• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The new point-buy?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Re: characters with stats lower than 8 -

Stats, specifically mental stats, are difficult to equate with real world analogies. There's far too many minutiae related to human physical and mental structure that can be translated into 6 different stats for a roleplaying game.

But I'm of the opinion that anything lower than an 8 in any stat, and a character has entered the realm of disability, and most likely should not be involved with the adventuring profession. The possible exception is Wisdom, but I've always considered that a strange distinction for a mental statistic and a bit too narrow for my taste.

The results of having a 4 Int seem pretty obvious. A 4 Cha maybe less so, but I think we have several real life snydromes and disabilities that could represent high Int/low Cha well. Specifically, I'm thinking of severe autism or aspergers, which inhibits social development and seems to have little to do with intelligence as we understand it in the DnD parlance. I think Rainman is another example of a keen logical mind, but who otherwise appears to be mentally handicapped because of his social problems. This kind of person would not constant supervision and I think if played properly, would not do well in a group of heroic adventurers, unless the other players agree to the challenges such a character might represent, and how best to respond to and overcome those challenges in game.

RigaMortus2

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
Personally I prefer Maxed out stats as a rarity, but I've long since been beat down by the increasing level of munchkinism in the D&D community..

Fitz

One person's definition of munchkinism is another person's definition of balance...

Personally, I think any epic level character in 3E is by default a munchkin character, but others would probably disagree and find them as "alright".

I find one (or more) abilities at 18 (with which you start your character with from level 1) as something that is fine or legit. Especially considering that as you level up, you can get ability scores to 25+ w/o any magic (just straight increases from level).

But, to each their own...

Remove ads