• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Odyssey System -- Stripped-down Hot Rod d20 rules

GMSkarka

Explorer
Scurvy_Platypus said:
Are you planning on doing something similar to the Foe Factory as a part of the system?

Yes, there will be a system based on Foe Factory included.

Scurvy_Platypus said:
You guys put out a conversion for d20/Fate. Are you planning on doing an Odyssey/Fate conversion?

Yes, FATE is one of the systems that will receive a conversion guide in the SRD

Scurvy_Platypus said:
I know it's not popular, but are you conversion guidelines going to include notes for BESMd20?

Most likely not. We'll be sticking to currently-supported rules. Current plans include conversion guidelines for d20 (3.5/Modern), True20, FATE, and eventually 4th Edition -- although this won't appear in the initial SRD release.

But as I said, it should be fairly easy to convert any d20-based system once you've seen what we've done.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Things that I'd like to see in the planned Thrilling Tales OS release (apologies if these have already been mentioned -- I'm in a bit of a hurry):

• Simple chase rules -- those in Butch Curry's Core Elements: Toolbox Edition might be a good place to start.

• Mook Rules for nameless NPC lackeys. A nameless criminal henchman does not need to be generated using the same rules for generating PCs.

• Stunts -- or, more correctly, rules for doing stuff that looks cool but is, technically speaking, just next to impossible (e.g., downing a plane with a handgun, using a whip to grab a weapon from an opponent and toss it to an ally, etc).

• Rules for cheating death -- rr, at any rate, a mechanic that makes this possible. Pulp heroes and villains have a knack for surviving circumstances that would kill a normal man.

Armadillo

Explorer
A very interesting idea to use an open choice of talent trees and feats in place of classes. Going without skills might work, particularly if what would be skill checks default to an attribute save that could be modified by a talent and/or a feat. Similarly, a Perception attribute would work if there are talents and/or feats that can modify it to represent someone with heightened or trained perception like Doc Savage, the Shadow, or Batman.

Walt C

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
Is it too late to participate? Is this project still active?
The Odyssey System is currently in active development.

Walt Ciechanowski
Imperial Age Line Developer
Adamant Entertainment

GMSkarka

Explorer
Just to give you a sneak peak at what we're doing, here's a summary of the developments of the Odyssey System:

ABILITIES
• Abilities are rated in bonuses only (+1, +2, etc.), rather than numeric scale.
• New Ability added: Perception
• All Saving Throws are simple ability checks, plus half the character level. (Reflex = DEX, Willpower = WIS, etc.) It is possible to have a "Save" based on any ability.

CLASSES:
• No Character Classes: Everybody is a single "class" -- Occupations give you your basic areas of expertise, and all of the old class abilities are found in Edges (q.v.) which allow players to mix-and-match to their heart's content.

SKILLS
• Eliminated entirely -- Everything handled via Ability checks, plus half-level bonus for normal use, full-level bonus for occupational areas of expertise, and/or bonuses from Edges. (For example: a hero could use DEX to drive, but would only get a regular DEX check + 1/2 their level. A hero with a "Formula One Driver" occupation would get a DEX check + their full level, and a hero with a "Born Behind The Wheel" Edge would get additional bonuses.)

EDGES
• Both Feats and class Talents have been eliminated (kinda-sorta) -- replaced with Edges, which combine their functions. Edges are nifties -- stuff you can do. An Odyssey PC gets 2 Edges per level. Some Edges have pre-reqs, some don't. Players create custom characters through their choice of Edges.

COMBAT & ACTION
• No Hit Points -- Toughness Save (CON) (similar to M&M from Green Ronin), but with results tracked on a Condition Chart.
• Initiative -- Ability check, using average of DEX & PER
• Attack: DEX or STR + character level + Edge bonuses
• Defense: STR (blocking in melee) or DEX (avoidance in melee or ranged) + character level + Edge bonuses.
• Chase Rules based on HOT PURSUIT (check it out for a preview)
• Stunt Point system from MARS. (In short, a roll of 20 gives you a Stunt Point, which is set aside, to be spent later for automatic successes, to gain the use of an Edge you don't have, to bring about a fortunate circumstance, to negate a hit against you, to instantly kill a minor NPC, etc.)

SFX SYSTEMS
• Spells, Psionics, etc. -- Adapted from the SRD or other Open versions, to show how easy the conversion is. Full conversion examples provided in detail.

NPCS
• Using FOE FACTORY style NPC Creation

There's more, of course, but that's a peek at what we're up to.

Tim Gray

First Post
Nifty! Random questions:

* You're a d20-head, and I'm not. What level of compatibility with more "standard" versions are you shooting for? E.g. will these stat numbers work out broadly on par? (I'm guessing that's the whole idea.)

* Couple of examples of Edges?

* Toughness save - the version in True20 is hideously complicated - not helped by errors in early versions of the rules, but in any case with too many different conditions and results to keep track of in one's (OK, my) head. Please tell us that yours isn't like that!

Bretbo

First Post
I like what I'm seeing here! Seems fairly straight forward and intuitive.

Just a F.Y.I., Savage Worlds calls their Feat-like abilities Edges as well. Don't think you'll run into any trouble there, just thought you ought to know (if you didn't already).

Walt C

Explorer
Hello,

I just thought I'd add for the benefit of those that find OS's skill system too free-form that there is an optional rule for incorporating skill lists (either ported from another d20 system or one of your own creation).

Walt

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads