• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Most Powerful Item

paradox42

First Post
Right now the PCs in my Epic game have temporary custody of an artifact created by Overgods in the unthinkably distant past. They call it the Nullifier, though they know that isn't its real name; in fact, its "real name" isn't even a word at all but rather an intricate symbol which bears a striking resemblance to the physical form of the artifact itself.

Whatever its name, the Nullifier has 23 total powers, the primary one of which lends it its name: pointed at a target and activated, it can negate that target's most valuable ability (that is, whatever the target considers most valuable at that time becomes just plain gone/unavailable). Bye-bye breath weapon. Bye-bye divine blasts. Bye-bye, flight (magical or otherwise). Bye-bye, teleportation. Whatever the target most wants to use, the Nullifier takes away- no save, no SR, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Other powers the PCs are aware of include the ability to create an incredibly powerful guardian construct at will (I used the stats for an Orichalcum Guardian from the Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary Volume I for this beast), the ability to produce a beam which deals tremendous damage (we're talking average amounts in the ten-thousand range), and the ability to alter the weight of any desired object so as to make it effectively lighter or heavier than it "really" is. The PCs do not know how to activate any of these powers, but they know they exist due to divination spells revealing their existence. Perhaps more importantly, they actually had to fight the Guardian when they found the artifact in the first place. :] Ah, the fun I had running that fight...

Powers the PCs aren't yet aware of include the ability to create Dimension Lock over a tremendous area (they suspect it can do this, due to the fact that the area they got it from- an entire continent-sized geometric object on Acheron's third layer- was thusly locked, but have no proof yet), the ability to force a target to use the worst possible roll for one check, and the ability to create a Time Stop-like effect lasting several minutes of apparent time which can be tuned to affect several targets at once (that is, those targets can all enter the Time Stop together regardless of spellcasting ability or lack thereof).

The remaining 16 powers are blanks on my list, until I think of something suitably nasty; they're supposed to be on par with all of the above however. Since the PCs have mainly concentrated on using the one power they do know how to activate, I haven't been in any hurry to make up the rest. :)

Last edited:

William drake

First Post
Mark CMG said:
What is the single most powerful item one of your PCs ever had in a game?

If you DM only, feel free to mention the single most powerful item you allowed in your game. If you do both, feel free to mention both, of course.

Mornblade...or Stormbringer

Both do something like 1d8+5+2d6's+1d100 and all of this was CON damage. It was a soul sucking sword. Nice huh, yeah the swords were in the game "Dragonlords of Melnibone" they were Elric's swords, but I just thought I'd mention them.

But in one game that went borderline epic, someone made the Havock staff that Skeletor used in the H-Man cartoon. It was awesome, but too bad I don't remember all the crap he put into it.

robberbaron

First Post
As a player = +5 Dancing Longsword of Life-Stealing (1e)

As a DM = Hmm. I've handed out a few artifacts recently (Philosopher's Stone [sold without investigation], Deck of Many Things [used then sold], Talisman of Reluctant Wishes [quest item - handed over to employer without investigation]) but none have been kept.
The players prefer to have their kit bespoke.

lazarus1020

First Post
If any of you have seen the movie Heavy Metal you have heard of the Locnar, the green orb of evil.

I created a artifact based around this which had the power to animate any dead creature in the vacinity with no maximum to the number of hit dice. I thought it would be interesting for the party to have a object so evil and not know about it. The party's cleric ended up worshiping the orb and made for some interesting role playing when he would stop to speak with the orb.

luke_twigger

First Post
"Most powerful" in terms of relatively common items in the DMG not something campaign specific with custom powers, I'd have to say a Ring of Blinking in the hands of my halfling rogue.

Imperialus

Explorer
A +1 dagger...
No I'm not kidding. This things natural form was a +1 dagger. Thing is, it was intelligent and had a few other abilities.

First, it could morph into other weapons. It could do this once per day for every + that it had.

Second, it "ate" magic items. Literally. I don't remember the exact mechanics of it but it could destroy other magic items upon hitting them.

Third, for every I belive 1000 GP worth of magic items it "ate" in a month it got an additional +1, up to a maximum of becoming a +5 unholy, flaming burst... I don't remember the rest but it effectively worked out to +12 or so.

Downside was, it was very intelligent, and very evil... and addicted to magic items like a crack fiend.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
As a DM I have handed out an animated, intelligent Staff of the Magi. A close second was a mithril scrollcase that had seven of the most powerful cleric spells attached to it, each being able to be cast seven times a week.

sckeener

First Post
I think the most powerful I had as a player was
fluff stuff:
a frig that completed anything put into it....if I had a drop of a potion and put the vial in with the drop, the next day it would have a full vial. It also worked on foods. Of course it was also an extra dimensional space too so I basically had a complete stock of magical wines, ales, and liquors.

clothing that I could change into whatever I wanted....no bonuses to chr though

crunch stuff:

a demon-lord bound into a sword, +5 long sword. Besides the fun of it constantly trying to dominate me, it liked to sacrifice people. If it was used in a sacrifice (the person had to be leveled and pure-LG), then it had an Akira effect (prismatic sphere) that grew from the sword to 10' per level destroying everything (except the wielder) as it grew. It could teleport w/o error.

A whip that negated magical effects. It could be used once per round, but it could be used even when it wasn't the wielder's action.

I had a PC in a campaign that created an Elric-rip off. He begged and begged for a Stormbringer blade. I gave in, but told him that it would be no more than a +3 sword unless he was able to find Mournblade. Which he never did.

I once tried to convince the GM of our Call of Cthulhu game to allow me to play a time-travelling Elric, since the systems were the same. He didn't go for it, but I thought it would've been a neat exercise and fit perfectly with the weirdness.

William drake said:
Mornblade...or Stormbringer

William drake

First Post
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
I had a PC in a campaign that created an Elric-rip off. He begged and begged for a Stormbringer blade. I gave in, but told him that it would be no more than a +3 sword unless he was able to find Mournblade. Which he never did.

I once tried to convince the GM of our Call of Cthulhu game to allow me to play a time-travelling Elric, since the systems were the same. He didn't go for it, but I thought it would've been a neat exercise and fit perfectly with the weirdness.

yes, those two swords are the nasty of nasty...I'd try and use them too if I could, it would be fun.

Yeah, with those sword I think cthulhu might have a run for his money.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads