• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah.

As a fan of all three shows (Mandolorian, Firefly, Expanse), none of them are written better (IMO), they are just written differently. Different genres, different styles. All sci-fi (or sci-fantasy) goodness!

This.

Firefly never had to do more than one season, expanse is serious and Mando is fun.

Right now Mando's probably best "sci fi" show in. Expanse will be starting around Mando finishing.

Yeah.

As a fan of all three shows (Mandolorian, Firefly, Expanse), none of them are written better (IMO), they are just written differently. Different genres, different styles. All sci-fi (or sci-fantasy) goodness!

I respectfully disagree.

The Mandalorian's writing is very weak. The last episode is a perfect example. We have three characters that don't have particularly unique roles in their caper, breaking into an imperial base for weak reasons; The empire has been destroyed, but for some reason this one base still holds power over this entire planet. They bring along an untrustworthy ally, the blue alien, which never has any pay off. There is a set up regarding lava flows on the planet, which never gets a proper pay off either, except from the base blowing up.

They then sneak into the base and fiddle with the reactor controls, which apparently is enough to destroy the entire base in minutes with no fallback. A base wide alarm goes off which alerts every trooper in the base, and the group then just shoots their way out of the base with no real plan to escape. Mando kind of disappears for a while, and then suddenly shows up with his ship at the end. Which means he'd have to go all the way back to town (abandoning his friends) and hope his ship is fixed, only to return and save the day.

The only real positive about this plot, is the reveal at the end. But the plot structure is a mess. No proper set up and pay off, no suspense, twists or surprises. Every episode of the Mandalorian is like this. The main characters never seem in any real danger, and Mando himself seems invulnerable.

I'm not saying this show needs to have complicated plots like the Expanse has, or witty dialogue like Firefly. But this seems like writing 101 to me. There is something fundamentally lacking about the writing on this show.

Zardnaar

Legend
Interesting speculation video after interview with Esposito.

They're drawing heavily on legends. Basically is there anyone behind Moff Gideon. Palpatines the obvious one but Thrawns still out there, is part of the Filoni verse and leans more into cloning super soldiers and better stuff over "moar powah" superweapons.

MarkB

Legend
Interesting speculation video after interview with Esposito.

They're drawing heavily on legends. Basically is there anyone behind Moff Gideon. Palpatines the obvious one but Thrawns still out there, is part of the Filoni verse and leans more into cloning super soldiers and better stuff over "moar powah" superweapons.
I could certainly see there being someone higher up than Gideon, but I don't see them resolving Thrawn's fate without also resolving Ezra's, and that seems like a lot to drag into this series. Still, it could happen.

As for the rest of the speculation in the video, I feel like it gives Gideon more credit than he merits based upon what's been shown on-screen so far. We know he's a brutal commander, that his officers fear him more than they fear death, and that he's got his hands on the Darksaber and is running some exotic experiments. He may well have some designs upon setting himself up as a new leader on Mandalore, or something of the sort. But we don't yet have anything to show that he has larger-scale aspirations or the ability to carry them out.

Zardnaar

Legend
I could certainly see there being someone higher up than Gideon, but I don't see them resolving Thrawn's fate without also resolving Ezra's, and that seems like a lot to drag into this series. Still, it could happen.

As for the rest of the speculation in the video, I feel like it gives Gideon more credit than he merits based upon what's been shown on-screen so far. We know he's a brutal commander, that his officers fear him more than they fear death, and that he's got his hands on the Darksaber and is running some exotic experiments. He may well have some designs upon setting himself up as a new leader on Mandalore, or something of the sort. But we don't yet have anything to show that he has larger-scale aspirations or the ability to carry them out.

Yeah I see him as an Imperial warlord or replacement for Mohc.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I respectfully disagree.

The Mandalorian's writing is very weak. The last episode is a perfect example. We have three characters that don't have particularly unique roles in their caper, breaking into an imperial base for weak reasons; The empire has been destroyed, but for some reason this one base still holds power over this entire planet. They bring along an untrustworthy ally, the blue alien, which never has any pay off. There is a set up regarding lava flows on the planet, which never gets a proper pay off either, except from the base blowing up.

They then sneak into the base and fiddle with the reactor controls, which apparently is enough to destroy the entire base in minutes with no fallback. A base wide alarm goes off which alerts every trooper in the base, and the group then just shoots their way out of the base with no real plan to escape. Mando kind of disappears for a while, and then suddenly shows up with his ship at the end. Which means he'd have to go all the way back to town (abandoning his friends) and hope his ship is fixed, only to return and save the day.

The only real positive about this plot, is the reveal at the end. But the plot structure is a mess. No proper set up and pay off, no suspense, twists or surprises. Every episode of the Mandalorian is like this. The main characters never seem in any real danger, and Mando himself seems invulnerable.

I'm not saying this show needs to have complicated plots like the Expanse has, or witty dialogue like Firefly. But this seems like writing 101 to me. There is something fundamentally lacking about the writing on this show.
I'm not going to die on this hill. I do agree that this particular episode is a bit poorly structured. It's clear that the writers had two points to hit: Cara Dune's possible recruitment to the Republic, and the reveal about just what Gideon is up to. The blue alien's involvement has to be a set-up for something further, too - he really does seem extraneous.

Goliath Coins

Owner of Goliath Coins
Publisher
It is amazing how many people who were not Star Wars fans, now have an interest in the franchise. Baby Yoda was the hook to get them in. Now I know people who are not legitimately interested in the story and lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads