• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A 5e Renaissance Story [OOC]

Jago

Explorer
No his powers come from Neptune. I was planning to have him say they came from the Maker when in port. To make it more convincing he was going to carry a holy symbol of the Exemplar of the Tempest Domain. His shield will be his true holy symbol and have the symbol of Neptune on the front. Just working out my backstory and want to get some of the details down.

Sheet looks decent, and I like the idea of him portraying himself as following The Maker to outsiders, but he's really ... well, not.

Just a few touches then that I feel should be addressed:

1.) If you're going to be lying about your Patron here, you may strongly want to consider swapping one of your Skills for Deception, unless you're relying upon your Bad Reputation feature for most people to avoid asking too many questions. Which, in that case, that grooves with me.

2.) I'm sorry, but the name: The aesthetic is the Italian Renaissance, and Lucien Sharp is very, very English. Would you be okay adjusting it to something like Luciano ... di Acuto, or what have you? Or are we going with this character is actually a foreigner to this region, and hence the name is, quite appropriately, foreign as well?

Yeah I was debating swapping Insight for deception myself so will probably do that. though he would rely on his bad reputation to keep most from asking to many questions. I was thinking he was a foreigner but if that is a problem I can change that and modify the name appropriately. If being a foreigner is okay then he could be from the worlds equivalent of England. In that case we can change the god he follows to a celtic sea god perhaps Nodens.

Jago

Explorer
Yeah I was debating swapping Insight for deception myself so will probably do that. though he would rely on his bad reputation to keep most from asking to many questions. I was thinking he was a foreigner but if that is a problem I can change that and modify the name appropriately. If being a foreigner is okay then he could be from the worlds equivalent of England. In that case we can change the god he follows to a celtic sea god perhaps Nodens.

No, Foreigner is no problem at all. We can certainly work that he's from Pseudo-Britain and therefore it makes sense that his God is pretty foreign to these people as well. And yeah, foreign pirate is A+, he really can just get by on reputation alone, lol.

Jago

Explorer
No worries mate, we're still happily plodding along here.

For my lovely players, I would ask at least 2 things to help make this a kickass setting and story.

1.) Try and come up with a piece of setting detail. A Guild, a City-State, an important NPC, a landmark, a piece of history, a famous ship or building, something to help add some life and therefore stuff we can use in the adventure. It can be someone connected to your PC or not, just something out there to be discovered in-game.

2.) My favorite thing, and I know several of you are already working on this: Connect yourselves to the other PCs, at least 2 links. I don't really care how ... Okay, I do care if the connection is "This PC is my arch-enemy and I will kill them the second I get the chance", but try and work out ways you know each other, or at least have heard of each other (our Pirate may have a bit of an advantage here). Basically, give me some things to focus on that can draw the group together (as well as establishing that "We are a party" rather than "We're just co-workers").

Some things I have been positing:
1.) Slight Clockwork Technology. This is Fantasy, after all, so on top of things like Wheelock guns, there may be some other elements I want to include (like maybe 1 or 2 of da Vinci's crazy freaking designs, or some of the stuff in Talhoffer's books). This would not be wide spread, but may certainly be discussed in certain Scientific Guilds and circles, or Nobles may be willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money to develop something as wild as a self-powered ship or a flying machine.

2.) Balancing Contrast. The Renaissance is a wild time period in history. You have philosophical and artistic enlightenment right alongside one of the most violent time periods in history, with constant wars, rampant piracy, and near open-conflict between Guilds and Families in the streets. Fun-Fact: that's actually where the Rapier even comes from; people needed a weapon that could be used in the tight-packed battlefields of Renaissance streets, so long thrusting sword suddenly became king. I want to play this up, so you will be involved in philosophical debates with the Church as likely as you are to be embroiled in walk-by stabbings on the docks.

3.) The Mystery of Magic. I want The Harrowing to feel like this big, legendary event because ... well, it kind of was. But I also want the rebirth of intellect and knowledge to be tempered by the idea that the arcane and esoteric really are just ... strange, and unknown. People understand that the Undead exist, but ask 1,000 people and only about 7 will ever actually claim to have seen one, and out of them, only 1 may be telling the truth. The lay person understands what "Wizard" means, but only the Guild Arcane and certain Noble Houses / Prominent Families can really claim to have seen magic with any frequency. You may get a street performer with various cantrips, or people that have witnessed a miraculous healing in a Church, but realistically The Harrowing crippled magic to the point where wild rumors abound of what Sorcerers are capable of, or that Druids are really just moving husks inhabited by spirits of nature. Much like Eberron, I also want to have some instances of where Magic just ... goes wild. Living Flaming Sphere spells, or permanent illusions that people swear are real, out there in the Silver Mountains.

Trogdor1992

First Post
I have I link with with Thateous, and I'll likely come up with an NPC for you, a third betrayer of the guild Thateous and I betrayed.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Would there be a language similar to the Maritime Pidgin used by pirates during the 1700s? I am thinking of taking linguist as my variant feat and trying to think of some languages I'd know. I know it is not an optimal feat choice but it would fit the character concept better.

Jago

Explorer
I'm down with Lucien rocking a Coastal Cockney, sure. Call it what you will and we'll factor it in as like a lingua franca of the corsairs.

I am working on my world details. I'm going to have a Ship and an NPC. Also up for connections with anyone. Most probably have heard of me but maybe something more significant with someone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads