D&D 5E The Magical Martial

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Level Up fixes just about all of this. A good set of basic maneuvers, weapon qualities, and a cross-class combat maneuver system.
So are some maneuvers restricted by class?

Also, weapon specific qualities. They go completely against the combat abstraction.

FrogReaver

And removing them from actually doing anything, thus handing all that narrative control back to the wizard where apparently the designers and fanbase want it!
Why should parrying do anything mechanically additional when all it might do is already encompassed in the combat abstraction?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but given the premise of this thread... are you suggesting scaring herd animals should be considered supernatural?

I mean if so, I wouldn't be surprised at this point considering how many, many normal Earth humans are beyond the scope of D&D's understanding of human physical prowess, but it also implies that some of my family members attained the power of the gods at 5 years old.
Absolutely, a bunch of first level PCs could absolutely do this, OSR style (never, ever fight fair!)

What I meant is one guy doing it by his lonesome with next to no prep.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Agreed with most of this. I’d just add that if parry maneuver didn’t exist then parrying becomes a part of the ac/hp abstraction again, opening up the fantasy of parrying attacks to any martial.
you could, probably, just allow everyone to use 90% of the manuvres as they exist right now without the battlemaster maneuvre dice boosts on all their standard attacks and it wouldn't even cause a single problem, barring slowing down combat, but it would certainly make weapon combat more strategic and interesting.

FrogReaver

you could, probably, just allow everyone to use 90% of the manuvres as they exist right now without the battlemaster maneuvre dice boosts on all their standard attacks and it wouldn't even cause a single problem, barring slowing down combat, but it would certainly make weapon combat more strategic and interesting.
Probably depends on one’s definition of problem I guess.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So are some maneuvers restricted by class?

Also, weapon specific qualities. They go completely against the combat abstraction.
Not really. Every class can choose maneuvers from a sub-list of the combat traditions available. Fighters, for example, have no restrictions. Newer added traditions tend to have in-universe entry requirements.

Vaalingrade

Legend
What I meant is one guy doing it by his lonesome with next to no prep.
I'm pretty sure of a dog or particularly large branch can do it with no prep, I normal human man can.

This is the other problem with the 'anything powerful must be magical' mindset: D&D tends to ignore how real life actually works when working out a baseline and somehow calls that verisimilitude.

Remove ads