D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I understand. It honestly reminds me of a guy I met in college. He was writing "Law and Order, but in space with aliens" and his first paragraph was a detailed breakdown of how everything else was made up and didn't comport with reality. He just... had to make sure we understood that he didn't actually witness an alien courtroom and alien laws.

They just need that hard line between "this is real things real people do" and "this is made up". Which I just don't need.
Ok, but you don't get to insist that other people shouldn't want or need it.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think this is a good question, unironically. What ARE the developers design goals? What style of play, specifically, are they trying to foster? Can it be described without referring to buzzwords or vaguery?

No matter which camp you're in, this would be very useful to everyone.

I, personally, do not think you can successfully split the difference between rules-light games like PbtA and the traditional/paradigmatic crunch of 3e. I think instead of the 'best of both' D&D 5e ended up being just mediocre at either.

I would prefer if D&D picked a lane and just stayed there.
WotC has no interest in picking a lane. That might actually be their design goal, along with "make as much money as we can get away with" (although technically that's Hasbro's goal).

Remove ads