• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The new exploration rules, discussion

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Blackwarder said:
I agree, but while TOR journey mechanics is baked into the system in all the levels, the current exploration mechanic feels like it need some more work. For example I would love to have some sort of fatigue test for wilderness exploration.

1of3 said:
An encounter only happens, when someone botches the roll. In this system the monsters keep coming by themselves. That makes the integration of the travel rules very simple: You leave "travel mode" as soon as a botch happens (or when you arrive at your chosen destination). The system here isn't so clean.

Also in TOR there is another job: Hunting.

Yeah, they're not the same, but I thought the intent of "turn exploration into an action economy" was well represented. I don't imagine NEXT rules can be as integrated as TOR's rules are, what with modularity, but I would like to see something about the bad things that happen when you don't explore too good, and making an encounter a punishment doesn't work within NEXT's current XP rules, but maybe those are due for a re-examination anyway.

jhunton

First Post
they sort of take the rolplay out of the eqetion.and turn it in to a bord game .althoue I like do like the idaer the rules are a bit over done :cool:

Klaus

First Post
I wonder if backgrounds could factor into this. For instance, a Guide (thanks to the Wanderer trait) could be given advantage on navigation checks (or give that up to do navigation + one task simultaneously).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads