• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Monk: What changes would you like to see?

Ace

Adventurer
BillyBeanbag said:
I don't think they should have both a BAB and and Unarmed BAB there should be only one IMHO

I agree. A revised KI strike would be OK along with dropping the silly mtli classing thing and giving a few more options

nameless

First Post
Forrester said:
As long as a high-level monk is ineffective unless he's draped in hundreds of thousands of gold pieces worth of magic items, the 3E monk is going to suck.

Monks shouldn't need magic items. Hell, monks shouldn't be able to even use them. Nope. They're that damn cool.

I look at it completely opposite from this. All the other classes can benefit from magic items of many types, at all levels of power. Most of the current Monk's abilities don't synergize with magic items, especially magic weapons and magic armors. I would like to see the Monk reworked so he can use a good selection of magic without sacrificing his other abilities. Nobody else has to do that.

I don't think armor is necessary, but weapons are. Since monks tend to be good at disarms, trips, and grapples, which may be getting reworked as well, throw in some magic items that improve those attack forms. Maybe expand the weapon list that Monks can apply UBAB to, or simply allow him to roll his Unarmed damage instead of his weapon die when using martial arts weapons. Since many high level characters fly, give the Monk some kind of speed bonus when doing things other than ground movement. These are fairly minor things IMO, but would make all the difference when a Monk enhances his abilities with magic.

fusangite

First Post
I'm still of the opinion that the monk should not be a class in the core rules but instead should constitute a bunch of classes in an Oriental Adventures manual. Monks have no place within the traditional D&D genre; I'd rather have the monk done well for the environment for which it is suited than have the weird fish out of water character he is in 3E.

Merlion

First Post
There are equivelants of the monk in western european myth. Although they probably should've done away with the asian sounds class ability names in the core book.
And since there not going to remove it, but they are going to revise it...thats the part I'm interested in..

theoremtank

First Post
Lose the chaos alignment restriction for monks. Chaotic alignment does not imply the monk is without discipline. A lawful character is no more likely to be disciplined than a chaotic aligned character according to the way D&D defines the terms. Discipline, a strong monk trait, is independent of lawful or chaotic alignment.

Surefoot

First Post
I'd say eliminate the monk, period. My view of the monk has been corrupted after a player who played the lawful good half-orc monk with 'dirty fighting', who tried to steal the parties equipment when he left. So the monk in my book is ripe for nuking.

JPL

Adventurer
Fourecks said:

Although I quite like this idea, ultimately, I say get rid of the monk and keep it to setting books. It's just out of place in D&D, IMO, and only causes problems when players go, "Aww, but surely there's a way my character could've travelled three-thousand miles from the asian-like continent without gaining a single iota of XP!"

I always have that problem with ANY first-level character who is far from home. You could do "fell into gate" or "magical explosion" or "sold into slavery", of course...

But who says monks need to be pseudo-Asians, or that martial arts have to originate in pseudo-Asia?

And anyway...I know some karate instructors who have never been outside of Illinois. A character could be the local student of an imported grandmaster. If playing Miyagi is too much of a stretch, play Daniel-san.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads