The Lego Movie

I thought it was awesome.

I'd been trying to spark an interest in Lego in my 8 year old stepson. I have my huge bin of legos from when I was a kid, and he'd piddled around with them a little, but never seemed to realize what you could do with them. That movie made him really want to spend time with them, and we've spent the last few weeks building huge things out of my old collection, our living room floor now has an airport, space-shuttle launch center, small town, castle, pirate ship and cargo ship in it. He was super-psyched that I had an actual, authentic old blue "Benny" spaceman from about 30 years ago, which was his favorite character anyway.

We'll probably buy the minifigs of Emmet, Wyldstyle, et al.

Anti-capitalist? From a 100-minute LEGO commercial that got my kid to want to buy lots of LEGO? Uh huh. Yeah. Sure. It wasn't anti-capitalist, it just had an evil megacorporation, which is a stock trope. . .which was completely justified in the plot.

It's the gamer in me, but I kept thinking of it as a Mage: The Ascension campaign for kids:
Emmet is an average guy in the process of awakening, his Avatar is becoming able to directly influence reality, but he consciously has no idea what to do with it thanks to a banal life in a Technocracy-influenced society. Wyldstyle is a Cultist of Ecstasy. Vitruvius is a Hermetic Master. Batman is a Euthanatoi. Benny was a Son of Ether. Cloudcuckooland was a Tradition-held Horizon Realm. The Master Builders were the Traditions (Dynamism), Octan was the Technocracy (Stasis), and Duplo was the Nephandi (Destruction). Octan was a Technocracy front, with President Business as a Man In White for the NWO, and Good Cop/Bad Cop was a Man In Black trying to rebel against his brainwashing. The various robot goons were HIT Marks. The big spoiler plot twist at the end was a metaphor for Emmet finally awakening as his avatar transcends reality.

(Okay, that was super geeky of me, but I always liked Mage)

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I thought it was awesome.

I'd been trying to spark an interest in Lego in my 8 year old stepson. I have my huge bin of legos from when I was a kid, and he'd piddled around with them a little, but never seemed to realize what you could do with them.

I was going to say your kid is broken, but it sounds like you fixed him.

Nellisir

Hero
I thought it was decent but kinda dull, and my daughter was visibly bored as well. Nothing overtly bad about it, but Frozen was a lot more engaging.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
wingsandsword said:
He's autistic actually. Calling him "broken" is kinda low.
I took it that he meant: a kid who doesn't like Lego is "broken." And you "fixed" him by getting him to like Lego.

Bullgrit

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I took it that he meant: a kid who doesn't like Lego is "broken." And you "fixed" him by getting him to like Lego.

Is that much better? Kids who don't care for a particular toy are broken? Really? As folks who in living memory were commonly ridiculed for our choice of activities, this is an enlightened position?

I don't think Janx really meant anything by it - it is more one of those cases where the thing said offhand seems a little less funny when you look closely at it.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Umbran said:
Is that much better? Kids who don't care for a particular toy are broken? Really? As folks who in living memory were commonly ridiculed for our choice of activities, this is an enlightened position?

I don't think Janx really meant anything by it - it is more one of those cases where the thing said offhand seems a little less funny when you look closely at it.
I really think this is a case of trying *really* hard to find offense. But I won't say more.

Bullgrit

Remove ads