• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Matrix

Welverin

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
The two agents from the first movie didn't show up in the 2nd/3rd.

They didn't, but they also weren't destroyed that we know of.

And I *think* it was the same treo of agents each time they fought Morpheus and the gang in the 2nd/3rd movie.

They were, but they were only in Reloaded.

My guess would be that there are more than three agents in the system, but certain number, three, are assigned to a case (so to speak) and are left to solve the problem on their own.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Off-topic, Wickett, but it's hilarious that you've got that spoiler-block in your signature considering that the ad beneath your user icon makes your posts far longer than what you've hidden would. ;)

Furtive Noise

First Post
Something that always bugged me about the last film in particular is the machines behavior at the very end. Threats to them are eliminated... Smith is gone, Neo is dead, all thats left is the rebel humans. And though they could easily kill them they stop.. why? Because of a deal they made w/ Neo? Some conception of honor? They're damn relentless programs, they shouldn't care! Just like programs shouldn't have maternal urges and cute indian kid accents... just bleh. It was this kind of shift of humans v. machines to Super-Saiyen Neo v. Uber Smith that made the last 2 movies not as cool. And in a movie like the Matrix, cool is all you can really ask for.

Welverin said:
They didn't, but they also weren't destroyed that we know of.

They were, but they were only in Reloaded.

My guess would be that there are more than three agents in the system, but certain number, three, are assigned to a case (so to speak) and are left to solve the problem on their own.

About the Agents we see in Reloaded. No, they aren't the same two others from the first Matrix, but the second Neo sees them and starts the fight he says "Upgrades." So, it can be assumed that the old Agent programs were phased out for the new ones that just happen to look different.

Starman

Adventurer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
About the Agents we see in Reloaded. No, they aren't the same two others from the first Matrix, but the second Neo sees them and starts the fight he says "Upgrades." So, it can be assumed that the old Agent programs were phased out for the new ones that just happen to look different.

My big peeve with the "upgrades" was that Morpheus was able to handle his own fairly well on top of the truck on the highway against an "upgrade" in Reloaded when he barely survived a fight against a then "standard" Agent Smith in the first one.

Welverin

First Post
Starman said:
My big peeve with the "upgrades" was that Morpheus was able to handle his own fairly well on top of the truck on the highway against an "upgrade" in Reloaded when he barely survived a fight against a then "standard" Agent Smith in the first one.

Watch the movie again, Morpheus does not "handle his own very well" on top of the trailer, he is constantly on the edge of distaster and only survives because first Niobe and the Neo save him. The fight with Smith appears worse because it's in a confined space and Morpheus can't dodge/avoid attacks as well as he could in the open space on top of the trailer.

Same goes fro Trinity towards the end, she's gets her butt handed to her and ends up with her best option being to jump out the window of the fortieth floor of a skyscraper (or however high it was). Certainly not the kind of decision you make when you're doing well.

The only person in the sequels who doesn't have trouble with agents is Neo, and he is rather god like in his abilities at that point.

Welverin

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:

Actually it can't, because if they're upgrades they could have just added new software to the old programs, just like a plugin for your web browser. Another example, I didn't need to replace my copy of BG2 when I got ToB.

So, it could be either one.

Welverin

First Post
Furtive Noise said:
Something that always bugged me about the last film in particular is the machines behavior at the very end. Threats to them are eliminated... Smith is gone, Neo is dead, all thats left is the rebel humans. And though they could easily kill them they stop.. why? Because of a deal they made w/ Neo? Some conception of honor? They're damn relentless programs, they shouldn't care!

Of course they should, they're using them as batteries (or for processing power/RAM), so they're better off with the humans still around.

Furthermore, peace was the plan along, it was no accident, we just didn't know it right away.

Just like programs shouldn't have maternal urges and cute indian kid accents... just bleh.

Really, why not? And according to who?

The machines are treated as true intelligent beings, with their own wants and desires, is the desire to (pro)create so out of line?

Kesh

First Post
I think it was another aspect of binary thinking on the part of the machines. Neo opened another "logic path" for them, to make new choices. But, in the end it came down to two options:

1) Honor the agreement and allow humans choice. This option gives them some humans remaining in the Matrix, and others outside who may cooperate or rebel.

2) Refuse to honor the agreement, wipe out humanity and live a somewhat crippled existence. Given my preference for the "human CPUs" concept, think of it as the option to take a lobotomy. You'd survive, but knowing you'd never be able to think as well anymore.

Given the two options, they may have considered the first far more palatable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads