• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mystery of The katana

Klaus

First Post
I recently re-watched '300', and it was a good advert for the spear and large shield :) Seriously though, I've often thought that the spear was under-represented as a suitable weapon in D&D.

Although my favourite individual weapon is probably the quarterstaff, inspired by the contemporary writeup of Richard Peeke vs the spanish, recounted here Quarterstaff vs. Rapiers: Peeke’s Three to One | Martial History Magazine as well as other historical english martial arts sources.

Is talking about wooden sticks far enough away from Katanas yet? :)
The other day I watched the Robin Hood documentary on the History Channel, and the military historian they put up (I forget his name) was very enthusiastic in his practice of medieval combat, showing how the buckler was pretty much a metal fist you could use to deflect blows/punch opponents, and how the staff could be used "long form" (as a two-handed reach weapon) or "short form" (as a double weapon used to trip opponnents).

MarkB

Legend
I recently re-watched '300', and it was a good advert for the spear and large shield :) Seriously though, I've often thought that the spear was under-represented as a suitable weapon in D&D.

My Eladrin fighter loves his shield-and-spear combo. With the feats he's built up over 11 levels, he can use his shield to push or trip opponents, and wields a Tratnyr which can be used as a melee or thrown weapon with equal effectiveness.

4e does make spears pretty useful, if you invest in the right character build.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...That said, it's a little bewildering that the immortals of Highlander didn't wear gorgets...

I've wondered about this also, but just figured it must have been one of their "rules" (like Holy Ground).

And the movie never really explains what happens if you violate Holy Ground (I don't count the sequels or the series...they were too contradictory and retconned waaaaayyyy too much for me...).

I wonder what would have been the effect of violating a rule against neck protection...

:cool:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I recently re-watched '300', and it was a good advert for the spear and large shield :) Seriously though, I've often thought that the spear was under-represented as a suitable weapon in D&D. ...

I agree also. Throughout history, it's the spear that had a far larger impact than the sword ever did. Swords are good, all purpose, weapons for personal protection (and dueling:D) - but for war, the spear's the weapon you want.

It's definitely under-represented in D&D. And I think even including realistic mechanical advantages to their use might not even be enough to convince most players to use them. The sword just seems to be too entrenched in our cultural preconceptions.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
In my Iron Age Celtic setting, I'm developing for next year, half the people you'll meet, plus have the humans you fight will be armed spear and shield, the rest of the humans are sword and shield, otherwise sling wielders are the only non-monster combatants that don't have shields.

Although my Celts can have access to medium armor, that would only be for the clan chiefs, kings and champions. All other Celtic combatants have no armor other than the shield, following what is known historically.

And I'm definitely including several feats specifically involving spears, as well as a specific combat maneuver for spear wielders, called Salmon Leap.

GP

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I agree also. Throughout history, it's the spear that had a far larger impact than the sword ever did. Swords are good, all purpose, weapons for personal protection (and dueling:D) - but for war, the spear's the weapon you want.

It's definitely under-represented in D&D. And I think even including realistic mechanical advantages to their use might not even be enough to convince most players to use them. The sword just seems to be too entrenched in our cultural preconceptions.
The spear is cheaper to produce, keeps the other guy farther away (which always helps) and really shines in formation fighting. Aside from the formation thing I think D&D4e models a good spearman better than previous editions.
Interesting enough is does not (as far I have seen) provide any benefit to pcs for formation fighting, though several monsters do get such benefits.

Swords rule in popular culture because we now get out myths from movies and movies have always shown sword fights. Then enter manga and related stuff with more and even more spectular sword fights.
The only exceptions that sp[ring to mind are the medieval stuff where lances, battle axes and maces are quite common.

Last edited:

Korgoth

First Post
The sword is a sidearm, just like the pistol. For whatever reason, we love for the hero to use a sidearm!

I'd rather see Chow Yun Fat wipe out dozens of mooks using a pistol or two, rather than the (vastly superior) M4 carbine, or whatever.

Hussar

Legend
Another vote for the spear. I would love to see spears and other pole arms take a more prominent place in the game.

The fact that for much of D&D, the sword was simply the best weapon to take pretty much follows how important the concept of swords in fantasy is. Heck, it's only been fairly recently that you see Hollywood heroes use anything but a sword.

Go spears!

Remove ads