• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The nasty Vrock demon and it's Spores ability

Wolfix

First Post
The Vrock (p48 of MM 3.5) has an Extraordinary ability to release spores:

"Spores (Ex): A vrock can release masses of spores from its body once every 3 rounds as a free action. The spores automatically deal 1d8 points of damage to all creatures adjacent to the vrock. They then penetrate the skin and grow, dealing an additional 1d4 points of damage each round for 10 rounds. At the end of this time, the victim is covered with a tangle of viny growths. (The vines are harmless and wither away in 1d4 days.) A delay poison spell stops the spores’ growth for its duration. Bless, neutralize poison, or remove disease kills the spores, as does sprinkling the victim with a vial of holy water."

My question to you experienced folk out there, can you get damaged again if you're already damaged once by the spores?

So say Fred the Fighter gets tagged by this ability, he takes 1d8 damage. The next 2 rounds he takes 1d4 damage each. Then if the Vrock decides to use his ability again, does Fred take 1d8 damage again? Does he take 2d4 damage the next round?

CM

Adventurer
I'd have to say the spores stack, like (3.0) wounding effects and poison. If you keep getting hit, they keep adding up. Otherwise, I think the designers would have included some wording on overlapping durations.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I've ruled that when multiple spore effects hit the same character, the initial damage works normally, but the ongoing damage increases in duration rather than stacking. That is, a character spored by 2 vrocks would take 2d8 damage in the first round, then 1d4 damage for 20 more rounds.

I have absolutely no evidence that this is how it's supposed to work. I just think the ability would otherwise be a bit strong for the CR. (Two or three vrocks would be extremely nasty to a party that had not eaten their heroes' feast recently enough.)

frankthedm

First Post
I'd say the 1d8 initial damage stacks, while the continual 1d4 only uses the worst amount rolled each round as the spores compete with one another for growing space on the victim.
AuraSeer said:
I have absolutely no evidence that this is how it's supposed to work. I just think the ability would otherwise be a bit strong for the CR. (Two or three vrocks would be extremely nasty to a party that had not eaten their heroes' feast recently enough.)
Heroes feast and other means of poison immunity and disease immunity do not stop vrock spores. The spores {IMO a parasite*] have notable vulnerabilty to the listed spells, but the spells have to be cast on the spores. Buffing up won't help, being a paladin won't Help, being a Demon won't help, casting one of those spells onto the growing spores will help.

*Parasites don't come up as often as they used to in D&D. Thankfully Cure Disease notes them and specifies the spell kills them in addition to curing diseases.

Remove Disease
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Rgr 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Remove disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from. The spell also kills parasites, including green slime and others. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.
Note: Since the spell’s duration is instantaneous, it does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease at a later date.

Remove ads