The next two phases of the MCU

Mercurius

Legend
Does anyone know if FF will involve Galactus and the Silver Surfer? Or are they going a second (third) round with Doctor Doom? I hope the former, or maybe both.

Stalker0

Legend
Too right. A breather for us (not in content, of course, but in stakes), and an aftermath for the characters.
I'll disagree on the character aftermath. In fact I'd say this phase focused more on "the next generation" than anything else. We get newcomers Shang Chi, the Eternals, Moon Knight, America Chavez, new Black Window, new Captain America (though old falcon so he may not count), Photon, Ms Marvel, soon She-Hulk.

I would say this phase focused far more on the new arrivals than any other theme.

I don't mind that per say, I get that the old Avengers are fading away here and we need to breathe in new life and fresh characters if they want this to go another 5 years or so. However, my critique is that the stories really do feel disconnected. In the original phase 1 stories, we could see how each story tied into the next one. It was subtle but present, often through the end credit scenes. In Phase 2 we could feel the build up behind the scenes....the infinity stones kept popping up, and we started to see little clips of Thanos "beginning to move". Even though it took a while to get to the first avenger movie and then eventually endgame, there was a momentum behind the scenes.

I don't feel that at all in Phase 4. Well, I felt it a little in Shang Chi when we had the end credit scene with Wong, and it looked like Wong might be the new "glue" that ties our stories together. But that fell away over the next many movies, and now it just feels like individual stories unreleated to any grand design. And to me that was the entire reason the MCU worked, was the grand design and "metastory", I don't need that shoved down my throat in every movie, I don't mind it being slow and subtle....but right now it doesn't feel like its there at all.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'll disagree on the character aftermath. In fact I'd say this phase focused more on "the next generation" than anything else.
Oh yeah, that too, of course! Even WandaVision, which dealt with aftermath, also introduced Monica Rambeau and Agatha Harkness. Doctor Strange MoM, which also dealt with aftermath (both for Wanda again and for Strange) also had America and the Illuminati. So yeah, maybe the aftermath stuff was just part of what you get when you use characters that were around before.

Kang is usually portrayed as a descendent of Nathaniel Richards (Reed's father). What exact relation is often confusing, but it's usually considered quite a few generations. (Yes, Franklin has worn the suit, IIRC).

Yeah, I always get those two names mixed up. So isn't Nathaniel Richards a distant descendant who becomes Kang and is named for Reed's father?

Remove ads