D&D 5E The Magical Martial

I’m speaking about how the game has been played for the 30yrs I’ve been playing.
And did you come to the game expecting to foil terrorists at Nakatomi Plaza?
Or to guide the Starship Enterprise to seek new life and new civilizations?
Maybe you expected to guide a low budget baseball team to the playoffs?

Or maybe you expected something more..fantastic?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The take away from these types of threads (and they happen a lot) is that people treat "magical" as a pejorative when used to describe a character, and the power of perpetual pedantry is why we can't have powerful marshals.
It think it is more about player authority over their character which is very important to many.

1. Players typically want to be able to do the core tropes of their character.
  2. And they want to choose whether the character is a magical spell caster, a supernatural noncaster, or a nosupernatural character.

Some fans are willing to sacrifice 2 to get 1. Some aren't.

Clint_L

Hero
It's strange that I've been running games for almost 45 years now and martial classes have always been popular choices who have more than held their own in games and storylines, yet other folks seem to find them crippled and all but unplayable compared to spellcasting classes.

In my current campaigns, the barbarians, fighter, monk, rogue, and paladin all seem to be doing very well. My own monk has no problem feeling like a hero in stories. My experience is very different from what other folks are describing.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I didn't say the fest was good.

I just said what 5e considers mastery.

I wasn't talking about the specifics but quantity and quality.

How many fighting styles should the greatest knight in the kingdom have mastered?

How many skills should the greatest thief in the empire have mastered?

How mastering the sword and pistol how many skills do you expect the captain of the greatest pirate fleet in the East sea have also mastered?

And do any of they need to be supernatural?

Because in most movies, books, epics, TV shows, cartoons, anime, and myths, the Greats that are Mundane typically master at least 2 fighting styles and two skills at the minimum.

And that's before you get to the point of grandmastery which usually does not exist in D&D at all.

This is because most games in the D&D sphere do not have a real sense of progression that can be felt in their lore nor mechanics due to the desire of the designers and parts of the community who prefer it to be loose, undefined, and simple

This thread is about stealing the progression of monsters to substitute for the lack of progression in Martial prowess.

I'm not saying you are wrong about how media does it. I'm saying you are insisting for something then not describing what it means.

How many skills should the greatest thief master? Well... they start knowing 8 skills, and they end knowing eight skills. So... what do you want to do? Do you want all Rogues to have all 18 skills in the game as proficient by the end of the game? And what do you think "proficiency" in a skill means? Well, you said this:

Because if you study something you wouldn't know more about That topic then even a smarter person who did not study it.

An idiot who plays D&D with no more about D&D than a genius who does not know about D&D.

But that seems... utterly bonkers, doesn't it? A rogue at level 1 with expertise in history only knows as much history as someone with a +5 Int who has never studied history? Sure, mechanically, we can say that is what is happening, but then what is the point of skills?

Because, here is a weird thing... anyone can roll a skill at any time.

The difference between a trained doctor/veterinarian who has studied the biology of all 42 playable species, all of the hundreds of monster species, and hundreds of beasts and an ordinary adventurer... is between a +2 and a+4. Ten to Twenty percent chance of success, not access to the knowledge, chance of success. And by the way, that is just the medicine skill.

Sure, a fighter with the duelist fighting style has only one mechanical style, and he only does 2 points more damage than a normally proficient character... but that +2 damage applies to TWENTY-ONE different weapons. Do you think it makes sense that a single fighting style can apply to daggers, whips, hammers, staves, longswords AND Axes?

Sure, in literature your dwarven hero might master Craghammer style and Bloodaxe style, and be really impressive because he ALSO has mastered the art of the Fading Dagger... but we can also say that that is true of the level 1 fighter who has the Dueling Style that applies to 21 weapons. Mechanically one thing, representing the skill of handling this vast array of weapons.

That is why I keep pushing you to give me what you WANT from these things? Should we redo the entire combat system of DnD into something that requires points and options for multiple ways to use every single weapon in the game that gives bonuses and penalties based on your opponents kit? That would be a nightmare, but that's how real-world combat styles WORK.

Or, do we look at the level 1 fighter and realize... they can wield anything you put in their hands, and have synthesized and combined 21 different fighting styles while also studying world history, the biology of hundreds of creatures, are a professional athlete and darn good scout too. Because, technically, all of that is true of a 1st level character. So if that isn't enough to make them high level.... what do we need to ADD, what do we need to DO. Because "give them more of the things they have" doesn't actually raise the level of where they are at.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Fair enough. In that case, the coding of supernatural or mundane has no value from any frame of reference.

It's either so ubiquitous in the setting and so invisible to the setting participants as to provide no actionable information for the PCs or players.

Orr..

It's going to vary from setting to setting and character perspective to character perspective.

Except the game rules don't change setting to setting. And the PCs can act on that information already.

Again, there has never been any debate about spellcasting being supernatural. Not once. Even though it is completely ubiquitous in the setting, and the players can use knowledge about spellcasting in the game. Why would it be any different if we started adding abilities for martial characters?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That is why I keep pushing you to give me what you WANT from these things? Should we redo the entire combat system of DnD into something that requires points and options for multiple ways to use every single weapon in the game that gives bonuses and penalties based on your opponents kit? That would be a nightmare, but that's how real-world combat styles WORK.
  1. More Feats for Martial characters
  2. Tier 3 Feats
  3. Tier 4 Feats
Heck I'll be okay with Tier 3 & 4 Magical and Supernatural Feats.

I was greatly disappointed by the loss of Epic Boon Feats.

Chaosmancer

Legend
What's keeping feats from doing this?

A few things. Firstly, I would say we are not currently where we want to be, so feats have currently failed us in providing these things.

Secondly, every single feat is obtainable at 4th level, excepting humans who get them at 1st level, and there are no feat chains. Now, I personally feel that the lack of feat chains is a good thing, but it does hold back the concept. Because these two things mean that every single feat must be balanced and appropriate for a 4th level character to utilize.

Thirdly, a PC simply doesn't get enough feats to justify this, while fourthly, everyone has access to feats in their entirety, and many feats exist for giving or improving magic as well.

So, I suppose, if you wanted feats to be this solution, you could give more feats to martials, create high level feats that can only be taken past certain levels, and create feat chains that allow you to build to a greater whole... but I feel like that was the system in 3.X and it also failed, leading to the rise of the Book of the Nine Swords.

Remove ads