• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Most Broken Crunch in 3.5 (or what should I be banning)

Coredump

Explorer
Well, I just started a campaign, and had the same concerns as the original poster. But I discovered that these 'broken' rules are mostly (mostly) broken combo's, and are only exploitable if the players are as knowledgable as many of the posters here.

Yes there are some powers that are too powerful, but I think the majority are only dangerous when you have certain multi-class builds, or other effects that synergize strengths. Even powerful abilities, if not used repeatedly, are not that overwhelming.

Now, I have the advantage that I am very willing to fudge die rolls, or change NPC stats on the fly to liven up the adventure. I know some here view that as sacriledge, but if it makes a better story, I am all for it.

Altalazar

First Post
Case by case basis. Including what is in the core rules. That's the only way to go. That way you don't have to waste time worrying about what is "out there" and can just focus on your campaign, dealing with issues only as they come up from a player wanting to use them.

Personally, I'd rather not spend my precious time planning for gaming worrying about what is "broken" and instead focus on what wonders there are to explore in my world.

Impeesa

Explorer
I'd second the recommendation to not ask us, the opinions are just too diverse. As an example, I'd have no problem allowing pretty much anything that's been mentioned here so far. I can work with a PC that's a little on the high side of the curve.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed no one's mentioned the Hulking Hurler (or if anyone did, I missed it somehow). So long as they have the large size prerequisite in the first place, even a total n00b could accidentally break it wide open in their sleep. :/

--Impeesa--

buzz

Adventurer
Balance is in the hands of the DM. No matter what the players come up with, you have the power to compensate for inordinate strengths and weaknesses as they come up.

I'm generally in favor of letting players do whatever they heck they want, with DM approval, and erring on the side of whatever looks like it will be the most fun. Fun, not balance, is what it's all about.

IMO. :)

KB9JMQ

First Post
buzz said:
Balance is in the hands of the DM. No matter what the players come up with, you have the power to compensate for inordinate strengths and weaknesses as they come up.
I'm generally in favor of letting players do whatever they heck they want, with DM approval, and erring on the side of whatever looks like it will be the most fun. Fun, not balance, is what it's all about.
IMO. :)

I completely agree. I have never had anything "break" my game yet.
If it ever happens AND the game is not fun then I will "break" it from the DM's side to balance it back out and make it fun again.

kerakus

First Post
I've only ever had one thing "break" my game and that was my fault for allowing the players to coerce me into putting it into the campaign.

The Deck of Many Things

Q

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Sejs said:
And True Strike. Can't forget True Strike.

It's verbal only, too. Handy, that.
True strike + Power Attack has some drawbacks though. It costs you a standard action, which means you can't attack in the round you're casting it - much less make a full attack. It also only lasts for a single attack.

Thanee

First Post
Remathilis said:
I'll be starting a new campaign soon (I hope) in Eberron. What I want to do get a good feel of what feats/spells/classes/prcs I shouldn't even think twice about saying no to.

I'm trying to keep as many options open as possible, but I want to know what to say NO to that I might have missed...

That's really hard to say, since often specifics are different depending on style of play, apart from the obvious widely varied opinions on broken stuff, as already mentioned. :)

There are surely a few things, which are most definintely broken, like the Dweomerkeeper, the Ur-Priest (especially in combination with Mystic Theurge), or the already mentioned stuff from the XPH (plus some more, like Dispel Psionics (which should not combine both scaling and augmentation) or Psychic Reformation ;)). In the end, there are some really broken things in pretty much every book out there. :D

There are certainly some spells even in the PHB, which can break a campaign... like Find the Path.

In general, I'd just see what people come up with and then decide on a case by case basis. But tell them beforehand to check their character details with you. Also be sure to make clear, that if something turns out to take away of the fun in the campaign, you will reserve the right to deny it retroactively... just be more than sure, that you do it only if it is reaaaally necessary and in a fair way.

If you are worried about broken stuff, you could also require your players to come up with a decent background, which is reflected in the game stats, and tell them you don't want to see any pure powergaming exercises as "characters". If your players are in the same boat as you, that shouldn't be much of a problem, anyways.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads