D&D 5E The Magical Martial

soooo.....your characters have never encountered a situation where they needed to jump any mildly notable distances or you've ignored the rules for jumping distances?
Rarely have we encountered a situation where we need to jump something more than what we know we can. It is farther than we know we can do and we still want to try. It’s a check.

Sorry, I’m voice dictating in the rain walking downhill. I’ll try to clean this up later.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I stated it a few times. But this thread is long

My position is that multiple sources of media has non-supernatural heroes who face threats from the lowly street thug to the world ending super easy with nothing but non-supernatural weapons training, armor training, and skill training.

D&D barely supports multiple archetypes of this.

And now fans suggest these archetypes be supernatural rather than pushing for support of these non-supernatural archetypes.
Examples from fiction use metacurrency and narrative tropes to even things up, as I've said to you many times.

Micah Sweet

To me, the non-magical martial, by 20th level should be able to do things like:

• Pick up and move a 400 lb. boulder, and break it in half with a single karate chop
  • Snipe a running enemy with a longbow from a mile away
  • Kill an army, bare naked, while surrounded (with Flanking rules active) with the jawbone of a donkey
  • Swim to an island miles away in full plate mail armor, in a thunderstorm while fending off a kraken
  • Lasso a flying dragon, haul it to the ground and subdue it to use it as their mount
  • While bleeding out (at 0 hp) keep on fighting for the next half hour

These don't have to be things that they can do unfailingly, every single time. But at the same time, they should possible at least once between long rests or so.
That character may not use spells, but they are absolutely supernatural.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Okay. I made a "Battle Axe Mastery" feat that gives +1 Damage and +1 Accuracy to all Battleaxes. Is my character now a sufficient master of the Battleaxe? He has a Mastery Feat now after all.

Actually, let's go crazy.

"Master of All Weapons" +1 to damage and Accuracy for all weapons. Is that enough?

If it isn't... then what are you using to define "mastery"?
This is... somehow even less compelling than a plain +x weapon.

Bottom line, I want to be able to do things. As in the same way a wizard can do things by casting fly or spider climb, or charm person. More numbers aren't all that important to me, especially since bounded accuracy means the dice are firmly in charge anyway.

Micah Sweet

Maybe we should start here. What is level? IMO. Level is an arbitrary indicator of character power level.

*Versatility is a form of power.

Thus, similarly powerful characters should be similarly leveled. I don’t think this should be very controversial?
If versatility were a form of power in D&D, casters would be higher level than non-casters.

Remove ads