• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Marshal: an Essentialized Warlord

Mentat55

First Post
I am currently knocking around the idea of an Essentials version of the warlord, called the marshal. It would be a Str/Cha class built around auras that primarily grant conditional bonuses to allies.

My current skeleton of the class:
  • 12 + Con HP, +5 HP/lvl
  • Scale, light shield
  • Military melee, simple ranged
  • +1 to attack rolls for weapon attacks
  • inspiring word
  • marshal auras
  • Some sort of encounter attack power that grants bonuses to allies, maybe lets allies attack instead of the marshal

As I have started writing the auras, however, I have noticed that auras (as opposed to stances) are a bit more fiddly. However, I really like the idea of an aura, and it works in a slightly different design space. I am still working on my own auras, but any thoughts on the types of things that these auras should do would be great. So far, I am thinking along the lines of granting free saving throws, resisting forced movement, granting attack and damage bonuses, granting bonuses to defenses, and giving temporary hit points.

I would also appreciate any feedback you have about the ideas presented here in general.

Mentat55

First Post
Let me post a couple examples of auras I am trying to craft. One seems to function a lot like standard warlord at-will attack powers or the at-will stances we see for the knight and slayer, the other does not.

Stirring Words
At-Will * Aura, Martial
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until you end it as a minor action, you activate another marshal's aura, or until you fall unconscious. When you hit with a melee basic attack, one ally in the aura that can see and hear you can immediately attempt a saving throw against one effect that a save can end.

Bloody Vengeance
At-Will * Aura, Martial
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until you end it as a minor action, you activate another marshal's aura, or until you fall unconscious. Bloodied allies that can see and hear you in the aura gain a +3 power bonus to damage rolls.
Level 11: +4 power bonus.
Level 21: +5 power bonus.

My concern with stirring words is that it doesn't need to be an aura -- in fact, it seems somewhat artificial to force it into that particular design space. My concern with bloody vengeance is more generally a concern with any aura that offers a continuous bonus (i.e., not conditional on an action performed by the warlord) -- how to balance such a bonus. The bloodied condition seemed like an obvious one, but it may be too situation-specific.

I'd love to get some feedback on these ideas. In general, I think the auras should augment attack rolls and damage rolls, grant saving throws, grant shifts, provide defense bonuses, give temporary hit points, or provide some resistance against a particular type of attack (e.g., ignore 1 square of forced movement). In that vein, I just remembered another aura idea:

Stand Fast
At-Will * Aura, Martial
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until you end it as a minor action, you activate another marshal's aura, or until you fall unconscious. Allies in the aura that can see or hear you can ignore up to 1 square of forced movement.

Rune

Once A Fool
They look good to me. I suppose you could also grant attacks through an aura, though you would have spend actions to grant them, of course. In this case, aura 5 would probably be about right.

Remove ads