D&D 5E The Magical Martial

GrimCo

Adventurer
That would be convincing if hp=meat.

Hp is and isnt meat. For low level characters it is. 2-3 hits and they are dead. I wont go into the deep end about those. Imho when we (me and my group) play high lv characters, even basic human champion fighter, we know we are not playing mundane regular people. We are playing walking demigods.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Don't know about aspects,sorry.

High level martials are supernatural just by being super durable ( high hp and saves). While fireball outright kills commoners and low lv pcs, high level martials can eat up couple of those and fight on like it's nothing. Lv 10 fighter with good con can take Adult Dragons fire breath in the face, Second wind it and be at 60% of hp. Same fighter which is lv 7 or lower is killed by the same breath. So yeah, they have at least supernatural durability.
Disagree. Hit points and saves are so abstracted they only vaguely reflect anything on the setting, and IMO shouldn't be taken as evidence of any supernatural ability. Heck, there's no evidence any character is even injured at all until they hit zero hp.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Deadpool is supernatural - regrows limbs.

But to more directly answer your question as I assume you mean it (should mundane heroes grow into more supernatural versions of themselves?) - I think a heroes identity as not supernatural or limited supernatural is directly tied to what makes them be them. If someone wants to play a hero like cap, they may very well desire those supernatural restrictions.
Deadshot.
Not Deadpool.

Not I meant "There are media equals to Tier 3 &4 character who are not supernatural. D&D rarely supports that outside of very very specific cases rarely found outside of media NOT derived from D&D

1714051016221.png

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Deadshot.
Not Deadpool.

Not I meant "There are media equals to Tier 3 &4 character who are not supernatural. D&D rarely supports that outside of very very specific cases rarely found outside of media NOT derived from D&D

View attachment 359870
Then I’d question how you are classifying them as t3 and t4, especially when the suggested scale was non-supernatural martial is t2 or less.

Even assuming 'know how to not stab yourself with a club' is 'mastery' of a weapon, that guy still can't do stunts half as cool as Hawkeye because the rules actively fight cinematic action, and that's the problem.

What I think D&D really needs is a robust but easy to use framework for basic action hero stunts. Jumping over enemies, throwing them at each other, sliding under them etc. It can be ability check based, but once you have the framework, then you can give martials features that interact with this system.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Because those characters use metacurrency and other narrative rules in their fiction to even up with more powerful types. That's a different game.
There's no metacurrency.

D&D just doesn't support that level of mundane customization nor high level non-supernatural feats.
Then I’d question how you are classifying them as t3 and t4, especially when the suggested scale was non-supernatural martial is t2 or less.
Because I disagree with the premise that mundanes stop at T2 and cannot handle T3&,T4 threats

GrimCo

Adventurer
Disagree. Hit points and saves are so abstracted they only vaguely reflect anything on the setting, and IMO shouldn't be taken as evidence of any supernatural ability. Heck, there's no evidence any character is even injured at all until they hit zero hp.
They are abstract. But i'm talking about in game consistency. Take lv 1 and lv 11 fighter. Side by side. They both get hit with average fireball and fail save. Lv 1 fighter is insta dead. Lv 11 fighter is standing there unphased.

On the other note, d&d sucks as a system for mundane non supernatural highly skilled characters.

Remove ads