• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Miniatures and Editions Connection

Do you USUALLY use miniatures to help with combat, and what game do you usually play?

• 2nd edition usually with miniatures

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AD&D usually without miniatures

• Original D&D usually without minatures

• Castles & Crusades usually with miniatures

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I came into D&D later than most people (I was 28), but the group that got me started always used minis (AD&D 2E). As a result, I've always used minis in every game I've played in or run. For me, minis are an integral part of the game. I can't imagine not using them (and don't want to imagine not using them:)).

Serendipity

Explorer
There wasn't an option for OD&D, AD&D, and 3.x without miniatures, but I'm running 3.x now, thus my answer. :)
(Not to say I never have, but the last time I used minis was, oh, around 1988 or so.)

Dragonbait

Explorer
Came in at 2ed and used mini's about 25% of the time. Found them to be very enjoyable (TOYS!) but not always practicle. Did not play wargames before this. Played 3E and on with mini's 100%. Love them, don't want to stop using them. Can't see how the RAW is used without a lot of confusion without them.

Wombat

First Post
We played our own variant of 3.0 (very, very deep variant) and, while we recognize that D&D pushes minis (being based on a set of miniatures rules), we only used minis for a little under half our combats. One of the reasons we moved away from D&D was to downplay the need for minis.

Mister Doug

First Post
I have used minis in almost all games of 1st edition, the two sessions of 2e I played, all the games games of 3.0 and 3.5, and the one test run of 4e I played. Minis have been part of my D&D playing since 1981, though in the height of my 3.x play, my minis were at their largest, most complex use with lots of terrain and overly complex setups. I used minis for my games of hero system/champions. But I never used minis for Storyteller games or Feng Shui games.

Jack99

Adventurer
4e with minis. Before that it was 3.5 with minis, 3.0 with minis, 2e with minis... see the trend? We have always used minis, no matter the edition.

Henrix

Explorer
Yeah, I'm another of those "have used miniatures since before time".

I've played with minis from the beginnings of 1st ed AD&D, and had already bought some minis, early Citadel, before I even knew what D&D was.

Remove ads