D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A Renaissance Story

tglassy

Adventurer
Nicolo watched the Paladin walk through the crowds, determined. Maybe she saw where Arcata went?

He followed her fairly close behind, making sure he didn't lose her in the crowd.

He saw her stop and talk to a homeless man. Did she call him Arcata?

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata stared up at the young woman...the one from the tavern. Had she really thought escape would be that easy?

To Magdelena's spellsight, there was no concealing Arcata. She was a star wrapped in a wisp of flesh; the alleyway itself seemed to warp and wriggle with the constant pulsing of that light that was at once colorless and all colors, the rhythm of a heartbeat. She was not merely cloaked in magic, she radiated it. Magic spilled out of her, off of her, twirled in eddies and swirled around bits of trash and debris all around her as if seeking something it could not find.

"You don't understand," Arcata pleaded. "If I go with you, they will kill me. The men that sent you...the Guild...I can't go back to them. I don't want to hurt anyone, but if you try to take me back I...I'll...I won't let you. Please don't make me do anything. Just...just tell them you didn't find me."

She hated this...hated begging, like the image she'd slathered over herself. Her father, despite everything, was a man proud of his house, of his heritage. It would kill him to see her like this.

But she couldn't just explode into violence. This woman...she probably had no idea why the Guild wanted her, or what they'd do. She was as much a victim of them as Arcata herself was, if in a different way.

Please. Please don't make me have to kill anyone.

Tears brimmed in her eyes. "I just want to go home," she whispered.

Jago

Explorer
Rossa was not awares that she would be getting help from two people. It took her nary a moment to assess Lucien and decide that yes, this was exactly the kind of assistance they needed.

" Iacopo and his gang had cornered Giovanni this morning before he could reach you, Federigo," the Half-Elf explained, leading the two men through the crowded streets as city guards rushed past. Deciding to avoid that business, Rossa wove through merchants and peddlers to find the alleys that were a bit easier to avoid attention through.

" They're rushing him to the docks now to get him on a gondola and bring back to the Guild's territory. Hopefully we can cut them off before they reach the water ..."

The smaller woman deftly moved between the people, turning over her shoulder to smile sharply at the pair.

" This girl will definitely need a drink after this. Going against the Guild is not my idea of a fun morning."

When she turned back forward again, Rossa stumbled and stopped in her tracks: in front of the three were the two people scuffling in the tavern, talking to so some sort of beggar. But just past them was a rather lean Half-Orc, dressed in fine leathers and a beret, leading four followers carrying a rather long wooden crate upon their shoulders.

" Iacopo!" Rossa hissed at the tusked-man, but the Thief Guildsman was looking past Rossa, Federigo, and Lucien.

" Who are your robed friends?"

~~~~~~~~~~​

The Guards had sprinted right past the sickly beggar, their weapons still sheathed, yelling for others to get out of their way while they hunted after the running girl. In their place, however, came The Magdalena and Nicolo.

And then the two other men from the Tavern, lead by a rather elfin Half-Elf, were at the entry to this corridor of the alleyways as well. And across from them stood a Half-Orc leading what looked like a group of well-armed dockworkers.

" Iacopo!"

" Who are your robed friends?"

The Half-Elf turned around slowly, unwilling to take her eyes off of Iacopo easily, but found that this was no ruse: 4 figures in heavy, earth-tone cloaks were blocking Lucien's, Federigo's, and Rossa's exit from the alley.

" Oh please, don't mind us," one of them said in a silken voice, stepping forward once but keeping the hood up. It was hard to say if it was a masculine voice, but it was clearly clipped. Refined.

" We're just here for the girl. So if everyone would be ever so kind as to stand aside? We don't want to interrupt your little back-alley rendezvous."

GM: The Magdalena's second sight can see easily tell that there is something ... more, about the cloaked figures. Something arcane. If she took a moment, she may be able to discern what sort of magic is at work.

~~~~~~~~~~​

The brightest of the Del Holtzinn family had watched her contact and another woman she did not know sprint out of the Tavern, moving unerringly quickly in the same direction she had watched the magical girl and the guards move after. It was barely a second after that when a spritely Half-Elf, a burly dwarf, and a sailor with a rather large hammer were also out of the tavern and moving ... in the same direction.

Curious. Very curious.

tglassy

Adventurer
Nicolo looked around, seeing the multiple groups that had just shown up. And now, there were clearly guild members that wanted Arcata. What has she gotten herself in to?

Nicolo stepped up towards Arcata, positioning himself between her and the robed figures. He wasn't convinced the Paladin wanted to hurt her, but if Arcata didn't want to go with the guild, and these were guild members, then he was going to help her.

He knelt next to Arcata, looking her in the eye, saying softly, "No one is taking you anywhere you don't want to go."

He didn't know these other people, but he knew her. Not helping her never crossed her mind.

He stood, turning to the robed figures, holding his staff slack in his arm, muscles deceptively relaxed. Perhaps they could be reasoned with?

Thateous

Explorer
Fedrigo moved to better defend Rossa immediately after he recognized the danger. He unclasped his padded cloak and let it fall to the ground revealing the razor sharp spikes on his armor. As much as he'd love to go head-to-head with Iacopo he didn't have that luxury with the 4 men being behind them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

pathfinderq1

First Post
'Well this is going to be interesting,' Jilliana thought as she watched the parade of strange folk headed into the alley. She resisted, if only just, the urge to start taking notes- instead she started a little mental file on each of those that she observed; it was one of the mnemonic trick she was using to improve her memory.

But just as quickly, they were out of sight. With a sigh, she hefted her satchel and started making her way around the square towards the alley entrance- while the 'High Way' made it easier for small folk to traverse the crowded streets, it sometimes lacked the speed of being able to cut directly across the square. She hoped she would be able to catch up to some of them...

OOC: A Holiday miracle- internet at the in-laws!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
289ik8w.jpg

Fossice/Central Market/Tavern
Late morning
Round 0

Magdalena actually had to squint as she looked at the old begger. She had never seen so much magic in one person!

"You don't understand," Arcata pleaded. "If I go with you, they will kill me. The men that sent you...the Guild...I can't go back to them. I don't want to hurt anyone, but if you try to take me back I...I'll...I won't let you. Please don't make me do anything. Just...just tell them you didn't find me."

Tears brimmed in her eyes. "I just want to go home," she whispered.

Magdalena sighed, steeling herself. She was still new to this. They always begged. But she couldn’t have sympathy for these illegal magic users. It just made her job more difficult.

“The Guild didn’t send me, Arcata,” the Magdalena said. “Romeo sent me.” She didn’t know how Arcata knew her former love and street thief. “We can discuss this somewhere more private.”

"Oh please, don't mind us," said a silken voice. It was hard to say if it was a masculine voice, but it was clearly clipped. Refined.

"We're just here for the girl. So if everyone would be ever so kind as to stand aside? We don't want to interrupt your little back-alley rendezvous."

Magdalena looked up, seeing four hooded figures, as well as some street toughs. She frowned as her magic sight lit up on the robed figures.

“Arcata,” Magdalena said quietly, putting her hand down to the begger, “stay close to me.”

Magdalena tossed open her cloak to reveal the symbol of the Maker.

“Which woman?” Magdalena asked. “Me, or the other?” She nodded to the woman [Rossa] with the dwarf from the tavern. “What is your business?”

She studied the men, trying to determine the magic on them.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Concentration: Detect Magic
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 28/28 HD: 3/3d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 15/15
Channel Divinity (1/R)
Abjure Enemy
Vow of Enmity
Prepared Spells:
1st: (Bane, Hunter’s Mark), Command, Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Shield of Faith

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 1/4
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Relief. Confusion. Then, the new voices brought the fear crashing back. Arcata didn't even have time to get up off the ground before all these emotions ran through her and over her. Nikolo was here, and this woman...the one who'd seen through her disguise...wasn't of the Guild? But then why? And who was Romeo?

The only certainty was that the men, the ones with the box, were trouble. The box made sense. They'd need a way to carry her back without visibly toting a body around.

It shocked Arcata how tired she felt. Her arms felt like they weighed twice as much as they should as she hoisted herself to her feet...not having to act in the least to imitate an old man's pained posture or slow pace. It wasn't fatigue in her body as much as in her mind though. Being afraid sapped some kind of vitality, it seemed like. Going from one emotional extreme to another as well. She wasn't sure how much longer she could go on like this, and it hadn't even been a day yet.

Jago

Explorer
" Our business is the protection of Fossice. Indeed, all of D'Argenta," the spokesman of the robed figures stated, holding up smooth, scholarly hands from the thick sleeves to reveal empty palms.

" You and I both know which girl we refer to. She is a danger to everyone around her, and only we have the means to make sure that no ... accidents, occur. Per favore, stand aside: you're in over your head here."

GM: The Magdalena can see the faint, steely aura of abjuration magic weaving around all four figures, taut to their cloaks in a shimmering series of overlapping plates. Upon the speaker, there's also the burning image of a blue eye beneath the hood, about where she judges the forehead of the person would be.

OOC: Not that it matters at this particular moment, but studying a magical aura with Detect Magic is an Action

" We are merely trying to protect the city, as well as enforce The Maker's wishes. Surely you would not be so presumptuous as to disallow us from doing so?" that gliding voice continued, more songlike than a pattern of speech found in the central district of Fossice.

" Sorry to interrupt in your, ah, 'business' here, friends. We'll let you get to it."

Without further ado, Iacopo quickly turned to his men and bade them turn around and get the hell out of there: he had enough to do today, and getting meddled in some other Fosscian plot was not how he wanted this day to start. The goons struggled with the box they carried: it seemed to be ... fighting them, in some way, as each load bearer found himself needing to suddenly adjust for additional weight.

" No you don't, stronzo!" Rossa roared, surging forth and drawing the dagger at her hip.

Close behind, a certain Gnome could very easily overhear the shouting in the crowded alleyway: those large ears could certainly come in handy.

GM: I think this is a decent point to roll Initiative with your next post: you'll get One Move and One Action with your next post. This is not to say we are in combat immediately, but it would be good to start breaking things down into seconds.
Jilliana, you are around the corner from this alley, 30 feet away at the moment.

tglassy

Adventurer
Nicolo stands between the robed men and Arcata, staff in hand. He gently eases one foot back, centering his balance as he fixes his grip on his staff. If any of the robed figures come for Arcata, he's going to be ready to defend her.

OOC: Initiative Roll [roll0] Action: Ready Action: Attack if someone threatens Arcata.

Remove ads