D&D 5E The monsters recover HP with long or short rest ?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I changed my mind. There is a right way to play, and it's my way.

Constructs do not heal. They get repaired. If they are unable (for whatever reason) to repair themselves, or if they are not repaired by someone/something else, they do not gain HP back. A construct doesn't have morale, or luck, or other things that make up HP any more than a car has morale or luck.

Undead: they do not heal unless they have a source of power that grants the healing. Vampires drink blood, Lich's can channel magic, ghosts suck life, etc.

Living creatures: Just like any other living creature.

There. I have spoken, and this is my decree. It is the only right way to play D&D. You are welcome.

Thank you...I can finally go to sleep now.

/grin

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I changed my mind. There is a right way to play, and it's my way.

There. I have spoken, and this is my decree. It is the only right way to play D&D. You are welcome.
I'm glad we can now move on and consider other important things, like whether clones have belly buttons.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Thread necro FTW...

PHB 186 "Adventurers can take short rests in the midst of an adventuring day and a long rest to end the day."
PHB 313 "adventurer. See character"
DMG 89 "A nonplayer character is any character controlled by the Dungeon Master. NPCs can be enemies or allies, regular folk or named monsters."

I argue that the word "Adventurers..." on the PHB 186 line is synonymous with "characters", which per DMG 89 includes any named monster. Such wording must exclude non-named monsters else mentioning "named" would lack explanation.

Therefore named monsters can recover using the same resting rules as players. Monsters that aren't named don't recover that way. I don't know how they recover, but speak here only to what the rules appear to allow. As a DM, I would assume that adventurer-rate recovery is an advantage, and therefore the background campaign world recovery is slower than that.

CapnZapp

Legend
Monsters can spend their Hit Dice during short rests, and recover them during long.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

5ekyu

Hero
As a general rule in my games, not necessarily RAW, "names" recover as PCs and "extras" half that at most.

Exceptions would include organized groups where having the injured sent for healing and treatment would be an exceptional feature spotlighting their organized trait.

Exceptions would be chaotic or beastial groups where the weak likely either do not get any recovery or get killed for their stuff (and maybe as food) by their "comrades."

Exceptions would be creatures in very unfavorable circumstances where disease, predators, and other environmental elements may make it unlikely for non-named to get any healing and again bring survival itself into question.

Exceptions would be for creatures in very favorable circumstances such as unhallowed places or other such synergies where recoveries would be much faster and fuller.

So, in essense the rules i use tend to focus on a very general rule making the name/extra or boss/minion show different results and then a set of very specific ways to use this to spotlight key features as well.

Sometimes the players can exploit these things and sometimes it works against them. So that means figuring out which is which and acting accordingly is quite appropriate. Hit and run and recover regroup might be great in a swamp with predators and diseases against a large tribe of disorganized foes. But trying that in an undead infested shrine which keeps spawning more and more powerful energies... better to get in get it done and stop it quickly.

Some might consider this RAF.

I just consider it - being a GM.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The group of heroes faced a golem, but in the middle of combat decided to flee because they were at a disadvantage. One day after they return to the fight against Golem.

The golem recovers HP with Long or shor rest?

Overall, the monsters recover HP with long or short rest?

If this was an action movie what would make the most sense to you?

Remove ads