• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

Mirtek

Hero
Sure, but that definition doesn't fit 5e.
It absolutely does. It's simply not what they say that matters, but what they do
The PHB (and other core books) reference multiple worlds.
Which doesn'T change what is actually happening.

Yes, officially the setting is the multiverse. Yes, there have been reference to it everywhere. But that's all there is. WotC has in practice done 87% FR, 13% Ravenloft and that's it. If we're generous we could count the smatterings of mentionings of other settings as another 1%, then we're at 86% FR, 13% RL, 1% others
There is a focus on the Forgotten realms in mega-adventures, organized play, and transmedia, and there is one non-adventure book (SCAG) that is an explicitly Forgotten Realms product. But nothing else (except for the TftYP intro, and maybe the VGtM intro if you want to force it) defaults to the Forgotten Realms.
But there is nothing else. That's his point.
It is factually incorrect to state that the Forgotten Realms is the default setting for 5e D&D.
In practice it is, because almost everything that WotC releases is FR. They say that the mutliverse is the default, but theyre all but exclusively use the FR corner of it.

pogre

Legend
The WOTC/HasBro folks know way more than me about marketing, but it's hard for me to get too fired up for a release we will not see until mid-September.

StarFyre

Explorer
That's it ? :( was hoping for more...

Still upset they never did a Baphomet when they did those demonlords (need to try and sculpt my own now) or the cloud and stone giants with the last adventure plans.

Gale Force 9 will be releasing minis:
* Paladin riding velociraptor
* T-Rex vomiting undead
* Stacking masked goblins

Irennan

Explorer
No, that's not how "official" works.

Yes, it is when it comes to Ed Greenwood and the Realms. As I explained above, it's a clause to his contract with TSR, which WotC inherited. You may not accept it as lore for your game, like many do even with WotC's material, but it still is canon.

Ed Greenwood made sure that such clause was included, alongside a reversion clause, to be able to keep publishing the Realms in case TSR decided to shelf the IP.

So... we don't get the awesome black/red official dice they were using? And peeps there were wearing an array of nice shirts which we can't have either. Along with the mugs we can't have. *Facepalm*

Kyvin

Explorer
I think it's actually going to be a new flavor of Aarakocra. Apparently some live on Chult in the Miscliffs. I hope they are included as a player option, especially since they have never made it into a print source.

I found this preview pic:

dave2008

Legend
No, that's not how "official" works.

I believe when it comes to Ed and the Realms that is exactly how it works. If I remember correctly his contract with WotC says as much. Of course I have never actually seen it, just what people say on this inter-web thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads