• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR The Making and Breaking of Deities & Demigods

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
And even with this being (like the 1000th time) a definitive answer to the controversy, someone is still going to bring it up again at some point.

Regardless, I quite enjoyed the book and it sent me on a bit of quest to learn more about the Finnish pantheon and the Kalevala.

ccs

41st lv DM
I have two copies for some reason, plus a Legends & Lore.

Likewise.
I started with the 2nd+ print where Cthulu & Elric had been removed in '82 when we moved to AD&D.
I got a copy of L&L as an Xmas gift the year it came out (my brother knew we didn't have that title in our stack. He just didn't realize that it'd been re-named/re-covered. Had he said anything....:))
And then in 90' I found a poor condition copy of the 1st print at a reasonable price.

Wichever printing, this is still one of my favorite D&D books of any edition.

I have the original Gods Demigods and Heroes for D&D and the later Deities and Demigods (and Legends and Lore) for AD&D. I'm a Moorcock fan (then and now) and I loved that part of it. The rest too btw :) Your work, Mr. Ward was appreciated then and is now as well. Too bad parts had to go, but I like the Elric / Stormbringer games from Chaosium as well and their reaction was understandable. No surprise that Moorcock admitted giving permission or that Tolkien's estate was uncommunicative. They still have... issues... Anyway, thanks again.

Oh, and if I haven't mentioned Cthulhu, well it's OK but I'm not a big fan. Nehwon was cool too though. Nothing like a little Leiber in D&DG on the side :)

JDBausch

Villager
Thank you Mr. Ward, this was always my favorite AD&D book, ever since Santa gifted it to 12 year old me back in ‘82.

My wife found the first edition in a used book store a few years back, so this book has now been two of my all time favorite gifts.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I got mine at a time when both versions were available in stores - some had the one with the Cthulhu/Elric content, some didn't. I made sure my D&D addition-peddler (my mother - she had a job and a driver's license - I had neither) knew which one to get. And she got the right one.

I began my D&D adventure in 1980 - and it had only been a couple of years ince I had got into fantasy books - starting with LoTR and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I got this book (still have it and still use it) and loved every moment, plus for me it had the added bonus of leading me to Moorcock, Lovecraft (MR Ward is correct these are scary books) and Leiber and opened up the fantasy genre completely for me - something I will always be grateful for. Nice to know who to blame :)

My name on here probably gives a clue to just how much I like Moorcock's novels.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
I wonder if GRR Martin might have found inspirations from Elric and Melnibone and wrote them into the Targaryens and Valyria?
There are a lot of similarities, aren't there? Right down to the incestuous relationships in the royal house. GRRM would have been 12 when the first Elric story was published, so it's quite likely he encountered them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Thank you so much for your column here, James, for your view and input on the history of our great hobby and hopefully a take on the here and now, as well. :)

Zardnaar

Legend
Basically bought this book 3 times. 1E, Legends and Lore and God's and Monsters for Castles and Crusades. If PDFs count I bought it 5 times.

Remove ads