the new "New Thread" "Reply" "Quote" buttons

Michael Morris

First Post
:groan:

There are 238 different icons in 3 folders for each style. Currently PHB and Default share an icon set. Electric Blue has the vbulletin default set (which has a blue tint). So, doing a new set for any one style, while possible, is a hell of a lot of work - and not something I'm inclined to do at the drop of a hat.

When I get a chance I'll look into it but guys, 238 images represents a lot of time.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Michael Morris said:
There are 238 different icons in 3 folders for each style. Currently PHB and Default share an icon set. Electric Blue has the vbulletin default set (which has a blue tint). So, doing a new set for any one style, while possible, is a hell of a lot of work - and not something I'm inclined to do at the drop of a hat.

... but...

... what about the old default buttons? Was there something wrong with them?

-Hyp.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Michael Morris said:
Ok, what the heck is everyone talking about - I hit refresh and don't see any white outlines.

For the record, I've never seen any white outlines or pixels either. The pink icon Nifft put up as an example definitely does not have any white border.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Michael Morris said:
They are the ones you see in Electric Blue. The PHB and Default styles are simply greyscales of those.

Actually, given that I'm using the default style with the black background, it's not the buttons that are bothering me.

It's the envelopes.

Why the new envelopes?

-Hyp.

Michael Morris

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Actually, given that I'm using the default style with the black background, it's not the buttons that are bothering me.

It's the envelopes.

Why the new envelopes?

-Hyp.

Ask the folks at vbulletin why cause I dunno. They came with the program. I didn't do them. I will find a replacement for them if you guys hate them enough (and seems like you do).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Umbran said:
For the record, I've never seen any white outlines or pixels either. The pink icon Nifft put up as an example definitely does not have any white border.

It's got definite white fringing here, on the left and underside.

Are you seeing the new big red/pink envelope with the little white arrow, or the old small red envelope with the black dot? When Nifft first posted his message, I saw the old black dot envelope (which was fine, and has been for an awfully long time), but since refreshing the cache, I see the new ugly one with the white fringe.

attachment.php

-Hyp.

Attachments

• envs.jpg
    envs.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 284

Psionicist

Explorer
Honestly, ENW-crew, what are you doing? You are slowly turning the boards into "Gator", I haven't seen this much clutter and unnecessary images, colors etc. since 199[6-7] when every new homepage had javaapplets and animated GIFs. This is horrible, ENW (with ENW I mean the forum) has become the ugliest webpage I have seen in a while, and frankly I don't like it because it used to be quite clean (the vBulletin 2.x-layout). You know what? I think everyone agrees more or less but doesn't have the heart to tell you.
Ever single one of all the active users here has put up with lots of things that would kill a typical forum within a month, such as the excessive downtime, don't make this worse by experimenting with the design in public! Please understand that a forum with even over a few thousand users is like a 5-million-pound oil tanker, you cannot just change things around from one day to another without disturbing the peace.
Why don't you listen to the users for instance? There are a dozen threads that says "please fix the message preview when hovering the table cell". There are no single thread that says "please change the post reply button to something that's not meant for this background color". This is not a playground for theme design for the love of god!
My suggestion: There exists a perfectly functional vBulletin 2.x-style theme for vB 3, it is even in the default install but you have removed it from the list of user selectable themes for some reason. Make it the default theme, and change it so it looks exactly like the forum was 5 months ago. Then please don't touch it afterwards.
You guys are so good at running this place (in a non-technical sense) such as posting interesting content in the news and keeping the atmosphere friendly, why don't you put your effort there instead of letting the technical things (such as design etc) you know little about (sorry) get in the way?

We are, in fact, here for the people and atmosphere, right?

Now, you can either write a humorous reply, a defensive reply or a thank-you-for-the-criticism-reply. Please don't write anything, just read this post again. Thanks.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Whoa. What the Frank?

I've got an ENWorld Forum full of butt-ugly icons with bad, bad white fringes all over them. Whatever you're doing, stop doing it.

This just happened today, and I came over to meta to see what the scoop is, and obviously I'm not the only one, so something must be happening. Please do NOT mess with the icons. They're just fine. Like Psionicist said, if you must fiddle, PLEASE fiddle with things that actually need changing, like the message preview hover.

Michael Morris

First Post
Ok, I just got the things to appear and ugh... Who did it??

(Hmm, other than myself only one other person has the permission necessary I know of... )

Here's hoping Russ don't kill me, but those suckers need switching back BAD.

Remove ads