The Legacy of Heroes (4th Edition)

grymn

First Post
Welcome, fellow gamers. You've stumbled on my humble 4th Edition story hour. This campaign is set within the Sands of Destiny setting currently in development by Grymn Studios. I do want to note, however, that this storyhour is more for reading enjoyment and sharing my own personal 4th Edition game than promoting our setting.

I've decide to create and run my campaign much like a TV series. I've divinded the campaign, as a whole, to run for three seasons- depicted by the tiers of gameplay.

The Heroic Season:The characters are introduced to the setting and stumble upon the path towards becoming heroes and then being heroes as well. (Essentially, the Introduction to the campaign story)
The Paragon Season: The characters are already established as heroes within the setting and prove themselves as much more than simple heroes. (Essentially, the meat of the campaign story)
The Epic Season: The characters have proven themselves and stride towards earning their own place amongst legend and myth. (Essentially, the conclusion of the campaign story)

Each Season will run for between 20 and 24 Episodes (sessions).

The Cast

Thurn
Minotaur Warlord

A Captain in the Shorin-Kai Military, Thurn makes up for his lack of chrarisma with an in-depth knowledge of martial tactics. He has quite a brilliant mind when it comes to battle and most of the men that have served under this minotaur's command have done so out of the great respect he has earned throughout his years of service to the empire.

Inesra
Eladrin Wizard

The scholarly eladrin known has Inesra seeks to expand her collections of mystical lore and power. While distant and cold, her magical skills are a welcomed addition both in and off the field of battle.

Relin
Human Paladin

A Paladin in the service of the Shrouded One. He is a solemn warrior who pushes forth against all odds seeking the goal of death- to lay his enemies to rest or die at the hands of a worthy foe.

Shaylee
Halfing Rogue

Steathily strolling about the crown, this halfling is always looking for the next thrill and the next bag of gold. She doesn't consider herself a theif, but more a equalizer...equalizing he rich to be more like the poor.

Up Next....The Prelude

Tony Vargas

Legend
Cool. I'm anxious to see how 4e plays out. Though 'small' by 4e standards, this party seems to cover the roles well, with the Paladin there to make up for the Warlord's slightly weaker healing.

Are Minotaurs a feature of the setting, or did the player just want something different?

rbingham2000

Explorer
I don't think I've seen the three major tiers of play (heroic, paragon and epic) tied up into "seasons" before, but it's awesome. Something I may have to snag for my own use.

grymn

First Post
Cool. I'm anxious to see how 4e plays out. Though 'small' by 4e standards, this party seems to cover the roles well, with the Paladin there to make up for the Warlord's slightly weaker healing.

Are Minotaurs a feature of the setting, or did the player just want something different?

There are two other players, however, they won't be able to join the rest of us until next time. A Human Cleric and a Dwarf Fighter. The group did work fairly well together, however! I should have the first session transcribed this weekend.

Minotaurs aren't a feature of the setting. The player wanted to try something different.

I don't think I've seen the three major tiers of play (heroic, paragon and epic) tied up into "seasons" before, but it's awesome. Something I may have to snag for my own use.

Cool. :) It just seems like a good place to have breaks in a campaign.

grymn

First Post
Prelude - The Day the Empire Died

Prelude: The Day the Empire Died

I do not speak of this lightly. Shorin-Kai was my beloved home for many centuries. It was a pillar of righteousness and honor.

There were rumours that spoke of the primordial evil of the Dark Soul...the Daemondarke. They said that its return was nigh and that the darkness was set to envelope all of the world of Daerth. The immortals, myself included, were too busy seeking redemption for the sins of our kind in past ages, that we commited our own sin in the current one. We let the darkness catch the empire unprepaired.

The invasion was quick, well-organized, and deadly. Many people, both immortal and mortal alike, perished within minutes. The Covenant of Shorin-Kai, a group of nearly 50,000 immortals, stood like an iron wall against the tides of the darkness. It was a futile stand, we all knew it, but it bought the survivors enough time to clamor aboard the airships of the Shorin-Kai Navy. These ships then set out immediatly for the west and to safety across the vast ocean.

We thought that the land of the gods in west would be a safe haven for us all. I had once walked it, myself. It was paradise in the time before the war. Those of us immortals who lived in Shorin-Kai had chose to leave our homeland because we did not wish to join the dragons in their war against the gods. There were few of us who left our homes. We were branded as cowards by our brothers because we would rise against the gods with them. We founded Shorin-Kai in the west, away from the influence of the dragons and our misguided brethern.

After seeing the immortal homeland once again...I was heart-broken. The world was trully dead. The beauty of the western realms was shattered into a fine sand that choked all of the memories I had of that wonderful place. When my companions first set foot on the sands of the western continent, I could see their hearts sink as well. I told them that we would find our destiny in these sands. I like to think that we actually have.

The tales I am about to tell you are of Shorin-Kai's fall. I often think of those brave immortals who sacrificed themselves to save the survivors. We may never know what has befallen them, however, for these tales are not of them. These tales are about a group of reluctant heroes aboard one of the ships that set sail from the shores of Shorin-Kai all those years ago. I had the honor of travelling with these expeptional mortals. This is their story.

Remove ads