The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew

Brutoni

First Post
Merenwen moves down the stairs, making sure that the wizard is indeed alright before moving towards the centre of the group where Raiyek stands. "One would hope that it is indeed the last of them, that was not a pleseant buisness at all. Still perhaps it is done now?" The elven ranger surveys the scene indeed checking that there is nothing about before turning to the others. "Are we to explore a bit more? Or would it be prudent to inform out employer as soon as possible?"

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Raiyek]The problem, Raiyek quickly realizes as he mulls over Hoofchew's dying words, is there is very little to distinguish Hoofchew's masters from any other form of occult worship. There are any number of documented examples of the worship of demons, devils, liches, spirits, dragons, extraplanar abominations, restless remnants of dead gods, and other, less specific powers. The desire to avoid natural death is a common theme among them, only slightly less common than revenge or access to dark magics. And of course, tattoos on cultists are like beards on dwarves: it would be far more remarkable had Hoofchew's followers lacked any distinguishing tattoos. Hoofchew's unnatural resistance to fire rules out some options, such as snow demons, but in the end Raiyek is forced to conclude that there is simply not enough information.

ooc: I saw it, I just kept forgetting to respond to it. Thanks for the reminder![/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
Dont waste your breath on filth like them, save it for when we need them next.

Vashik grits his teeth and begins ripping the snipers darts out of his skin, seeming more then a little accustomed to dressing wounds in the field.

[sblock=ooc]Not bothering for a heal check I just like the flavor of a passed save corresponding with ripping those damn darts out of me[/sblock]

Let us return to deaths gatemen and get what is owed us.

With that said Vashik pulls his dagger and walks towards Hoofchew obviously intent on following the priests instructions to "bring me his head" very literally.

Dawn Raven

First Post
If there were more of them, they either ran away or are hiding now. Either way, its not our concern. We were hired simply to do away with Hoofchew here. Let's take his head and return to the Church, I think we are finished with this errand."

Les makes a thorough search of the dead bodies before they leave.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
"Should we inform the Redboots they can have their hideout back, or just let them find out on their own. Must we really take the head? I think it would be less messy to take the whole body."

covaithe

Explorer
"There's no need for that, lass," a familiar deep voice rumbles from the front door. Standing there is the red-booted dwarf who led you here -- was it really only a few minutes ago? Behind him are half a dozen sturdy-looking dwarves, all in some form of red-colored footwear. "Me'n the boys got to see the end of it. A fine bit of work! Fine! If ye don't mind, I'd like to gift ye with something as a bit of thanks from the Redboots. Tis a charm me father brought with him from the old country; helps ye shake off poison and such. I wish I could give ye all gifts, but times is hard; I'll let ye work out for yerselves who gets to keep it. If ye do decide to sell it and split the cash instead, I hope ye'll give me first shot at buyin' it back."

He ceremoniously hands a light blue necklace to Les, who happens to be standing nearest. The rest of the dwarves erupt into cheering, and some of them immediately go behind the bar and start lifting kegs onto tables.

"One more thing!" the dwarf shouts, as the celebration starts to get into swing. "If ye ever need a place to lie low for a while, or a quick way outta Daunton without drawing attention, you come here and tell 'em Kargyll Redboot says yer okay. Now drink with us, the Redboots are home!"

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: The necklace is an Amulet of Health +1, PHB p.249.

Searching the bodies reveals two sets of scale armor, two flails, two heavy shields, and two spears, along with a number of crude clubs. Sadly, the sniper fell on his blowgun as he died, snapping it into several pieces and crushing his remaining supply of poisoned darts.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"Why thank you, good dwarves. We appreciate your gift, and your hospitality." Turning to his companions, he asks, "Shall we stay for a moment?" With a sly grin at ... certain members of the party, he adds, "Or are we eager to collect our payment?"

"And as for the amulet, I'm interested in it, but then I would imagine everyone is. Should we decide by lottery, perhaps, or would everyone prefer to sell it with the orcs' gear and split the proceeds?" Raiyek eyes the necklace with an eye of interest. Well, that would have been nice to have before we got stuck with poison darts. Ah well, such is life. "It seems such a waste to sell off such a valuable item," he says wistfully.
[sblock=OOC]I figured it would be hard to get anything with that check, but you never know unless you try, right? ;)

So none of the rest of the orcs had any magic, eh? That's too bad. :(;)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dawn Raven

First Post
Les takes the amulet reverently and nods to the dwarf. “Thank you, sir. Although you must surely know we had our own reasons for doing what we did. However, I am glad to be of service to you and your Redboots. If ever you need a mercenary, ask for Les Ghentel at the Hanged Man. And I'm sure the others would be just as pleased to be of future service to you.”

The commotion and the flood of dwarves to kegs causes Les's eyes to widen. A sly grin spreads over her face, although not nearly as intimidating as the wide-mouthed,fang revealing smile from previously. She turns to the rest and holds up the pretty blue amulet. “Well, this is a grand gift! Although I wonder who should walk away with such magic in hand? Raiyek's suggestion of a lottery appeals to me. Perhaps the toss of a pair of knucklebones and everyone can call a number? Oh and...I plan to have a drink or two before leaving. What sort of adventurer would I be if I passed up a free drink over the bodies of those recently felled?

dimsdale

First Post
"One more thing!" the dwarf shouts, as the celebration starts to get into swing. "If ye ever need a place to lie low for a while, or a quick way outta Daunton without drawing attention, you come here and tell 'em Kargyll Redboot says yer okay. Now drink with us, the Redboots are home!"

"Aye, I may have to take you up on that offer as I don't know where I'm goin from one day to the next. And thank you for your gift. May your beards grow long!"

Kruk grabs a mug of brew as he sifts through the orc gear with not very much interest.

He turns to the group "What do you want to do with all of the armor and weapons. I'd be happy to carry much of it to a place where we can sell it...after we collect our reward of course."

Remove ads