D&D 5E The Magical Martial

dave2008

Legend
Agreed, this is another thing 4e got right. The notion of the "paragon tier" explicitly noted to the players "hey you all are 10th level now....you aren't just people anymore, your something more now, so choose a paragon option with some zany stuff"
Another option your post made me think of is to do something similar to what PF tried with their mythic rules. You could have a set of options that are strictly buffs, but you don't have to use them. So you can play your Fighter* as is 1-20, or you can add a Paragon Class at level 11 and explicitly give your character a "supernatural" buff.

*This could be any class really

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I am in the "You can have Nonmagical Martials past level 10 but it would look like anime and comic book" school.

The issue is that the base mechanics would have to change to match the nonmagical comic sharpshooter, anime swordsman, manwha mastermind, or TV show brawler.

Making them magical is the easy route

dave2008

Legend
I don't see "keeping up with casters" being a problem. Different classes are good at different things, but I'll take my level 10 monk (we're using the 2024 rules) against any level 10 caster in a duel 9 times out of 10. They probably won't even get a turn.
Maybe I missed it (or I read what I wanted to see instead of what was there), but I didn't think the OP was about keeping up with casters. I was more about the flavor or a martials abilities.

May take on the OP:

Being able to fight and defeat a 22' tall giant (and similar obstacles) with just your bare hands (or a sword) is "supernatural." So why don't we just say so.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think that point is that those characters in comic books and anime are nonmagical in name only (NINO?). They are in fact supernatural, so what do we just be honest?
They aren't supernatural.

My point is D&D doesn't have the mechanics to represent them due to fan base bias.

dave2008

Legend
They aren't supernatural.
They are not called supernatural, but in fact they are. People in comics and anime do things that are beyond the scope of reality. For example, a common idea in anime and mange is that a warrior can move so fast they create an after image. That is not reality, it is fantasy (aka supernatural - or at least how I am using supernatural in this context).

That is a matter of opinion, not a fact. Not everyone wants to play that game or for D&D to be that game. I do wish D&D would accommodate both more explicitly.
Like, maybe they can not level their town guard up if they want to fulfill some kind of impotence fantasy. I don't know, I just know the existing martials are underpowered in terms of heroic fantasy compared to casters. Some people really want that BMX bandit feel, but I don't think letting them hold whole classes hostage is fair.

Last edited:

Remove ads