• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The most POWERFUL classic monsters! (Read intro before voting!!!)

The most POWERFUL monster!

• Aboleth

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Beholder

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Celestial (Deva and higher)

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Demilich

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Demons (Nalfeshnee and higher. Includes half-fiends)

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Devils (Cornugons and higher. Includes half-fiends)

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Dragons (mature adult and higher)

Votes: 64 25.4%
  • Drow (NPCs)

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Duegar (NPCs)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Ghosts

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Lich

Votes: 50 19.8%
  • Vampire

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Werebeasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 28 11.1%

WizarDru

Adventurer
It ain't Dungeons & Mindflayers, folks. :D

Dragons, all the way. Yes, the players get 'giddy as schoolgirls' fighting 'em...but why not? They're good foes at all levels, from Calcyrx to Ashardalon, and can fit any niche you want them to. They can be misguided good guys, vile bad guys, polymorphed, playing the deep game and so much more.

Devils and demons? They're OK, I guess...but players tend to Dismissal their butts more than anything. They end up feeling like Mr. Mtzlptlyk more than anything else. Now Mind-Flayers....they ARE scary. A good second place, I think.

Vaxalon

First Post
Yeah, yeah, Dragons...

The thing is, Dragons seem to be a bit to PRIMAL for me, to be the focus of a whole campaign.

Smaug vs. Sauron

Sure, Smaug was scary, but he was a prologue to the Real Enemy.

Gimme a Mind Flayer as the Super Big Bad Guy any day... now THOSE guys are DEVIOUS.

They have GOALS.

Dragons seem more satisfied sitting on their hoards.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Without a doubt - Mind Flayer.

I have not yet seen a player that wasn't creeped out if the HINT of a mindflayer was in the advanture somewhere - much less a whole COMMUNITY of the things. It's simple to play them as alien - they are unfathomable, they control your thoughts, they can eat your brain, they can send slaves of weak mind but tremdous strength against you, they can eat your brain, they have communities to back them up, they can eat your brain, and they after they eat the afore-mentioned brain, they steal your darned BODY!

Even before Bruce Cordell created the Illithiad, the Mnd Flayers were scary as heck all the way from the monster manual. The 2E Monstrous Manual made them even viler.

(BTW, if Bruce Cordell ever ends up reading this thread - I want you to know that the Illithiad is the one and only D&D work that has scared the hell out of me, and imprinted the nightmarishmess of mind flayer in my mind's eye forever.)

Cedric

First Post
I voted "Other", I didn't read anyone elses posts yet, but I'm sure someone brought this up.

Mind Flayer - definately.

Illithid's inspire more fear in me and the players I have played with then anything else. They are just plain scary man.

Intelligent, extremely well organized, fantastic communication among themselves in battlefield conditions. Harsh negotiators and pure evil.

Scary man...scary.

Cedric

First Post
Pound for Pound

takyris said:

Pound for pound? Are you sure?

A colossal dragon weighs around 250,000 pounds. Assuming that a lich weighs in at 125 pounds (loss of weight due to skeletonacity), that means that pound for pound, a colossal dragon equals 2,000 liches.

And while, as a player, I would have a sort of train-wreck fascination with being put up against 2,000 of the world's mightiest wizards and clerics in undead form, I think I'd probably prefer to go with ONE dragon as my big bad guy. :D

-Tacky

Pound for Pound? Umm... I like meant that like in reverse...:D Yeah thats the ticket.

Okay so the Lich is the toughest guy on the block, pound for pound.:p

GrayIguana

First Post
Dragons with Goals

I had to go with Dragons. I had a very long campaign in which an ancient wyrm was a central villain. I like to throw some twists into my villains, so this dragon didn't just sit on his hoard. He actively sought to grow his treasures. He had paid mercenaries, and servants who did a large part of his dirty work. This was a secret society, but in reality this dragon ruled the "black market" of a certain region. He was the godfather of a large turf, and I happily sent a few PCs to "sleep with the fishes".

First Post
pound for pound yet again!

Well you're right sleezesteve, ghosts and all other incorperal creatures are the toughest pound fer pound. Not even a great wyrm Prismatic can claim that title:p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads