

Before a LE character could be a freedom fighter, there'd have to be a long standing legal framework that had a Chaotic purpose, which had become by tradition and the establishment of a social order something that people could adhere to in a lawful manner even as they found certain aspects of the code problematic and provisioning for too much freedom and individuality. I'm thinking of course of something like the Constitution of the United States of America (though arguably, this document represents various compromises that make it a neutral document, but at least it gives an example of the type). Once you have an external moral authority like that instituted and ordained to establish freedom, then you have the possibility of a lawful adherent of a freedom loving entity. As such, that person could then fight to protect freedom under a lawful agency.

He'd be terribly conflicted about it. Indeed, he'd likely blame the conflict on the flaws in the document/society itself - on its excesses of freedom, excessive decadence or softness, and so forth. I think there would be a strong temptation to side with whatever group wanted to resolve the conflict in favor of reduced freedom and more centralized authority, and to reinterpret the moral code as not being primarily about freedom but rather about social order. There would also tend to be attempts to preserve freedom by greater and greater authoritarian measures, so that while in theory he was fighting to protect freedom for the duration of the emergency there would be a tendency to find reason to forgo the very institutions he'd claim to be fighting for. To the extent none of this happened, I'd think it would speak to the idea that the person was Neutral on the law/chaos axis and (and possibly on the good/evil axis as well) saw both law and chaos as being valuable tools toward the end he desired.

In short, a LE freedom fighter would be a like a tuna in the desert. Totally out of his element. Eventually, you'd expect the conflict to come to a head and force him to choose to change his alignment or his allegiance. Historically, LE 'freedom fighters' if successful tend to create societies that don't prioritize freedom, regardless of the rhetoric that they may employ.

What I mean is that most values aren't inherently good.

Ok. Sure. There is nothing inherently good about 'valor', for example. It very much depends on to what ends you employ that valor. But your question seemed to imply not that most values weren't inherently good, but all values weren't inherently good.

In other words, just because you hold a "good value" in high regard, does not automatically make you a good person.

Agreed.

And neither does holding a "bad value" in high regard, automatically make you a villain.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Do you mean that villains can end up serving good ends by fighting against evil, as anti-villains as it were?

Good values can be upheld for the wrong reasons, and bad values can be upheld for the right reasons.

But a bad value upheld for good reasons doesn't make it good.

The players delivered a bunch of Kturgian pirates to a slave master, and then debated the morality of slavery with him. The slave master argued that the country is at war, and that the Kturgian pirates are there for considered enemy combatants. By putting them to work, they are helping the war efforts. Where as, if they had been set free, they would soon return to their killing and plundering. Had they been put in jail, they would surely been subjected to cruel torture, and then probably hanged. So the slave master argued, that slavery was the merciful thing to do. And sure, some masters may treat their slaves badly, but most of them were alright. The players couldn't really disagree with the man.

Ah. Well I see why this blew your mind and leaves you confused. You'd previously treated slavery as a thing that was inherently evil, and so when you encountered a valid argument that this was not so - given the social status slavery has - you naturally questioned whether anything had inherent moral value.

I think you should step back and contrast the slavery in the above story with the sort of slavery that led this society to rightfully think of slavery as repugnant. In the above story, the fundamental question is, "Is slavery for these persons unjust?" If you accept that the pirates deserved death, then surely they deserve slavery as well. And since slavery is maybe more merciful than death, then it follows that slavery in this case is both merciful and just. But in this example, you aren't actually debating the morality of slavery. You've been tricked. You are debating the morality of slavery as a punishment when the only alternative is execution. This is a much narrower topic. The justice of punishing pirates with slavery, particularly in a society which cannot afford mass unproductive incarceration, doesn't tell us much about the morality of slavery itself.

And it certainly doesn't vindicate imposing slavery on people who do not deserve it. You see, the real principle on trial here isn't slavery, and it isn't even freedom. The real virtues on trial are justice and mercy, and your example doesn't show that those principles are corrupt, but reaffirms them even in the difficult hard case you describe.

So an evil character is not capable of giving a person better than he deserves?

No more than a good character is incapable of treating a person worse than they deserve. But we are talking not about individual actions, but what a person believes is right. An evil character that is merciful, if he reflects, feels vaguely guilty and disquieted by his actions. He'll want to rationalize and excuse them in the same way a good character would if he realized he'd been cruel. He may even be tempted to make restitution and make things right by withdrawing the mercy.

Because he's evil, and that's what he believes is right and proper. To act mercifully is to violate his own basic view of reality and to give credence to the idea that there is such a thing as goodness and its valueable and a valid and maybe necessary approach to the world. It would involve overturning in his mind all his basic convictions and reevaluating his own actions and worth. Faced with the need to be merciful to someone he liked or even loved, he's like Darth Vader watching Luke thrashing around on the ground begging for mercy. This isn't just some weak person he's dismissed in his mind as a failure that is leading the world into chaos; this is his son. But if he can have mercy on his son despite his sons failure, and if his son can have mercy on him despite his father's failing, maybe everything he's believed for so long has been completely wrong.

Does one good deed automatically turn a villain into a good guy? Are villains incapable of doing good things, or showing kindness?

Of course not; no more than one bad deed automatically turns a good guy into a villain. But it can if that deed ends up changing what they actually believe either consciously on unconsciously.

Lawful does not mean that a character follows the law. He could also follow a code, or a set of personal tenets.

No, that's probably the most common misunderstanding and misuse of words when it comes to describing alignment. If you follow a personal private code or set of personal tenets, you are chaotic. You are still putting the primary burden of determining what you should do on yourself, and still claiming that ultimately it is the individual that creates meaning and judges value. A personal code is not a law, and indeed is rather the opposite of law. A personal code sets each individual person up as executive, legislator, and judge. No one but yourself is responsible for judging whether you've adhered to the code. No one but yourself is responsible for amending the code and creating its stipulations. In short, a personal code lets you believe is right what you want to believe is right. The fact that you've perhaps documented your personal preferences doesn't make you lawful.

All lawful codes are inherently external and reviewable. A code that is private is simply an internalized filter, where the individual has determined privately and for himself what all of this means.

Again, don't mistake personality for alignment.

As such you could have a lawful evil character who rules over no one, and yet serves no one either.

You fail to grasp the implication of this statement. Lawful things are always defined by their relationship to other things. There is no order without relationships. Chaotic things are always defined internally by their own nature and beliefs rather than by their relationship to other things. This is explicit in the concepts of Law and Chaos. There is no such thing a being lawful and not having a role in some order or system. It's the relationship that makes it lawful. Chaotics are individuals, beholden only to themselves and their own judgment. Lawfuls are members of societies, and inherently always underneath something. Even a lawful monarch is always under the law, duty, tradition, and obligation to the rest of society. A 'lawful' person with no role or 'place' in the world, belonging to nothing, and believing that they are under no law but what he's made for himself is indistinguishable from a chaotic person because they are a chaotic person.

Celebrim

Legend
But, to this point, yup, LN is largely an oxymoron*. Lawful sees the organised society as a goal. But, any society which gets organized beyond a small group of family units will inevitably begin creating laws based on precepts of good or evil, at least as D&D defines them. Concepts of mercy will push the group towards Good while concepts of oppression will push towards evil. Thinking about it, it's not so much an oxymoron, just simply unstable. You cannot really have a society governed by law that doesn't go one direction or the other.

Well, I think that is the Good perspective. Good would argue that the problem with 'neutrality' is that anything that isn't good is actually evil, and that inevitably the problem with 'balance' is that it is going to tip one way or the other - probably to evil since 'balance' is just another word for short sighted giving into temptation.

A LN would of course not agree. And I think we have to be very careful to not mean by 'good' merely the particular artifacts of order that we are familiar with.

And for my own part, I think there are real world social orders that a I feel promote a LN view of who society ought to be organized that have had very long enduring influence over how those societies actually functioned. While of course, no system of any alignment ever guarantees that every member of the society will actually embody the virtues that system promotes, there are 'LN' philosophies that have tended over time to create strong tendencies toward collective LN behavior. Every time the society becomes unstable, it tends to gravitate back towards its fundamental underlying trust in order and authority - no matter how many times that trust is abused - and there is a pervasive tendency to fear freedom and to blame all the bad times on an excess of innovation, novelty, and lack of civic responsibility and likewise to excuse past mistakes and even brutality as being done with the best interests of society as a whole. So while I think that the law/chaos axis is too simplistic to really describe the real world in detail without throwing up our hands far too often with copouts like 'Neutral', I don't find the idea to be inherently an oxymoron. I certainly reject that you can't find middle ways between mercy and oppression. Most societies manage to do so most of the time.

Neither do you claim it is inherently an oxymoron, when you admit that it could work if people themselves weren't so chaotic and irascible. Of course, that's precisely one of the justifications LE would make for its cruelty...

sdt

First Post
Many rich Wall Street bankers are probably complete psychopaths. They care not for others, and don't mind stealing from millions of people, as long as it benefits them. And yet they never commit murder in their life. Maybe that's because they are lawful, and respect the law. Maybe its because they simply think murder is wrong. Maybe a bit of both.

Imaculata, I don't mean to be to critical but this statement is contradictory: If you are a psychopath you do not generally have respect for the law or think murder is wrong. Also, I have no facts for this, but I find it unlikely that there are many Wall Street Bankers are psychopaths. Of course, if you watch a lot of television you may be inclined to believe in psycho bankers, massive government conspiracies, hookers with hearts of gold, and fake moon-landings. Then again, I may be a banker.

seebs

Adventurer
There's a whole lot of people in various fields who would be clinically psychopaths except that they've become adaptive enough that it's not really accurate to diagnose them with a personality disorder, as something's only really a disorder if it makes problems for you or others. There are certainly people in finance who behave with consistent and total contempt for other people... and also lots who are really pretty cool people. It's a mixed bag, as always.

Psychopaths may not respect the law, but they may decide to treat it as a boundary of "what I can reasonably get away with". One of the observed behaviors of a lot of people in finance is that they're totally willing to screw other people over in possibly-fatal ways as long as doing so won't get them in trouble. Which isn't so much respect for the law as an ideal as respect for the law as a thing backed by guys with guns.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
[MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=88539]LowKey[/MENTION] basically have my point of view right on this. I'm not about to assert any sort of scholarly expertise here at all, nor any real technical knowledge of the history of law. Don't care to be honest. My D&D is about as grounded in history as, well, something like Westeros or Donaldson's The Land or Erikson's Malazan books. Ie. not at all.

But, to this point, yup, LN is largely an oxymoron*. Lawful sees the organised society as a goal. But, any society which gets organized beyond a small group of family units will inevitably begin creating laws based on precepts of good or evil, at least as D&D defines them. Concepts of mercy will push the group towards Good while concepts of oppression will push towards evil. Thinking about it, it's not so much an oxymoron, just simply unstable. You cannot really have a society governed by law that doesn't go one direction or the other.

* Note, this does not apply to groups of hive mind or other organisations. I can certainly look at, say, Modrons, and see LN. But, I think that our discussion is mostly entered around the idea of fairly standard humanoids, so, while I can see LN organisations, I don't really see them in the context of humanoids.

The US legal system is very LN. It has done horrible things in the name of following the rules -- released horrible and guilty people due to technicalities of evidence, applied the law in ways that punish the downtrodden to enrich the upper classes, and often ignores actual justice to follow the law. The US legal system is fantastic at putting people in jail, very good at moving money from one entity to another, bad at justice, and horrible at finding truth. It, however, functions pretty well overall. So even though the laws are perhaps written to achieve a good end, the actual functioning of the system is very neutral -- it rarely, if ever, considers the good of its actions over following the law.

So, yeah, LN societies are those that uphold the law no matter the outcome. They can have members that push for better or worse laws, and even pass them, but if the ultimate decision is based solely on the law and not the good or evil of the outcome, that's a LN society. You live in one.

Ah. Well, I'd quibble with the 'educated' part. I'm not certain I qualify as educated. I'd need two have command of a few languages and a couple 100,000 more pages of study behind me to even think about claiming the title. I'm an amateur dabbler at best. I'm literate; I'm reasonably numerate. I know enough to navigate Wikipedia with a certain purposefulness. But educated? Thomas Aquinas was educated. Leonardo DiVinci was educated. Francis Bacon was educated. Gene Wolfe is an educated man. I'm a half-educated nerd with a fondness for trivia and a natural inclination to be contrary.

I suppose in that context I should be less surprised to be wildly misunderstood.

Educated isn't relative to the upper end of Western society, it's relative to the world. You've finished 6th grade, you are educated.

Celebrim

Legend
A slight note- what you speak of as "mercy," in Hammurabi is what others describe as lex talionis, or the law of retaliation.

The law of retaliation limits retaliation. Pretty much any system that tries to make the punishment fit the crime is being influenced by it.

You might want to look at the specific applications of the law- for example, a famous example is that if a woman entrusted with breastfeeding a baby (a nursemaid) allows another to suckle the bay (even without ill intent), then her breast would be cut off; the result of which would usually be death at that time. I would not describe lex talionis as merciful.

I wouldn't describe that necessarily as Lex Talionis. Does the punishment fit the crime? In what sense is there equal retribution? I mean, I understand that there is a broken contract here, and that a child - particularly in a world without sanitation or antibiotics - has been endangered by the breaking of the contract. But, even then it would seem to me this is a case were Lex Talionis is not being strictly applied, rather than one where it is.

Rather, the example you cite strikes me as being something not intrinsically wrong, but prohibited where the act was considered so distasteful that a deterrence theory of justice was applied. That is to say, the crime was to be punished in such a horrific manner, that the hope was that no one entrusted with that (sacred?) duty would so lightly or neglectfully abandon it. The actual crimes here - the wrongness incurred - appear to do with theft, or breach of contract, or child endangerment. As is usual with very old legal codes, its sometimes hard to understand the exact portion of the crime that so offended the society so as to know what they were trying to prohibit, particularly when there aren't a lot of comparable modern practices. But whatever was going on, under a strict reading of "eye for an eye" under this crime no one had been literally deprived of a breast (though perhaps, the society felt that the child literally had, in which case the society seems to not grasp the difference between ownership and usury). If I was trying to imagine a primitive subsistence society literally trying to match the punishment to what I presume the crime to be (admitting I don't actually know what the writer's of the law saw the crime to be) it might be something like being made to swallow populated water, or allowing the injured party to designate a single person to throw a single stone at the person. More likely, if the actual crime here is breach of a commercial contract, a fine seems to be the actual sort of thing "eye for an eye" specifies.

I would also take issue with describing the legal systems of the middle ages as having pre-Hammurabic ideas of Justice.

If you drew the conclusion that that was what I was saying, then I apologize for being unclear. Obviously, Western medieval law is heavily influenced by both Judaic law and Roman law, and Salic law likewise contained the core concept of limiting the punishment to the crime. However, even in this case, there are plenty of examples - such as petty theft - where the crime was often specified as branding or death, where evidently the people at the time thought the punishment fit the crime but by a strict reading of either a law of retaliation or a law of restitution it doesn't seem to be applied. And of course, just as there are now, there where many examples of societies with legal norms of punishment that were even more harsh.

Then again, our norms might strike them as excessively harsh. Which would you rather suffer, incarceration or a flogging? I'm inclined to think that it's a bit of a tossup, and arguably a criminal record serves the same purpose as a brand does. Are we getting more merciful, or are we just getting better at documenting a person's identity? Are we getting more merciful, or are we just getting more squeamish? Are we getting more merciful, or does it just cost us less to be ignore people?

Finally, while I agree that, as a whole, we have a more just and tolerant legal system, we also have a great many more acts deemed illegal (the difference between malum in se (those things that are intrinsically wrong, such as murder), and malum prohibitum (those things that are not necessarily intrinsically wrong, but prohibited/regulated, like tearing the label off of mattresses, speeding, insider trading*, and so on).

I only note this because you expect a technical discussion. :)

It's appreciated. I like being made to think. And the presence of a bit of Latin is never unwelcome.

Last edited:

sdt

First Post
Well, I've never met a banker I liked, nevertheless, I think it's more like a bomber pilot hitting a target where they know there are going to be innocents killed - they still drop the bomb; it's a lot easier since they are not staring them in the face. Someone in finance may sell, buy, (do whatever,) to a company knowing that families are going to be hurt - it's a lot easier since they are just numbers on a page. That doesn't mean that bankers are psychopaths: It's just human nature to care more about one person you know than hundreds of people that are names on a piece of paper.

Celebrim

Legend
So, yeah, LN societies are those that uphold the law no matter the outcome. They can have members that push for better or worse laws, and even pass them, but if the ultimate decision is based solely on the law and not the good or evil of the outcome, that's a LN society. You live in one.

I wish I could be sure of even the lawful part, but with the increased role of prosecutorial discretion and other problems I can't go into here, I'm not even convinced that's true. Nevertheless, relative to much of the world (but increasingly less so, as our ratings in corruption, economic freedom, and so forth are collapsing), it's the rule of law for ostensibly benevolent purposes.

Educated isn't relative to the upper end of Western society, it's relative to the world. You've finished 6th grade, you are educated.

Well, that's where you set your yard stick. Whether a person that only finishes 6th grade feels educated enough, I don't know, but I would say that I don't feel educated enough.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I wish I could be sure of even the lawful part, but with the increased role of prosecutorial discretion and other problems I can't go into here, I'm not even convinced that's true. Nevertheless, relative to much of the world (but increasingly less so, as our ratings in corruption, economic freedom, and so forth are collapsing), it's the rule of law for ostensibly benevolent purposes.

Well, that's where you set your yard stick. Whether a person that only finishes 6th grade feels educated enough, I don't know, but I would say that I don't feel educated enough.
Prosecutorial discretion is lawful, though. It's the clear delegation of authority to named officials within a narrow bailiwick.

As for Educated, you can feel uneducated all you want, I'm telling you that the Educated in WEIRD is satisfied by the sixth grade.

Remove ads