The Mandalorian season 3 teaser trailer

Ryujin

Legend
It does feel like something went badly wrong during production of The Book of Boba Fett - maybe COVID-related issues left them simply unable to shoot a lot of scenes for the show - leading them to essentially back-port a couple of episodes of The Mandalorian into the show. Certainly, I have trouble believing that was the plan from the start.
I read it more like with the DC TV shows; using an already wildly popular show to try and jump-start an incoming one. It's why I ultimately dropped all of the DC TV shows, so hopefully it doesn't become a similar ongoing thing at Disney.

MarkB

Legend
I read it more like with the DC TV shows; using an already wildly popular show to try and jump-start an incoming one.
I could buy that if it was the first two episodes of the show, but it was the second-to-last two, and entirely unannounced.

Ryujin

Legend
I could buy that if it was the first two episodes of the show, but it was the second-to-last two, and entirely unannounced.
It was known about 10 seconds after being released and once known, it would steer people to the series even if they had not originally planned on watching it. Streaming is a completely different animal to broadcast TV.

MarkB

Legend
It was known about 10 seconds after being released and once known, it would steer people to the series even if they had not originally planned on watching it. Streaming is a completely different animal to broadcast TV.
How many Mandalorian fans who were looking for their next fix were also entirely uninterested in The Book of Boba Fett in the first place, though? Most people in that category would already have at least checked it out. And the rest, having heard that there were two stray Mandalorian episodes in there, would also have heard that they were basically standalone episodes that could readily be watched without any prior knowledge of the show.

Sure, maybe some came for the Mando and stayed for the Boba, but I doubt it boosted the show's ratings more than fractionally.

Ryujin

Legend
How many Mandalorian fans who were looking for their next fix were also entirely uninterested in The Book of Boba Fett in the first place, though? Most people in that category would already have at least checked it out. And the rest, having heard that there were two stray Mandalorian episodes in there, would also have heard that they were basically standalone episodes that could readily be watched without any prior knowledge of the show.

Sure, maybe some came for the Mando and stayed for the Boba, but I doubt it boosted the show's ratings more than fractionally.
Perhaps, but it would seem that at least here there were more than a few who were disappointed with BoBF and might have otherwise dropped off viewing it.

pukunui

Legend
It will just never feel quite earned to me to put this in the show, and it feels like some kind of executive meddling forcing Grogu back, or the inability to come up with a story without Grogu, or the inability to continue Grogu's story at a Jedi Academy, either way, it means a major story arc was basically undone "off-screen" for the purposes of The Mandalorian. It reduces my enthusiasm for the 3rd season a lot.
But the plotline of Grogu being unable to let go of his attachment, and Luke consequently feeling unable to train him, does feel like it arises naturally from what we know of the Jedi and the Force. Much as it was nice to see Luke back, sustaining that artificial CG construct for an extended academy story arc was never going to be practical, nor was dropping Grogu from the show. This outcome allows Luke and Ahsoka to fade back into occasional mentor cameo roles as the story needs, while also giving Grogu a grounding in the Force that will allow him to be more deliberate in its application in future.
What @MarkB said. Also, Grogu is an integral part of what makes The Mandalorian a good / popular show. There was no way they were going to get rid of him permanently. And if they had left Grogu with Luke, they would have essentially damned him to being murdered by Kylo Ren ... I'm sure you can picture the uproar that would have caused.

I heard the reviews were bad, so I skipped BOBF.
I wouldn't say it was bad. Just not as good as it could have been.

Zardnaar

Legend
I am so excited! This is really shaping up to be a big story.

I wonder if Sabine will make an appearance or will they save her for the Ahsoka spin-off?

Yeah, that was weird.

Is that Dr Pershing (possibly in disguise) at the 1:15 mark?

Probably make more sense to stick her in this one.
The Mando story arc has been developing since the Clone Wars show or argueably old Legends material.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Probably make more sense to stick her in this one.
The Mando story arc has been developing since the Clone Wars show or argueably old Legends material.
We already know that Sabine will be in Ahsoka. We don't know if she'll appear in Mando season 3 yet, though.

Remove ads