• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Lies of Locke Lamora

jhallum

Explorer
Did anyone else here dig this book as much as I did? I really like this book. The sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies is out tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to making the run to Borders to pick it up.

If you like a little bit of Oceans Eleven(an elaborate con game) mixed in with your Lankhmar(lots of roguish goodness), and a city setting filled with mystery, and characters that swear like they just came out of a Martin book, check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lamora-Scott-Lynch/dp/0553804677
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Seas-Unde...ef=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt/102-3436495-1992121

Pants

First Post
I've been pimping this book since it came out last year, even got two of my RL friends to read it.

Looking forward to RSURS, though I might have to wait to get it until I have some money. :\

Ycore Rixle

First Post
I just finished LLL and absolutely loved it. Best fantasy book I've read in years. All the comparisons to Martin are merited, in my opinion; Lynch writes beautifully. And even better: his heroes are actually competent. The thing that irked me to no end about Martin was that so many of his heroes were, in the end, just plain ineffective.

So yeah, LLL has it all. Truly evil villains, daring thievery, wondrous magic, and a city so real you can taste its Austershalin brandy.

jhallum

Explorer
Ycore Rixle said:
I just finished LLL and absolutely loved it. Best fantasy book I've read in years. All the comparisons to Martin are merited, in my opinion; Lynch writes beautifully. And even better: his heroes are actually competent. The thing that irked me to no end about Martin was that so many of his heroes were, in the end, just plain ineffective.

So yeah, LLL has it all. Truly evil villains, daring thievery, wondrous magic, and a city so real you can taste its Austershalin brandy.

Now you have to read the sequel "Red Seas under Red Skies". I think its even better. It just came out in July.

Chaldfont

First Post
I'm half way through the sequel now. This would be a wonderful campaign setting. I guess that's not surprising considering the author also writes in the RPG industry.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I'll bump this thread, just having read this book. I freakin' loved it. Red Seas Under Red Skies was also quite good, but LLL was just fantastic. About halfway through, things start getting twisty, and they twist in the way of a really good story: many things happen in the book that are both totally unexpected and totally predictable.

I highly recommend it!

Daniel

Remove ads