• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Need for Mead... and other gaming accoutrements

edbonny

Explorer
Hey All,

My group currently plays in a gaming shop and have done so for years. Now that I have purchased a house, I plan on shifting the game there... and that opens up more possibilities for newer RPG experiences.

In a Theskan inn scenario, I am going to bring out cups of mead and other fine ales (beer) to enhance the roleplaying atmosphere and fun.

I was wondering what else (food, music, props, drink, etc.) that can be prepared at home and used at home games which have been a success for you out there.

Thanks, Ed

Maerdwyn

First Post
Drinks:
We don't drink alcohol too often during a session, but when we last did, I was immensely gratified that my favorite ale was such a hit with the group: Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Another ale I really like is Newcastle Brown Ale, and when I'm in Massachusetts visiting my folks, I like Wachusett Ale (not sure if you can get it in NJ or not) (I can talk for a long time about beer, but thee recs should do for now :))

I also like ciders a lot (Woodchuck being my favorite of the bigger brands, Henry Weinhard's - not so much, IMHO.)

Monte Cook posted a nice list of music he uses in his games in a long thread about music a while back. If you can't find the thread, I think it's on his website somewhere.

As for other props/atmosphere stuff, some of this depends on your gaming space, talents, budget, etc. After the holidays, I bought a 24lb turkey for $3, and seved roast turkey and one of the aforementtioned ales to the group before (and during as it turned out) the gaming session. I had a an Irish harp CD (bought from the bargain bin at a used cd store) playing in the background. I turned the lights down lower, and had a fire going in the fireplace. Worked quite nicely.

Dire_Groundhog

First Post
Back in college, we always had plenty of fine dark ale to drink during our gaming sessions. There as a nice era when August Schell 22oz bottles of Schmaltz Alt cost only $0.99.

Be sure to pass out new beers too. Some regions might be famous for a really hoppy brew ,serve IPAs when they are in that region, or Guiness and Beamish in another, even if they don't like it they will begin to associate tastes to a region. If there is one they like, maybe they can find it imported in another region, but the cost may be more dear. I would be willing to shell out an extra couple of gold for one of MY favorite beers.

For food, we generally had a couple of chunks of cheese (munster and harvarti are a nice change from cheddar and freaking marble jack-which IS NOT a cheese in my mind) and a loaf of hearty bread. Some sort of whole grain or rye. Place the bread, cheese, a salami (or any cold cuts) on a platter and let the players cut their portions. Serve will the local favorite beer, add a plate of apples and you have a really nice adventurer's cold meal.

The crock pot is your friend. Prepare in advance a thick beef and barely stew, or just a big pot full of root vegetables (we call them pot roast vegies at home, even if they don't come with the pot roast). Wash a bunch of potatoes, peel some carrots, throw in a couple of quartered onions and just a little water. Makes a good winter meal when fresh vegies and greens are not to be found. If they are eating at a better inn you might put the pot roast in the crock pot too. Remember that common folk didn't eat a whole lot of meat.

Simple foods for common inns. Fancy inns might have a tropical fruit salad on the menu, they may feature dishes with sauces ( fetticini alfredo with peas). I am sure that if you paged through the Joy of Cooking, or one of the Frugal Gourmet's cookbooks you would fine plenty of inspiration. Jeff Smith has a really good cookbook featuring the recipes imigrants brought with them when they came to america. Since immigrants were generally poor, there should be lots of ideas for foods you would fine at a common inn.

I recently found this awesome italian deli. They had cheeses and meats I had never imagined (truffle cheese, either goat or cow;s milk at around $20 a pound). It is almost sad, that I walk in there and I am trying to figure out how I can incorporate a big plate of meats and cheeses into a gaming session. Perhaps a bottle of red wine and a bowl of olives (they had no less that 15 types of olive). When I lived in CA, there was an awesome Hungarian Deli that sold smoked paprika bacon and cserkziz (a spicey meat stick, and I mangled the spelling). Check out your ethnic markets and serve things your players may not have tried before. If they are in a fishing village, the snack can be sardines on hard tack (Wasa bread), if they are in a trade city, they might find saffron rice, strange spicey noodles, or odd fruits.

Personally I would be happy with a block of cheese, a loaf of crusty bread, and a good hoppy ale everytime.

These ideas may be somewhat cost prohibitive. Good beer and imported foods can be expensive. Maybe your players would be willing to shell out $5 each (their pizza money) to have you handle the arrangements for food and beverage. They may get things they don't like sometimes, but hey, isn't that what adventureing is all about? If they want to eat roast beef and drink their favorite wine with each meal, they better work on becoming a nobleman!

Dire_Groundhog

First Post
Speaking of the need for mead...

I was wondering what brand or type of mead you get. The stuff they serve at the local Ren Fest is terrible. When I was in Ireland we had dinner at Bunratty (sp?) Castle. The mead they served there was AWESOME! My serving wench even brought me a pitcher of it for dinner (they had pitchers of cheap boxed wine on the tables when we got to the dining hall).

I have not had much luck finding good mead in the states. I can't remember the name of the mead they had at Bunratty either.

Thanks!

I met a guy at a local "all you can drink Guiness" fest that makes his own mead. Now that I own a home I am thinking of starting my own little stockpile. He ages it for like 10 years though! What will I do in the mean time?

edbonny

Explorer
Re: Speaking of the need for mead...

Dire_Groundhog said:
I was wondering what brand or type of mead you get. The stuff they serve at the local Ren Fest is terrible.

Bunratty Mead is bottled and available for sale in the US. That is what I picked up last night on the way home from work... in a remote corner of NJ (I might add)... I've seen it elsewhere in the state and in NY and Delaware. Large liquor stores should carry it. I have always found it in the wine section.

And thanks to all of you for the advice. The hunk o'bread and cheese is simple yet brilliant.

- Ed

bushfire

First Post
Re: Speaking of the need for mead...

Dire_Groundhog said:
I met a guy at a local "all you can drink Guiness" fest that makes his own mead. Now that I own a home I am thinking of starting my own little stockpile. He ages it for like 10 years though! What will I do in the mean time?

He was probably a wine maker first, mead brewer second. Making mead is not like making wine, it is more akin to beer making (or more closely Ale), with honey taking the place of the malt.

Mead *does not* need to age 10 years to be good. I brew a lot of mead (about 30 - 40 gallons a year) and rarely have any that is older than 6 months old around. If I push it I can get a 5 gallon batch out on less than 8 weeks, and it is more than drinkable (usually quite good). I have made meads in quantities as small as 1 gal batches to 15 gal batches (I got big carboys :) )

Of course most of my meads are "straight" meads, fairly sweet, with only a few methleglins or melomels.

Mead is simple and easy to make at home. You can do it with minimal equipment (1 gal glass jug) and supplies. Especially in America now you can get homebrew supplies just about anywhere.

A good list of links can be found here
http://www.inetone.net/mshapiro/mead.html

Mead making has been around for thousands of years with evidence going back at least 5000 years, most likely mead was the first fermented beverage made by man. It is not rocket science, don't be intimidated.

Dire_Groundhog

First Post
Bushfire,

Thanks for the excellent mead info link! Also good to know that I can make something and drink it in a matter of weeks rather than years.

The person I referred to is also a homebrewer. I have dabbled in homebrewing, and have been moving my 7 gallon carboys around for years just waiting for an opportunity to fill them with malty goodness.

I did a search earlier today on mead, and found a winery near my that makes something called honeywine. I can not assertain whether or not it is real mead or the honey flavored wine. I plan on going there tomorrow to taste it and find out.

Remove ads