• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The most important people in the world (my players stay out)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A few notes so I don't forget:

- Held in a demiplane where it is impossible to initiate offensive action against another. It is impossible to be hurt here. All visitors gain fast healing here, and do not age. Time passes normally. Visitors do not need to eat. [I don't want to worry about conflicts that aren't political while the PCs are there.]

- The creator of the demiplane has control over the sound levels, and can raise or dampen sound as desired, from utter silence to a loud broadcast audible to everyone. While in the demiplane, all languages are instantly translated.

- Invitees are welcome to bring a retinue, but only one person is allowed to participate in the actual conference. There are no exceptions. Mental contact (telepathy) between people is permissible. [I'm going to have one PC represent the adventuring group, with the other PCs in touch with him mentally. Meanwhile, the other players are each going to play a NPC in attendance!]

- The demiplane's creator can expel any creature at any time. It is impossible to enter the demiplane without explicit permission from the creator.

DreadArchon

First Post
Piratecat said:
- Invitees are welcome to bring a retinue, but only one person is allowed to participate in the actual conference. There are no exceptions. Mental contact (telepathy) between people is permissible. [I'm going to have one PC represent the adventuring group, with the other PCs in touch with him mentally. Meanwhile, the other players are each going to play a NPC in attendance!]
The PC's aren't all invited?

exempt

First Post
Yondelin

The voice of Urden of Ten Thousand Rings booms across the gathering, "Please be at rest," and the participants begin to take their places. Not much is said as the leaders take their places, mostly in anticipation of the import of the meeting. Just as the last few find their seats, a high, shrill voice breaks the silence:

"Hey! Get your ass outta here! Put that thing on me one more time and I'll make your buttocks concave!"

It's Yondelin, Troubadour of Chairs, once a masterful bard that could make the Gods of Happiness weep and the God of Death chuckle (nicely). What he could not do was make them both happy at once, however, and cursed irreversibly by them both, now spends his time as a simple, if not vocal, chair.

Funny as he is, Yondelin has not lost his skill and can yet bring a king and his kingdom to tears and cheers, and indeed, this he has so done, so enamoring the King of Therran with his witty tales and bawdy lyrics that the King scorned centuries of custom and passed the realm on to Yondelin.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yondelin is hilarious!

DreadArchon said:
The PC's aren't all invited?
Nope. I don't want it to become "The Piratecat Show," where I roleplay 18 NPCs arguing with one another. I'll give each player an alternative character with personality, goals, and information. Then they can talk to one another and share information.

Plus, all the PCs would normally communicate the same information, which means that one PC would talk and the others might become bored. If I give my players NPCs to roleplay AND let their normal PCs kibitz mentally with the one PC representative, they'll have more fun. Even better, there's more pressure on that one player, and that's going to be fun for him too.

I've done this sort of thing before, when one of the PCs was on trial for heresy. The other players played the secret lords of the city trying her, and it was a blast.

Kaodi

Hero
So, does this mean in the rundown of what happened, we will also get to see who played what character?

I suppose that you will be playing a few of the more important, central NPCs, like Ioun?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yes on both counts. I'll handle certain NPCs, and they'll handle some, and the rest are just there as extras in the background.

Sandain

Explorer
Perhaps an emmisary from Hell? They have a vested interest in the world not being destroyed since it is a source of a lot of souls, and millenia long plans are nearly coming to fruition.

No one will trust him, but he is perhaps the PC's staunchest ally in defeating the worms, and has a lot of resources to call on if an agreement can be reached.

Urgurahm, King of all Minotaurs, the warrior of the wasteland...the ayatollah of rock n' roll-ah!

Urgurahm has lead the world's only organized tribe of minotaurs for over a hundred years, and he shows no sign of slowing down. He hails from a vast wasteland, proudly preying on caravans. He wears the finest of his loot, opulent silks and jewelry from a dozen regions that would look gaudy on lesser beings. His hair is completely gray and his skin is a spiderweb of scars. Anyone foolish enough to ask about a scar should be prepared for at least an hour of romanticized gore and slaughter. At the slightest sign of disinterest, he flies into an indignant rage. He constantly drinks from a crude mug consisting of a keg of beer with the top torn off. When speaking with other warriors, he harshly mocks their abilities, claiming that he could easily take any of them apart in one-on-one combat without drawing a weapon. It's unclear whether he's drunk or just being a minotaur king.

Despite his mannerisms, he is earnestly working towards make sure he can hold power over his tribe for the rest of his long life. His consort consists of six highly elite minotaur guards in full plate armor carrying gigantic weapons, giving everyone shifty looks behind steel helmets. Sometimes they will respectfully offer advice on how to behave, which is usually heeded.

Slife

First Post
Oh, you know who really needs to be there? The epic team responsible for making the common language and currency systems. That sort of thing doesn't come about naturally.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads