The Lazy Dungeon Master Returns! A Book Of Solid DM Advice

I've been a fan of Mike "Sly Flourish" Shea for years, and particularly enjoyed The Lazy Dungeon Master, his book of GM advice and tips from a few years ago. He's now Kickstarting a sequel, The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master, and has sent me along a quick preview of the first few pages.

I've been a fan of Mike "Sly Flourish" Shea for years, and particularly enjoyed The Lazy Dungeon Master, his book of GM advice and tips from a few years ago. He's now Kickstarting a sequel, The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master, and has sent me along a quick preview of the first few pages.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 13.02.30.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-13 at 13.02.45.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-13 at 13.02.53.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-13 at 13.03.03.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-13 at 13.03.14.png

What Sly Flourish does well, in my opening, is codify and organise the collected wisdom of experiences GMs over the years in an easily digestible format. For the beginner it can be an eye-opener (I remember when I first ran D&D and how terrible I was; I could have used this book then!) For the veteran GM it, though, I think this book is more useful, as the tips in here can help enhance an already running game. It's no so much "this is how to DM" as "here's some tips which might make your DMing even better".

The book comes from a D&D 5th Edition viewpoint, but the advice is pretty generic: you can use it with most any tabletop RPG, and it will be fully relevant.

What Sly Flourish advocates is focusing on what's important to make your game better, and less on the stuff which doesn't (thus the "lazy" part of the title). It means effectively managing your prep time; indeed, he advocates a prep time of understanding half an hour for a 4-hour game session. Of course, if you play online, you may have to do more prep, as you need to worry about graphics and sounds and other stuff.

The man does his research. He does surveys and polls on social media; he interviews game designers; he asks questions and listens to the answers. This isn't just his thoughts, it's based on extensive information gathering.

Anyhow, enough of my talk. The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master is on Kickstarter now, and has already funded with over 2,000 backers. Based on the previous book, I really thing this is worth checking out. You don't need the previous book to use this - it's not that type of sequel.
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Traveller

Explorer
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] - Thanks for the heads up

2 small typos (I think...)
First line "in my opening," ? "in my opinion,"
Line before last ", I really thing" ? "I really think"

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Hi folks! Thanks for the comments! This book does indeed stand on its own. It doesn't directly repeat the first book, though there's certainly some overlap. Nor does it kill any of the ideas in the first one. Both books are intended to work well on their own or work well together. Thanks again!

MasterYogurt

First Post
the Engine Publishing books are, as far as I could tell travelling the netverse, probably <strong>the </strong>books to read on the subject. <br><br>

Never Unprepared gave me a framework for thinking about prep, and Unframed is a great source of creativity. Love those books.

Where did people hear about this Kickstarter?

I backed a couple of Mike's previous Kickstarters, but hadn't heard about this one until now. So I was surprised to see this one already had over 2,000 backers!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, the first one is $6 for multiple digital formats? I might have to pick it up. While I can't fund the Kickstarter for the new one right now, I'll probably pick it up when it's released if it's similarly priced.

Barantor

Explorer
I found out about this KS from the author himself via twitter.

I've found Mike's advice from the first Lazy DM great and was happy to see another book like that one. The stretch goals are just icing on the cake and I really suggest folks pick this up!

Helena Real

Dame of Solamnia (she/her)
Backed it! The first one was a blast—and definitely contained some of the best advice I've read about GMing in general—and I think this one at only 8 bucks for the .pdf is dirt cheap. Definitely recommended for all DMs/GMs out there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for highlighting this in an article. I don't really spend much energy keeping up with what is on Kickstarter and, having enjoyed his first book, I'm really glad to know about this one. I went out and backed it immediately. Thanks again for covering for my laziness!

Remove ads

Remove ads