• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mésalliance. Part 2. (Updated 11/28)

I had a question for Sepulchrave, though... I'm guessing you house rulled that Vorpal swords can sever a silver cord like a Githyanki silver sword? It looks like the gith may not be in your cosmoligy, for one thing (we've seen both the astral and limbo and no gith, though both are just a lot of wasted space anyway). Likewise I'm guessing that a simple mind blank won't protect against this, unlike a `yanki sword?

Yep. I've always played vorpal as being able to sever the silver cord of astrally projecting creatures. Keeps 'em on their toes. I haven't ruled out including the gith at some future stage (the advantage of having multiple true cosmologies), although the same could be said for any creature which hasn't made an appearance in the campaign.

On an unrelated but important note, if you haven't read this thread here then you really should.

Destan's story hour is quite superb, and he has recently published his campaign setting, Valus, which I've been lucky enough to sneak preview.

In his story hour, Ryan evokes a feeling which is unique and insightful: his characters are subtle and complex, his descriptions, evocative, and his narrative compelling. In Valus, Ryan's eye for detail in creating a self-consistent world is nothing short of inspirational. Many familiar tropes are given a new and unexpected twist, and appear fresh to the jaded eye: this is the art of fine campaign milieu design.

A bump disguised as discussion... with half of the Abyss and the Hells invading Afqithan, now would be a good time for a celestial strike-force to wreak some havok in the lower planes. Although I guess that wouldn't be very sporting, would it?

gloomymarshes

First Post
Hmm. I do not see why the celestials should get involved. It's not like the war with hell can be "won". Sure, heaven could send a celestial death squad to kill some random demon lord, but there will be _many_ wannabe demon lords who want nothing better than to fill the power vacuum. And since many planes in hell are infinite in size... it's not really possible to kill every devil/demon either. If it was in heaven's (oronthon's) best interests to win the war with hell, Oronthon would just un-make it.

As I see it, there must be balance between heaven and hell, and it's impossible to disrupt said balance (if you're not oronthon).

gloomymarshes

First Post
Yes. I assumed he was the creator of the kosmos, since oronthonianism (sp?) is a monotheistic faith, and monotheistic religions usually have a god that is almighty.

Gez

First Post
It's more complicated than that. Oronthon is probably not the creator of the cosmos, but he seems to have become such.

Lela

First Post
Or, depending on your point of view, Oronthon's faith may be monotheistic, meaning His worshipers believe He's the only one, but there could also be other gods who His faith doesn't believe in.

We've mostly been working from Edric's point of view regarding Oronthon but Nym, Motsin, and, more recently, Shomei have provided some other perspectives. Not to mention Titivilous (sp?) popping in and having a say.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Yeah, it's the thing with relativistic cosmologies. Multiple, contradictory models are all equally true. It was said Oronthon started as a Sun god inside a pantheon, and his clergy and dogma slowly evolved toward the monotheistic religion of now.

That's why Oronthon wasn't the actual creator of the cosmos, and also why he is now the creator of the cosmos. Belief defines (cosmological) reality; and changes in beliefs can retcon the universe.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to turn yourself into a god by funding a religion about yourself...

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Gez said:
It was said Oronthon started as a Sun god inside a pantheon, and his clergy and dogma slowly evolved toward the monotheistic religion of now.

Waitaminute!

Does that mean Oronthon might somehow tie in with the "sleeping gods"? Is the Oronthon godhead a former member of that pantheon?

Pleased to see my idle speculation led to some interesting discussion. So let me rephrase my disguised bump a bit.

Once the battle is joined in Afqithan, it's assumed the various demonic and diabolic forces will commit substantial resources to the fight. Once that is done, it might be the best opportunity Eadric et al. will ever have to assault Azzagrat and slay Graz'zt or free Nehael (if either can even be done by mortal means).

So, pop into Afqithan, let Mostin and Shomei unleashe whatever massive spells they want to, and then -- leave! Go to some demi-plane where 1 second = 24 hours Wyre-time, recoup spells, and then immediately plane shift to The Abyss.

I'm surprised Mostin hasn't already thought of this. Unless he has, and we just don't know it yet. Or, maybe he tested that scenario under the Web of Motes and found it unworkable.

Remove ads