The Mésalliance. Part 2. (Updated 11/28)

Seule

Explorer
So we come full circle, the Paladin and the Succubus. Can she be redeemed? That would be quite the triumph for Eadric, seeing as she's working on him just as hard, unlike Despina was.

--Seule

Lazybones

Adventurer
I'm currently reading the third volume of Vance's Lyonesse and am struck by the similarities (I'm sure I've made this comparison before). As an author, I am constantly striving to bring together what I see as the five pillars of a story: rich description, believeable and "real" characters, complex dialogue, deep narrative/plot, and visceral action sequences. The challenge is accomplishing each of these structures without passing over that invisible line into "too far"; for example, depth of plot needs to be accomplished without drowning the reader in detail and complexity. Vance and Sep both seem to accomplish a perfect blending of these qualities in a way that seems effortless (but I am sure is not, in reality). In particular, I find the use of dialogue in this story to be extremely effective at conveying a mood or advancing the plot in a manner that would be excessive or unconvincing were it conducted through third person narrative. I am left with the impression that Wyre in its various chapters would operate as a work of theatre (where dialogue and character interaction are king) as effectively as, say, a motion picture. Though the action scenes would be cool to see done in VFX.

When I go back and reread my own work, I usually find one or more of those pillars to be lacking in a given segment. Thus in a sense, reading these updates is both inspiring and depressing (but in a good way).

Thanks, and looking forward to more, as always.

LB

Fimmtiu

First Post
Pyske said:
Do we believe in Soneillon's Choice? Slay me or bed me, Eadric: you will need to choose sooner or later, in any case. Is this the meaning of Saizhan? Must a truth be bedded to be fully accepted into one's paradigm? My own paradigm tells me there are other options.

A Middle Way, if you will. ;)

Bah. The old smilies were better. Anyhow, I can only hope that someday I might be enough of a rat bastard to make my players squirm like this. Way to mess with their poor little minds, Sep!

Jackylhunter

First Post
Great Update Sep! I'm curious as well about the Devils motives in this as well. It's interesting that they are only now 'getting involved'. I imagine that Grazzt is making all sorts of intreaties for Aid, but the last place I'd think he would go is to Hell.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next installment.

Felix

Explorer
I liked the pseudo-temptation of Eadric by Sonellion: by choosing to slay her in cold blood he will have jumped, or at least fallen, into Sonellion's waiting arms. But to allow an aeons old Evil to live is the Good thing to do. Much like Titivilus' temptation, that the temptation is to tell the devil to go away.

Then one wonders: is it in the belief and conviction, or the act, that makes someone Evil. For instance, what if Eadric had decided to slay a helpless Sonellion in cold blood. Would that blow have had to have landed for Eadric to fall (for his alignment to change from LG)? Would Sonellion have had to have died for him to fall? Or what if merely the truly convicted intention to kill would have caused Eadric to fall. The Sword of Truth series gives precident for this, for Truth will never strike a creature the seeker believes to be innocent... in this case it is then intention, and not the deed, that is important.

If the intention to do the act is what matters, then as soon as Eadric makes to kill Sonellion, he becomes not-LG. And considering that Eadric, if he does fall, will fall faster and further than any in a long time, his alignment changes to CE. Lukarn, the intelligent keen sunblade, decides Eadric must also die, makes Eadric drop him. And what you have is a fallen paladin standing next to a very pleased demon queen.

So was compassion the only way to save himself? And if he does it to save himself, is it really compassion?

...yeesh...

Moleculo

First Post
I guess the big question is can a being that has been annihilated or unmade or what have you even die in the first place? That would be a fairly dastardly thing for the Sonellion to do, let Eadric kill her so he falls and then just meet him again.

Joker[ZW]

First Post
fantastic update!

Nonetheless, at precisely eight o'clock every evening, Mostin would arrive and renew the ward upon Eadric.
Mayber Mostin should use "one step beyond" instead. As Mind Blank, but 9th level and 1 day/level duration :)
The Spell is in the complete book of eldritch might

[lurkermode=on]

Last edited:

Felix said:
Then one wonders: is it in the belief and conviction, or the act, that makes someone Evil.
Welcome to one of the oldest debates in philsophy and religion. Whence comes moral significance -- from intention or action?

I would be interested to hear Sep's take on this... although I think I already know what it is.

Rackhir

Explorer
The clear and obvious parallels that Sep was drawing between the original confrontation between Eadric and Lady Despina/Nehael? lead me to wonder once again exactly what is the relationship between Sonellion and Nehael.
Especially given the next to last line in this quote.

"Violation of the body is only the beginning, Eadric. There is a limit to the trauma that even Demonic flesh – once fashioned of Empyrean stuff – can sustain before it loses all ability to renew itself. And Nehael is fragile – she has already relinquished much of the strength that was native to her. Little of her as you remember her remains, and her physical form has been stripped away: she consists now largely of essence. As to the integrity of her personality, who can tell? He may have broken her altogether. Prolonged pain of that magnitude often leads to madness and evil – such is the way of things."

"I fail to see what benefit relaying this information conveys to anyone."

"You should be prepared for the worst, Eadric," Soneillon answered. "She may be unrecognizable – not merely her form, but who she is. I would not keep this information from you, and later hear that you were deceived or misled by me."

We know that Seph is never so straightforward as to simply make Sonellion, Nehael after passing through unbeing. Though it does sound suspiciously like that is what has/will happen to her. Still there has to be some kind of a close link. Of course Seph could simply be playing on his rep for being subtle and complex, but contemplating that kind of line of thinking leads only to madness and Maxwell Smart impersonations.

Last edited:

Remove ads