• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The new Gamma World - Thoughts/Questions

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!

Mutations and Artifacts
- From what I remember, a player builds a deck of 7 Mutation and 7 Artifacts. Mutations are discarded after every encounter (or an "Alpha Flux") and re-drawn. Artifacts may have to be discarded, or might get to be used for a while depending.

That seems really wierd to me, and not in the normal 'spirit' of GW. PCs were pretty much defined by their mutations, and now they have a randomly changing selection of them?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Is it like if the have the 'pyrokinetic mutation' they can include a number of pyrokinetic power cards which might be at-will, encounter or daily?

tallyrand

First Post
Is there anything stopping us from simply ignoring the alpha mutations?

Nothing at all, and while it will slightly decrease the players "power level" it can be easily made up through making Omega Tech and ammunition more plentiful.

The game seems to really be what you want to make of it, with a easily sliding scale of craziness. I've seen several people speaking of using it as the base for a 4e supers game.

Plaguedguy

First Post
A summary of my thoughts/observations on Gamma World after working with it for most of the evening:

I need more time with the GW monsters to really get a full idea of how they scale but I can't see any reason why you couldn't do cross overs in either direction. The monsters are formatted almost identically but the power levels feel off. Throwing D&D monsters into GW or GW monster into D&D seems entirely possible.

Ammunition works as previewed: If you use an ammunition-based weapon more than once in an encounter you are out of ammunition after that encounter. It can only be replenished by a random junk roll or by the DM (via loot or trading or what have you.)

There's no currency, and mundane equipment is simply taken as you wish at character creation. Armor is basic (Light and Heavy Armors, Shield) Weapons are categorized by weight (Light and Heavy), by style (One or Two Handed), by range (Melee or Ranged) and by whether they're firearms (Using Ammunition.) It's left up to the player to decide how to describe what they have: A one handed light melee weapon could be a machete or a pair of scissors. A one handed light firearm could be a Glock or a Derringer.

There are junk items (including things like decks of cards and Twinkies) that appear to be trade or roleplay fodder as none have outlined functions or rules. Even some gear in the character creation section is simply tagged 'You'll figure out a use for it.'

Each origin has a defined set of Powers, every so many levels you choose a new Power from your primary or secondary origin. Alpha Mutations act like additional Powers and are changed frequently (after an encounter, a natural roll of 1, at the start of a new session, etc.) Alpha Mutations that compliment your origins are easier to overcharge and use.

Omega Tech are like Encounter Powers and Magic Items combined and are 'tapped' (yes, like in Magic: The Gathering) when used. At the end of the encounter you roll to see if the item is depleted, if not it's untapped and can be re-used. If it is depleted it can be salvaged (which turns it into a permanent but less powerful item) otherwise it is lost.

Omega Tech is drawn at the end of 'most' encounters (DM fiat.) When a player has his or her own deck of cards, there's a roll to determine whether they draw from their deck or the DM's deck. The DM is supposed to use all of the cards in the boxed set as their base decks but may add cards.

My observation is that the game is designed from the ground up to be open ended and humorous. There are jokes mixed in with rules explanations and the DM guide amounts to a basic explanation of how to design an encounter and several reminders that the game isn't a competition and that the objective is collective storytelling. There's not much in the way of rules for non-combat situations. No such thing as a Skill Challenge for example.

There's an emphasis that Gamma World campaigns will tend to be short and messy. Monsters appear to top out at level 6 or 7. Alpha Mutations and Omega Tech are definitely on the goofy side and would have potentially serious balance issues in a D&D game. From my experiences so far I'd call Gamma World the 'Grindhouse' version of 4e, but I intend to run at least one mini-campaign before finalizing my feelings on the game.

Melkor

Explorer
Alpha Mutations - I am kind of digging them now.

I am actually warming up a bit to the idea of Alpha Mutations now that I have had a chance to get a better feel for them.

The random nature of discarding and drawing a new Alpha Mutation every encounter fits with the background a bit better. Basically, in 2012, a Hadron Collider in Geneva, Switzerland was being used for energy experiments with something really bad happened, and several realities collided. These shifting realities caused the Gamma World setting to become what it did, and these shifting realities are what causes your Alpha Mutations to change after every encounter - not just radiation as was the cause in previous editions of GW.

In addition to the above, a few things in the rules actually make me think I will like using them:

• You get more standardized powers based on your origins. These do not change between encounters.

• You get to draw 1 Alpha Mutation at 1st level, 2 Alpha Mutations at 4th level, and 3 at 8th level.

• You can overcharge a lot of Alpha Mutations for higher results in exchange for the risk of something going wrong.

• At 10th level, you can choose one (of three) "Uber Features" for your character. One of these allows you to keep an Alpha Mutation between encounters and continue to use it.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I suspect it's going to be more like 45 minutes real time. Besides, there is a pretty good chance that before the game is done you would be rolling up a new character anyhow.

I haven't read the game yet, but I like the idea that mutation happen on a trigger, not at the end of encounters.
It does depend on how often encounters happen. And from what I've read it does happen (switching Alpha powers) between encounters and/or if you roll a 1. I'd be a lot less unhappy if the shift only affected mental powers. So maybe you shift normally until you get a physical mutation and then it stays until a special trigger happens? Something like that might not be so bad. And I do like the explanation for the new weirdness in the world (multiple interpenetrating worlds).

So I suppose if someone invited me to a game I'd give it a try. But I'd be surprised if I enjoyed it as much as I did previous versions.

Deverash

First Post
That seems really wierd to me, and not in the normal 'spirit' of GW. PCs were pretty much defined by their mutations, and now they have a randomly changing selection of them?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Is it like if the have the 'pyrokinetic mutation' they can include a number of pyrokinetic power cards which might be at-will, encounter or daily?

Each origin has 2 attack powers and a utility power. Those are fixed, and you'll have 2 origins. By level 7, you'll have up to 3 alpha mutations at a time, and they will all change at the end of every encounter. When the character rolls a natural 1(called an Alpha Flux), he discards one of them(which could be expended) and draws another to replace it, which can then be used. Some monster abilities also cause Alpha Fluxes as well.

If you build your own deck of Alpha Mutations, you can choose to have all, say, fire powers. You have to have at least 7 cards, and you can't have more than 2 of any one card. So at least you can use your deck to have a "theme" that your powers revolve around.

StarHunter5

First Post
Played Gamma World years ago

I played Gamma World 2nd Edition and I really enjoyed it.
I do not know if I care for this new version,
It seems that they have killed the heart of the game.
I had a character that several nice mutations that I still remember, like Heightened Precision, Heightened Balance, Enhanced Skeleton, as well as a Military Genus [I forget the exact name], I created a Spider Monkey that Temporal Fugue [Twice] and Life Leech <maybe some others as well> and yet he thought he was a normal Spider Monkey, or how about a dog that stands about 3 inches and has triple Sonic Blast [a dog who's bark was worse than his bite].
and I just do not know if you could do those kind of characters with this new version.

Last edited:

Remove ads