• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Le Games: Apology to the Gaming Community

Charke

Explorer
SpiralBound, I think that is a great idea. I just want to take a look at the logistics - can we come up with an idea that would prevent faking a review? The weakness is in the software and if we could come up with a great solution for RPGnow, maybe they would alter the way reviews are done. It doesn't need to be on `Le's shoulders. If we can fix the system - why not do it.

Lets take an example. Someone goes to an internet cafe and sets up a second acount. How would we stop that? Thinking about it, I think the answer lies in RPGnow insisting reviewers have a credit card or verified paypal account to get a "verfied" reviewer status. We take advantage of the credit card's background checks. If someone is so serrious they fake a credit card - they've got bigger problems to worry about anyway.

Does RPGnow require a paypal/credit card and is there any system in play to detect duplication? The latter part, probably not but I don't know.

Mark Charke

Ranger REG

Explorer
Meh. I rarely read the product reviews section.

I come here on this messageboard to get average joe gamer's reviews, despite the flood of negativities and "this product sucks!" threads.

SpiralBound

Explorer
SpiralBound, I think that is a great idea. I just want to take a look at the logistics - can we come up with an idea that would prevent faking a review? The weakness is in the software and if we could come up with a great solution for RPGnow, maybe they would alter the way reviews are done.

I don't think that a technical solution is the answer - that way will only result in the proponents of the 'chosen system' engaging in an arms race to build a better mouse trap, with those who want to defraud the system anteing up to meet any improvements in the technical safeguards. We can see this happening already in the 'war on spam'. Instead, I think a more elegant and defensible method would be a more social approach. I'm thinking of a registry of 'known reviewers'... Each would have a public profile of what they're reviewed that would include specifics like the location (URL) and date of each review, as well as a profile of the reviewer. This could even be a wiki-driven system so that the community could be self-policing... Say, doesn't EnWorld have a community wiki? :D

It doesn't need to be on `Le's shoulders. If we can fix the system - why not do it.

I'm not against creating such a resource, however my original intent was to put forth a way for Le to regain some of the community trust he's lost by being the one who spearheads such an initiative. I was giving him a sugestion on something that would "show rather than tell" everyone the he really did mean what he said in his original post. Taking this away from him by doing it myself before he even has a chance to decide if he'd like to take up the gauntlet doesn't really seem fair. :) Let's give The Le Games a day or two to decide if this idea appeals to him before jumping in ourselves. If he does, then we can both contribute with ideas.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Anyone who bases a purchase on the number of stars a product has after 1 or 2 reviews deserves to wind up with much worse products than The Le Games has to offer.

I might condemn this sort of action if it were anything worth worrying about. But it's not, so I can't work up any kind of righteous indignation. Try me again when you're lying about your credentials on a job interview I'm performing or your record of public service when running for office. If I can buy a sandwich for more than I'd pay for a The Le PDF, I can't imagine feeling wronged by some review padding.

PenAndSword

First Post
Many people here have stated that The's actions are no good, but now that he's sorry it's ok. It's not. I provided artwork for the man. He wrote me a letter of recomendation. I put it in my resume. There are a bunch of potential employers out there who are going to look The up, and a big red flag is to appear on it. My name is on that flag. There are many employers who won't look any further then that flag. I may not have done anything wrong, but I'm attached to it. I don't have to put that letter on my resume anymore, but it's already out there. And even if it has no effect on my career whatsoever, it hurts ME. I'm a professional, I don't do this. An apology because he got caught is nice, but please remember that his lies affect everyone attached to his bad name.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He wrote me a letter of recomendation. I put it in my resume. There are a bunch of potential employers out there who are going to look The up, and a big red flag is to appear on it.

So take it off your resume.

I think you're overstating the case massively. Nobody's gonna look it up. If some do, they'll look at his website. If they stumble across this issue, they won't connect it to you. You're worrying about nothing.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Many people here have stated that The's actions are no good, but now that he's sorry it's ok. It's not. I provided artwork for the man. He wrote me a letter of recomendation. I put it in my resume. There are a bunch of potential employers out there who are going to look The up, and a big red flag is to appear on it. My name is on that flag. There are many employers who won't look any further then that flag. I may not have done anything wrong, but I'm attached to it. I don't have to put that letter on my resume anymore, but it's already out there. And even if it has no effect on my career whatsoever, it hurts ME. I'm a professional, I don't do this. An apology because he got caught is nice, but please remember that his lies affect everyone attached to his bad name.
Did this happened to you already? Did his name already cost you a possible job?

joela

First Post
resume

So take it off your resume.

I think you're overstating the case massively. Nobody's gonna look it up. If some do, they'll look at his website. If they stumble across this issue, they won't connect it to you. You're worrying about nothing.

What Morrus said. You drew some art for the guy. Unless you did something in addition, i.e., so-called "joined" him in his reviews, I don't see employers connecting you and TLe. (In fact, I'd be suspicious if some employer did try to "hold" you somehow responsible. Especially if trying to use said incident to reduce your rates....)

Remove ads