D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A 5e Renaissance Story [OOC]

Jago

Explorer
Suggestion! Perhaps the old noble merchant family is responsible in some way for my family's fall from grace! We may have been competitors once...

Go ahead and post your ideas, Jago. I will do the same. We can reconcile them after we do!

--
So maybe something that lets them cast Detect Magic and Identify as a ritual...to reflect being able to sense and interpret magical flows of energy. It's something sorcerors can't normally do without spending a feat on it.

A high level ability might be resistance to spell damage, or advantage on saves versus spells...that's roughly in line with high level goodies other classes get...

Maybe something that boosts damage from cantrips by chamod?

Competition fosters Story. It's almost like I'm plotting over here >.>

So, my ideas for the Arcane Sorcerer:

1. More Sorcery Points, because Sorcery Points are Gravy. +2 to start with, +1 extra each level

2. Allowing you to spend these Sorcery Points on casting any spell, by using a current slot and paying the "convert SP to Spell Slot" cost. So still nothing above 5th and you lose the slot as normal, but it essentially means you're far more connected to magic since you can, feasibly, replicate any spell.

3. I would rather go with Advantage on Saves rather than Resistance, but I like this, that's a pretty good defensive ability and reflects the "I am Magic".

4. The Ritual Thing I would factor into the "Spend SP to cast what you don't know": any spell with a Ritual Tag that you do know, you can spend SP equal to Spell Level (Max 5th) to cast it as a Ritual and save the Spell Slot. Little cheaper than just using the Spell Slot itself. If you don't know it, you can spend the "Convert SP to Slot" cost + 1 to Ritualize it, but it doesn't burn the Spell Slot still (just the SP).

5. And just because I, personally, like it, you ignore all Material Components without a listed cost, meaning you do not need an Arcane Focus unless it specifically calls one out.

Damn you Jago this game sounds really interesting. Already have a bunch of ideas running through my head. I have a good idea for a pirate type character but need to come up with a good class.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Just discovered this, if you still have room. Have a character I created in a medieval (non-D&D) setting that might work.

My pitch: The Magdalena

As magic started to return to the world, the Church grew concerned. After all, it was magic that had burned the world to ash. What little magical divine power remained to the church was carefully gathered together in a secret, ancient ritual. It was then poured into a carefully chosen vessel. For some reason, this needed to be a girl of around ten years of age. Taken from her family -- or, ideally, a child of no family -- she was carefully raised and trained in a cloister by the church, not only in the use of her divine powers but also in combat, for she would be the church's weapon against magic resurgent and other evils of the world, such as vampires, werecreatures, demons and devils, undead, and other unnatural entities resulting from the magical destruction of the world. Thus was the line of the Magdalena born. Given their line of work, they tend to be short-lived, rarely reaching 30 years of age.

Magdalena is currently the seventh of her line. Her parents were poor peasants, her father a carpenter. In exchange for their daughter, her father was given work and a generous wage, a guaranteed family home paid for by the church, and a blessing of fertility to replace their daughter. But they were never to see their daughter again.

Magdalena did exceedingly well in her training. But she was restless and longed to see the world outside the cloister. One night when she was sixteen she escaped out into the city. It was an entirely new world for her. She used her training to keep ahead of the church agents searching for her, with the aid of a helpful (and handsome!) young thief from the streets. She spent a glorious week of freedom and young love.

But her happiness was not to last. She had a calling. She belonged to the Maker. After a cat and mouse chase with church agents, she and her beau ducked into an old building. Unfortunately this building had recently been claimed by a group of were rats. Magdalena felt the surge of the Maker's power inside of her, and she fought magnificently alongside her beau, but there were many, and her beau took a rapier through the chest before she finished the final foe.

Desperately Magdalena tried to heal her beau, as she had been taught, but she found the power of the Maker unresponsive. With tears smearing the blood on her face, she realized the choice that needed to be made. Once she resolved to return to the cloister, the power flowed again, and her beau breathed once more, his fatal wounds healing fully. The agents of the church found her there, holding him in her arms. She went willingly with them, never to see her young love again.

In the two years since, Magdalena completed her training and has now been sent out into the world to serve as the Maker's avenging arm against magic and evil.

----

Basically it's a Vengeance Paladin, and since we don't have a healer in the party, she might be helpful :) Could also conflict with our sorcerer a bit.

Jago

Explorer
My pitch: The Magdalena

Nobody expects the Magdalenan Inquisition.

I can dig this, I like the idea of a darker side of The Church that's going to be far more Crusader-ish in intention. Not really sure how badly this will conflict with our resident other spellcasters, however: I do need the party not trying to murder one another the entire game, neh? So long as we can keep that under control, this is legit, nice backstory!

So my two ideas are a pirate Swashbuckling Rogue or a pirate Tempest Cleric.

Both are more than appropriate, though for a Tempest Cleric I would assume a follower of The Old Gods? I don't really see The Maker as someone supporting Piracy, lol. But either works really well, and a Tempest Pirate is pretty scary. The backstory would be what really sells that.

Both are more than appropriate, though for a Tempest Cleric I would assume a follower of The Old Gods? I don't really see The Maker as someone supporting Piracy, lol. But either works really well, and a Tempest Pirate is pretty scary. The backstory would be what really sells that.

Yeah I've really wanted to play a Tempest Cleric for awhile now. Would definitely be a worshiper of the old gods. If I go Tempest Cleric was thinking of being a Water Genasi. Would that be an issue?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Nobody expects the Magdalenan Inquisition.

I can dig this, I like the idea of a darker side of The Church that's going to be far more Crusader-ish in intention. Not really sure how badly this will conflict with our resident other spellcasters, however: I do need the party not trying to murder one another the entire game, neh? So long as we can keep that under control, this is legit, nice backstory!

No, not so evil as the Inquisition. A bit more like Iron Man in Civil War. A touch of monster hunter thrown in. I am not one for too much interparty conflict. And she's a bit innocent yet.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Jago

Explorer
Yeah I've really wanted to play a Tempest Cleric for awhile now. Would definitely be a worshiper of the old gods. If I go Tempest Cleric was thinking of being a Water Genasi. Would that be an issue?

I would prefer just races from the PHB, if you please. Other than that, I'm 100% cool with the concept, can't wait to see the backstory.

No, not so evil as the Inquisition. A bit more like Iron Man in Civil War. A touch of monster hunter thrown in. I am not one for too much interparty conflict. And she's a bit innocent yet.

Then yeah, we can totally work with this. I do like the entire concept for the Magdalena as well, very fun flavor for the setting!

Remove ads