The Mad God's Key (Bront Judging)

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Anyone heard from Gwydap? Have the connection problems reached a level of frustration where he's given up on LEB, or is there still hope?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I dunno--I'm guessing it might have been the "oh man, I've been away for a long time and I let people down so I'm not looking forward to coming back like I used to be" thing

Does our esteemd Judge have enough info to run this one? I believe this was in Dungeon, so a Dungeon subscribed + whatever Gwyd sent the Judges to show how he changed it from the magazine should be able to pick this up easily)

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: I'll have to read up, but I don't have Dungeon, so not exactly sure how easily I could continue on.

Gwyd's been MIA since before he flew back from seeing his brother off in Kansas, both here and in CM. Not sure if it's technicaly related or other issues.

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: GwydapLlew is supposed to e-mail me. I had someone get in touch with him in RL. he started a new job, so he's been in training and his schedule has been shaken up.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Bront said:
OOC: GwydapLlew is supposed to e-mail me. I had someone get in touch with him in RL. he started a new job, so he's been in training and his schedule has been shaken up.
Good deal. Could you remind him to check in w/ the rest of us too? I know my game and Malvoisin's are wondering where he be. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
No word :(

I'm going to poke him one last time, but I'll likely call an end to this in a bit, and try to at least wrap it up cleanly. I wish I had the source material to run it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
No word :(

I'm going to poke him one last time, but I'll likely call an end to this in a bit, and try to at least wrap it up cleanly. I wish I had the source material to run it.
He did send an e-mail, right? Did it not have enough info in it?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Yes he did :p. I promise I didn't just read this--I just copy/pasted it into the SBLOCK for your reference.

[SBLOCK=Gwyd's E-mail]Hello all! This is Gwydapllew, player of Del the Changeling over at LEB. I've been tinkering around with an adventure idea and I thought I'd run it past you.

This adventure will appeal to players who enjoy into questions and snooping around, but really any player sitting in the inn bored who wouldn't mind taking a job from Morgrave University. It's designed for 1st level PCs, but 2nd level PCs are not too powerful to be challenged by the adventure as well.

It's an Eberron remix of _Mad God's Key_, from Dungeon #114. I've rearranged some encounters and modified background information to make the source of the adventure less noticeable and to make it fit the Eberron setting. Essentially, a cult of the Shadow has initiated a complicated sequence of events that allows them to steal a book that will reveal to them the location of an ancient storehouse of dark knowledge dedicated to the Shadow.

There are two forks that the PCs can take - clues will lead them to either a small mining town three days northwest of Sharn OR to a half-orc who works on the waterfront. If they find the half-orc first, a lively chase ensues across the boats moored to the docks before the half-orc is captured. The half-orc in turn leads the PCs to one of the smaller criminal organizations in town, the Green Daggers. After either cutting a deal with the Daggers or defeating them, the PCs will learn of the Shadow cult and find their way northwest to the small mining town.

Once the PCs are abroad, a quick survey of the town will allow them to narrow their target from among the myriad of ruins nearby to a particular cairn hailing from the time of Malleon the Reaver. The PCs will face zombies, some magical traps, and a few of the cultists (and an undead owlbear) before recovering the book and returning triumphantly to Sharn to be rewarded.

A lot of the encounters in the early stages of the adventure can be resolved through diplomacy: the half-orc will give up information once captured, the Green Dagger band has been betrayed by the Shadow cult, so PCs can negotiate with them rather than confront them, and following the clues will require PCs willing to do a bit of information-gathering and clue-solving.

The reward is fairly straightforward: Morgrave University will pay the PCs a bounty for the return of the book, and if the PCs are particularly successful, they could be rewarded with an equal amount of research time at the university (the equivalent of requesting information from a sage). If the PCs ally with the Green Daggers, they will miss out on some treasure but will gain allies that can assist them in later events. (I would consider the Green Daggers open content after the adventure is finished, so other plots could develop around them). The rest of the treasure is standard for a 1st-level adventure; I can provide a comprehensive list if necessary.

If you need more information, feel free to drop me a line!
[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads