• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The morality of 'An eye for an eye'

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth: What alignment?

• Good

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 83 61.5%
  • Evil

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Too complicated for the alignment system.

Votes: 31 23.0%

TheEvil

Explorer
The latest 'What Constitutes Evil' (hereafter known as WCE) thread has got me wondering:
What alignment best matches the 'An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' approach to morality?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Arguably, I'd say either Chaotic Good, or Lawful Evil.
It kind of depends on what the laws allow.

But I think CG is technically defined as "eye for an eye".

Timeboxer

Explorer
I'd go for Lawful Neutral, myself. "Lawful Evil" is more "I can certainly take your eye if, by the rules of the game, I can do it," whereas I think "Lawful Good" would be concerned more with justice or turning the other cheek. But the moral accounting inherent in "eye for an eye" -- "You have done me a wrong and thus I can do you a wrong to balance the moral books" -- strikes me as definitely Neutral. And the "eye for an eye" doctrine itself is Lawful, to me.

"Eye for an eye" also implies, to me, "If you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone as well."

So.

ARandomGod

First Post
TheEvil said:
The latest 'What Constitutes Evil' (hereafter known as WCE) thread has got me wondering:
What alignment best matches the 'An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' approach to morality?

Lawful Neutral

Crothian

First Post
I'd go with e neutrals...lawful implies following the laws and few laws support this. Laws usually have set punishments that may or may not fit the crime, but it is not eye for an eye.

Stormborn

Explorer
Most certainly Lawful, and either Good or Neutral. Once you realize that "an eye for an eye" is meant to replace things like "A Head for an Eye" or the aristocratic "1 gp for an eye" you can begin to see that the system is intended to be fair and equitable regardless of rank or power. The peasent who is maimed by a lordling can expect justice and fair retribution or compensation for that, rather than a token fine or no justice at all, where as the high level PC or NPC whose friend was murdered in a bar fight can't just go out and slaughter the village of the offending party in retirbution.

Depending on the motivation behind that idea in a game world, an "eye for an eye" can be see of as Good, but Neutral seems safest. Certainly not Evil nor Chaotic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads