• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mechanics of Diplomacy.

Kurashu

First Post
I was sitting in Consumer's Ed today. And my teacher said something that made me think "That's rolling a natural 20 on your Diplomacy check." I almost shouted it aloud, but that would have just made everyone look at me weirder than they already do and gotten any laughs (at least for the notion of it being funny(.

But now, thinking about that thought, is just rolling really well or having a ridiculous modifier (or even both) all you require? Or is there actual discussion involved?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A diplomacy check always needs to accompany some sort of intention on the part of the player IMC. Either a stated course of action or a role-played conversation. If the player is roleplaying an encounter with the king and attempting to flatter him with honeyed words, that would be sufficient. If the player merely states his character applauds the king for his sense of justice that would probably be enough as well. Simply stating that the character walks into the throne room and makes a Diplomacy check to improve the king's attitude is not enough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads