• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Odyssey System -- Stripped-down Hot Rod d20 rules

Committed Hero

Adventurer
SirKerry said:
Whereas, I think adding Perception as a attribute makes a huge amount of sense.

I guess it depends - What about skills like Sense Motive, Research and Gather Information, all of which are arguably Perception-based? Will there be feats for specific senses in their place?

Walt C

Explorer
While obviously affiliated with Adamant, these thoughts, as well as any other posts in this thread, are my own and should not be taken as canonical Odyssey System information.

Committed Hero said:
I guess it depends - What about skills like Sense Motive, Research and Gather Information, all of which are arguably Perception-based? Will there be feats for specific senses in their place?
I'd still consider Gather Information a Cha-based skill, since it's all about influencing people.

M&M and True20 folded Research into Knowledge skills. Personally, if I kept Research as a skill, I'd keep it Int-based (knowing how to find information in books or computers strikes me more as Int than Per).

I'd marry Sense Motive to Perception, since it essentially is about how you perceive a person.

Walt

GMSkarka

Explorer
Scurvy_Platypus said:
Compatibility. People already have money invested in their products, and while a simpler version of d20 would appeal to some folks, people aren't really going to be wild with the idea of not being able to use their favorite whatever, or having to jump through all sorts of hoops in order to do so. Show what a typical character build would look like using the default d20 rules, and then show what you toss or fold into something else to arrive at the same character using the new system. A couple of different examples like that showing a couple of different types of characters, and I'd be much more likely to get the product.

Absolutely -- my plan is to include conversion guidelines for d20 Modern, d20 3.5, and possibly 4e (assuming WOTC actually gives publishers a look at the rules some time before they release them....if not, then we'll do a conversion after the fact). We've done a d20-to-FATE conversion already, and it's been pretty well-received, so that sort of thing is definitely a feature that we're shooting for.

Ilium

First Post
SirKerry said:
What I would really like to see is an effects-based power system for modelling magical abilities, spells, superpowers, etc along the lines of Mutants & Mastermind's Ultimate Power (it doesn't need to scale to the high-end superpower levels, but up to the low-end would be nice).

I couldn't agree more. I know such a system would be a ton of work, but I think it would mesh nicely with a classless system (everybody can buy powers as part of a talent tree, etc.).

GMSkarka

Explorer
The other option for skills, recently arrived at in design discussion, is to eliminate them entirely.....

Heroes tend to be well-rounded and resourceful. We could reflect that by allowing leveled ability checks to take the place of skill rolls.

Remember Marvel FASERIP? Heroes could try anything; talents only added a small bonus.

You could work that through the Occupations for specialized usage -- for example, any hero could make an INT check to make a minor car repair, fix a leaky pipe, or build a shed, but only a hero with the Engineer occupation could design and build a bridge.

2WS-Steve

First Post
GMSkarka said:
You could work that through the Occupations for specialized usage -- for example, any hero could make an INT check to make a minor car repair, fix a leaky pipe, or build a shed, but only a hero with the Engineer occupation could design and build a bridge.

Personally I like this solution -- skills as feats (of a sort). What the skill does then is give you a range of special abilities -- picking locks, hacking computers, and so on.

Special abilities are cool and fun to gain -- much more fun than simply incrementing some numbers.

There would probably be some issue with skills that people normally think of as having multiple levels of ability, such as sneaking or disable device -- perhaps a simple tier system such as disable device I, DD II, DD III -- sort of like Uncanny Dodge.

Again, this is just my preference, but I like a smaller number of bigger bumps (like feats) to a large number of small bumps (like skill points).

TonyTempest

First Post
This almost seems like it goes back to Non-Weapon Proficiencies. I thought skills were an improvement over NWP... but I do understand that somepeople assumed if you didn't have points in a skill, you couldn't do it. With FASERIP style talents (or even NWP/Feats) this would indicate those things a character is Really good at.

I have a pilot character in my Thrilling Tales game. The character has feats and bonuses to the piloting skill that by this level (only 6th or 7th) there really isn't a point in putting anymore points there... it's just redundant. So, what do I do with skill points after a certain point? Although this sounds contradictory to previous point, perhaps feats/NWP/or Talents IS the way to go with this. As long as there are ways to differentiate a superior barnstormer/combat pilot and Joe HighDex, I'm good with whatever comes about. I just don't think SWSE has enough steps. Maybe Unskilled/Skilled/Talented skilled/Excellent skilled/Superior Skilled... Five steps to get Joe Nobody to Indiana Jones (I can fly, I just can't land) to Cliff Secord to Buck Rogers to Han Solo (order those as you see fit).

I'm beginning to think Perception as an Ability score might have some issues without associated feats/skills. Spot/Sense Motive/Listen.... you could do that as a simple ability check..... If you don't want it too grainy.

Ah, just ramblin' on...

david

Walt C

Explorer
TonyTempest said:
This almost seems like it goes back to Non-Weapon Proficiencies. I thought skills were an improvement over NWP... but I do understand that somepeople assumed if you didn't have points in a skill, you couldn't do it. With FASERIP style talents (or even NWP/Feats) this would indicate those things a character is Really good at.

<snip>

Ah, just ramblin' on...

david
I'm looking at it as basically three tiers:

In a pulpish game, heroes are considered capable. Without a skill, a hero should be able to grab the controls and keep a plane in the air or drive it along the ground. He might be able to land the plane with professional guidance.

A hero with the Pilot occupation (or whatever occupation covers it) would be able to understand and execute all of the basics with a plane: take-off, landing, holding steady in a storm, navigation, routine maneuvers, etc.

A hero with the Air Ace talent tree is a step above. He can execute advanced (and death-defying) maneuvers. This tree actually includes a number of sub-tiers, so that experienced Air Aces can perform better maneuvers than rookie Air Aces.

Walt

jonrog1

First Post
Scurvy_Platypus said:
True20 vs standalone.
Blue Rose seemed pretty interesting to me, and so did Mutants & Masterminds 1E. True20? Not really interested. It doesn't seem that stripped down to me. Sure it trimmed some stuff, but it's not like it's suddenly into rules-light territory.

Only three roles, a generic FX system, a single d20 to play and a universal damage track? It's ... at the very least rules-lithe if not rules light.

And I'm wondering, what's the situation with the game play wher eyou experience death spiral on the damage tracks? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen it kick up in play. was it the stun-lock problem, or the negative modifiers, or what?

Oh, to make sure this post is at least nominally on topic - will you be able to mix and match the talent trees, or does choodsig from one preclude choosing form others?

Remove ads